Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Not to sound like a broken record, but a work pc or regular pc has nothing to do with it. A gaming pc is just that, a pc with Windows, Steam, and games, nothing more. That's how you get stability. If you introduce a million variables like work pc's do, or overclock, tinker with game config files, etc, then sure you are asking for issues. But a gaming pc remains clean.

So in other words - what you're suggesting is treat and use the PC like..... a console. :oops:

A console sans the global username that works on all games, the consistant user experience, the need to avoid *ever* setting up any config files (probably with a mouse or keyboard), the requirement to ever take it apart and exchange hardware parts (like a newer graphics card), the beat 'em up or (other types of games that are not found on PC) etc...

What you have essentially demonstrated is that you brought *your* PC closer to the experience us console gamers have been experiencing since 20 years (longer if I include gaming on NES and SNES) - but in the end, it still doesn't match the console plug & play experience. And if you are used to certain types of games or certain franchises, then there is no reason despite visuals to go there that all.

To me, it's an apples to oranges comparison. Two completely different experiences. You are the one trying to convince that they are not that disimilar. Well, just by ignoring the points that I brought up where these two experiences differ, doesn't mean they are closer. These points may not matter to you, but they do to others.

Perhaps to avoid going around in circles:

With your PC - can you

1.) refrain from using a mouse or keyboard at all times?
2.) use wireless controllers in a plug & play manner?
3.) use a single gamer-identity across all games?
4.) download, install and play games without having to use a keyboard/mouse and edit config files?
5.) avoid having to set-up games to suit your gamepad?
6.) use wireless headsets that *just work*
7.) plug in and use up to 7 wireless gamepads and play games that are made for that?
8.) how convinient is it to do all that, without the use of a keyboard/mouse?

Even if the majority to those questions are answered by a yes - how long does it take to set up? And at that point, you're still left with a rather big noisy box in your livingroom and without the consistant experience. Some of us actually value these things. ;)

I don't understand why people see this as the case. Many of us pc gamers became Playstation gamers first for the simple reason that it was available years before Xbox ever hit the scene. It wasn't Xbox that killed off pc gaming for many folk, it was the ps1 and ps2.

Killed off is a strong word. I wouldn't actually know. I would however care to point out that PC had online-gaming over PS1 and PS2. The Xbox was the first console that introduced online multiplayer out of the box. Then there's also the point that it being a console by Microsoft and the hardware that was touted as a 'very good PC inside a box', it immediately had PC gamers interested. The trend continued with games: Halo became the Xbox game (after it was cancelled for PC and PS2) and many developers followed as well, at the least by giving it support - perhaps due to the friendly hardware environment they knew so well, compared to the complex and complicated PS2.

If there is any weight to the whole argument - I would say the PlayStation market is a bit more diverse than the one Xbox had. This might have changed over the course of two generations, but back in the Xbox day, I think many gamers there were predominently PC gamers. PS2 of course also had its share from the PC crowd, but those probably left the PC longer ago (like me).

I don't understand why people see this as the case. Many of us pc gamers became Playstation gamers first for the simple reason that it was available years before Xbox ever hit the scene. It wasn't Xbox that killed off pc gaming for many folk, it was the ps1 and ps2

The PC killed off PC gaming.

The cost of cutting edge graphics cards was 50% of a machine and needed to be upgraded every year if you wanted to play state of the art games with state of the art visual fidelity.

For developers it meant dealing with two orders of magnitude difference in graphics performance. The number configurations just made it worse when CPUs became multicore. Hell, most games still can't get CPU affinity rigth on the PC (looking at you ES:Skyrim).

That, and piracy.

PC gaming is likely to see a revival now, that PCs can be mandated to be online to curb piracy, while the integrated graphics of both AMD and Intel's offerings are an adequate baseline for a lot of games.

Cheers

I don't think you are understanding.

PS4 == game console with extra features, just like PS3
Xbox One == full package with lots of features that are unknown how they will work in the EU. Also plays games.

It's not the games that the EU is unsure of. That is a given. It's about the entire package. Microsoft were the ones who demonstrated what more their console could do; their vision of the centered livingroom experience. They even devoted pretty much the entire reveal to that. Those are pretty much the questions that are yet unanswered that us Europeans are especially interested about.

There isn't something that needs 'special' EU catering in what Sony has demonstrated with PS4 so far. No features that are exclusive to one market, but just a logical extension of everything that we already know on the PS3 so far.

Sure I get that MS is offereing a featureset that may or may not have value becasue of how it was presented. I think that MS mentioned that would be other region specific showings in the future. MS is going into the AVS forums areas with impacts on Broadcast packages worldwide.

Basically All folks are saying is Sony is just games and social the EU understands that.

WRT to games the games will be the same worldwide - im not getting that that was what Nesh was talking about.

Maybe MS plans on showing up at broadcasters and electronics events like CeBiT showing how EU clients can benefit from the XB1 features in way as valuable as NA?

So Ars has a story that headsets won't be included but you can use Kinect to chat.

Kinect is raising the BOM and causing downgraded or omission of components?

They're really putting a lot on Kinect ...

From my perspective, if they intend on continuing to include crap headsets, as sony has chosen (and MS did last time), I'd just as soon they not bother.

From my perspective, if they intend on continuing to include crap headsets, as sony has chosen (and MS did last time), I'd just as soon they not bother.

As long as kinect works as advertised, I agree.

Having said that, I've never used/heard a kinect setup that sounded as good as a headset.

So if the new kinect doesn't suffer from these issues (echo, volume fluctuations, muddling, background noise intermittently coming in and out) then great, if not, well, I'll be enjoying my headset on the ps4 regardless. ;)

Might as well save the cash if I'm MS and k2 does the trick, but call me skeptical.

So Ars has a story that headsets won't be included but you can use Kinect to chat.

Kinect is raising the BOM and causing downgraded or omission of components?

They're really putting a lot on Kinect ...

I agree. I hope its worth it. They must REALLY trust their Kinect solution.

bkillian said that it works as advertised in even in loud rooms.

I've tried using the PlayStation Eye on PS3 for audio chat, and it was always useless for it, despite Sony's big talk about the beamforming / echo cancellation features provided by the microphone array.

I'm sure that Kinect is worlds better than the PS Eye was, but I'm looking forward to finally having a headset connected to my controller.

I've tried using the PlayStation Eye on PS3 for audio chat, and it was always useless for it, despite Sony's big talk about the beamforming / echo cancellation features provided by the microphone array.
How much did they talk about that feature? The mic array was reported as good for that purpose, but that was it by my recollection. They even added a sound setup option to test echo cancellation but never told anyone! It appeared as a triangle button option one day on the audio settings. When used, it still suffered from echo but it was reasonably usable.

Aren't bluetooth headsets supported?

Yes, and USB ones as well. In our house, I had the PS3 in a room behind the TV wall, and I got a USB-over-Cat6 extender that let me plug USB devices into a hub behind the couch, so I was able to use a USB headset when the PS Eye didn't cut it.

Of course, the PS3 only ever supported one headset, maximum, so it