Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I recently saw how tiny the new Eye really is ... it's much, much smaller than I've thought, and especially thinner. I mean, 186mm X 27mm X 27mm ... that's a really thin bit of kit, and certainly makes it easier to pack in with a game, and make it likely to become relatively low-cost soon(ish).

If Sony or someone else manages to find a good gameplay possibility, they can still convince people to buy it, and depending on how things go, they can still start shipping it with the box at a later date. It's all up to Sony to decide how they feel about the device in the future, and how clever they are with their SDKs - e.g. in the UI video, you actually see a user type some text using the DS4 as a pointer, which may or may not require the PS Eye 2.0 tracking the device (the gyro being sensitive enough, this isn't actually necessary - many Move pointer interfaces in games also just used the gyro for controlling a cursor)

Conversely, having Kinect 2.0 as a pack in with the Xbox One doesn't also guarantee success. But it is providing such a tight user interface integration for it that it makes a lot of sense to include it, whereas for the PS Eye 2.0 I am not yet convinced it will be as suitable or necessary as a UI enhancement - the basic features of the DS4 are so expansive that it has enough interfaces by itself, and the PS Eye 2.0 is far less likely to be a reliable input device all on its own than Kinect 2.0 is.

Like Shifty says though, let's wait and see for the companies to provide some actual games that make you want to own it.

The new PS eye was a tick box that Sony thought required ticking. It's done that, but no matter what it's a dead bit of kit.

If Sony or someone else manages to find a good gameplay possibility, they can still convince people to buy it, and depending on how things go, they can still start shipping it with the box at a later date.

If I were in Sony's shoes, I'd have another SKU available at launch for $450 that packs it in the box. Increase the availability of that sku, decrease the one without it. Leave it that way for the first year and wait to see if your devs can find a good use for the device.

If the cam takes off, drop the non-cam sku.

If not, it doesn't hurt to offer both sku’s and continue to move more product w/ the pack-in.

I’ll be getting one as the AR features look neat and it isn’t that expensive.

If I were in Sony's shoes, I'd have another SKU available at launch for $450 that packs it in the box. Increase the availability of that sku, decrease the one without it. Leave it that way for the first year and wait to see if your devs can find a good use for the device.

But MS may decide to reduce prices by $50-$100 to encourage take-up... I don't think Sony will be rushing to give up all the advantages of NOT having to sell the camera.

Personally, I would look to nintendo/Wii for a solution:
"PS4: Little-big-sports-game", $50 with free camera.

Support drone from Killzone SF controlled in the similar way like robots in the Playroom could be enough fun for me to buy PS4 SKU with EYE

But MS may decide to reduce prices by $50-$100 to encourage take-up... I don't think Sony will be rushing to give up all the advantages of NOT having to sell the camera.

Personally, I would look to nintendo/Wii for a solution:
"PS4: Little-big-sports-game", $50 with free camera.

It doesn't matter what MS does. Offering both SKUs at different pricepoints (while not making the eye mandatory) allows Sony great flexibility in getting the device into homes and also beating MS on price by virtue of not requiring the camera to work.

Essentially, using MS' advantages last gen of pricepoint via lower hardware BOM required.

That's horribly inefficient during launch, especially if you expect high demand. I'm glad they learnt that lesson.

That's horribly inefficient during launch, especially if you expect high demand. I'm glad they learnt that lesson.

Agreed not as efficient, but at the same time, it does establish the device in quite a few homes right off the bat which will encourage developers to support it.

Bottom line, ps4's will be flying off the shelf regardless, but this method would also give them a leg up on pseye support.

The new PS eye was a tick box that Sony thought required ticking. It's done that, but no matter what it's a dead bit of kit.

MS sold a bunch of "dead" Kinect Ones last gen. I'm sure Sony would like to "fail" in a similar fashion.

We don't know specifics but for the most part PS EYE 2 and Kinect 2 will have similar functionality for say 1 or 2 people ( depending on the use of the controller ) so there is going to be a good market for cross-platform title that takes a chance on motion control if someone comes up with a compelling reason.

If a game can exploit the Kinect's fidelity in some fashion then great but of course that will involve removing the regular controller from the game I would think. To steal a line, when it comes to the Kintect 2 if you are using a controller you are doing it wrong ;)

MS sold a bunch of "dead" Kinect Ones last gen. I'm sure Sony would like to "fail" in a similar fashion.

We don't know specifics but for the most part PS EYE 2 and Kinect 2 will have similar functionality for say 1 or 2 people ( depending on the use of the controller ) so there is going to be a good market for cross-platform title that takes a chance on motion control if someone comes up with a compelling reason.

If a game can exploit the Kinect's fidelity in some fashion then great but of course that will involve removing the regular controller from the game I would think. To steal a line, when it comes to the Kintect 2 if you are using a controller you are doing it wrong ;)

Kinect was different. It had a massive amount of marketing support and a "new console" like launch. If the new PSEYE was central to Sony's plans it would have been bundled and locked in. It's not, it will have limited support and thus limited appeal, if it does as well (poorly) as move then I'd be shocked.

Kinect was different. It had a massive amount of marketing support and a "new console" like launch. If the new PSEYE was central to Sony's plans it would have been bundled and locked in. It's not, it will have limited support and thus limited appeal, if it does as well (poorly) as move then I'd be shocked.

Well that is an admirably low bar :smile: IF the Kinect 2 becomes a valuable gaming controller why wouldn't that push PS EYE 2 sales as well. What is good for one platform will most likely be good for the other. I understand that performance wise the Kinect 2 eclipses the PSEYE 2 but, to borrow what MS fans say about the XB1 performance deficit relative to the PS4, the Sony solution could be good enough.

...the Sony solution could be good enough.

Agree, but it likely isn't at this point in time (otherwise we'd see more out of Sony in pushing kinect-like abilities.

This is likely the reason why Sony isn't bundling as it gives credence to MS' approach while also showing a vulnerability on day one.

As is, kinect2 is an afterthought in the minds of gamers, at least initially.

Kinect is cool tech ..........I don't care what a so called hardcore gamer thinks its cool tech exspecialy now kinect two is very impressive .
I look at it like any controller it takes three or four revisions untill we get to the right place .........modern controllers were not made in a day .kinect is the same it will take time for the technology behind it to mature to a level we all feel comfortable with .

One thing about kinect all it has to bring to the table is family gaming where a 4 year old can play with a 90 year old and as far as I'm concerned its delivered on its promise .

Playing darts on kinect with my nieces and nephews ages ranging from 5 to 13 was fun ........watching my nieces on dance central was a laugh exspecialy when my wife and here sister decided to join in .

Kinect is a fine piece of family entertainment with the right software that's why it was successful .
Personally I can't wait to see what they come up with now its improved no end .

If not, it doesn't hurt to offer both sku’s and continue to move more product w/ the pack-in.

I think they said they need more time to make a real difference. They will consider a PS4 PSEye bundle when they are ready. If it's the same old motion control and AR experience, it's this gen. Hope they learn a thing or two from their Wonderbook and Move projects.

I pre-ordered a PSEye 2 just to check it out.

I would rather Sony wait for cost of production to fall a bit and then stick PS Eye in all future skus of the console. Early adopters are probably the most likely to purchase a PS Eye as a separate purchase especially if it becomes a standard feature in all the future skus.

Otherwise, PS Eye's potential will be stunted as peripheral.

The problem for Sony is that Eyetoy isn't complete with just the camera, you still need the Move setup unless you intend to use the DS4 with it's light for control which still doesn't seem all that ergonomical to me.

IMO motion controls have to be able to do something we want to do now better or they don't make sense and at this point in all but a few exceptions a traditional controller offers a superior experience.

On an unrelated bit of news however Gametrailers published its list of winners for E3 and Sony won both the conference and best line-up awards.

The problem for Sony is that Eyetoy isn't complete with just the camera, you still need the Move setup unless you intend to use the DS4 with it's light for control which still doesn't seem all that ergonomical to me.

IMO motion controls have to be able to do something we want to do now better or they don't make sense and at this point in all but a few exceptions a traditional controller offers a superior experience.

On an unrelated bit of news however Gametrailers published its list of winners for E3 and Sony won both the conference and best line-up awards.

In my opinion Kinect and PS Eye are the future of computer interaction. They can basically act as a computer mouse without the need of physically interacting with any hardware while serving as a 3 dimensional pointing device. Plus they offer way more functionality that isn't even possible with a mouse like 3D modelling.

You don't put the level of investment MS put into Kinect for purpose of simply serving as ancillary game controller. And Im pretty sure Sony can easily overcome some of the limitations of the PS Eye when Sony sees the direction MS is actually going with Kinect. Notice how Kinect on PC has basically very little to do with games?

I know people are suspicious of cameras and their surveillance capabilities but the DCMA contains language that provides exemptions when it comes to the collection of personal data. It will perfectly legal to circumvent the XB1's and PS4's DRM if Sony and MS chooses to collect data in a way thats not readily described to gamers. Therefore, I will have no qualms of stripping out the DRM and partaking in the software of a third party ecosystem if MS or Sony choose to collect data in a way I find offensive and not describe in the TOS or EULA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly.

What is the reason even Xbox gamers would want to set the controller down and use K2 to play their games? It sounds like the latency will be worse so it won't work as well for games where timing is crucial.

I grant that it's better for more social or party games or exercise games. But they already had that with K1 and the challenge was supposedly to make it more compelling for core games.

I saw someone playing COD with a controller which looks like an assault weapon on Piers Morgan. So with K2, you'll be pretending to hold a rifle instead? Or with Rock Band, you'll be playing air guitar instead of buying a guitar-shaped controller?

If they can get timing and body sensing accuracy right, it could change the way we play sports games. Change it, but not necessarily improve it. Imagine playing a basketball game with Kinect support. So it tracks your jump shooting motion and if you don't align your arms and elbows correctly or snap follow through and release at the top of your jump, maybe you shoot bricks in the video game?

But in that case, are you playing a video game doing things you can't do in real life or are you using the game to improve your real life skills? I think most people would become frustrated if the controls of a game were so strict that you can't pull off good plays consistently in the video game.

Plus, do you really want to jump in your living room dozens of times, especially after a long day after which you just want to relax on the couch?

I think the Kinect technology could be very useful for all the golfers, who practice all the time and watch videos to improve their mechanics. If Kinect can accurately capture their motion and software could analyze their swings, to detect problems with their grip, the way they rotate or don't rotate their hips, etc.

But again, I'm not sure that kind of kinetic precision is as useful for games.

This actually appeals to me. I've tried motion controlled games. I think they have their place. But it isn't in my home. Microsoft have shown little to persuade me that paying for Kinect 2 is something I should be thrilled at.

Exactly.

What is the reason even Xbox gamers would want to set the controller down and use K2 to play their games? It sounds like the latency will be worse so it won't work as well for games where timing is crucial.

I grant that it's better for more social or party games or exercise games. But they already had that with K1 and the challenge was supposedly to make it more compelling for core games.

I saw someone playing COD with a controller which looks like an assault weapon on Piers Morgan. So with K2, you'll be pretending to hold a rifle instead? Or with Rock Band, you'll be playing air guitar instead of buying a guitar-shaped controller?

If they can get timing and body sensing accuracy right, it could change the way we play sports games. Change it, but not necessarily improve it. Imagine playing a basketball game with Kinect support. So it tracks your jump shooting motion and if you don't align your arms and elbows correctly or snap follow through and release at the top of your jump, maybe you shoot bricks in the video game?

But in that case, are you playing a video game doing things you can't do in real life or are you using the game to improve your real life skills? I think most people would become frustrated if the controls of a game were so strict that you can't pull off good plays consistently in the video game.

Plus, do you really want to jump in your living room dozens of times, especially after a long day after which you just want to relax on the couch?

I think the Kinect technology could be very useful for all the golfers, who practice all the time and watch videos to improve their mechanics. If Kinect can accurately capture their motion and software could analyze their swings, to detect problems with their grip, the way they rotate or don't rotate their hips, etc.

But again, I'm not sure that kind of kinetic precision is as useful for games.

Do I have to put down my keyboard to use a mouse?

Motion control is in its infancy and will mature with time. Motion control will evolve in the same fashion as the controllers we have now except the evolution can happen at a faster pace because capability can be expanded through software development unlike physical controllers where you forced to wait until new hardware is released.

Just because all you see is something akin to a 2600 joystick doesn' t mean something in the form of a DS4 isn't on its way.

Inclusion as a standard part will help facilitate that evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion Kinect and PS Eye are the future of computer interaction. They can basically act as a computer mouse without the need of physically interacting with any hardware while serving as a 3 dimensional pointing device. Plus they offer way more functionality that isn't even possible with a mouse like 3D modelling.

Actually, touch is already there and even MS is investing in touch, probably more than they have on Kinect, given that it's key part of W8 and 8.1 and is key to them staying relevant.

Voice is also more likely but not the same VR that's been around 20 years but the NLP stuff, with agents and such.

Back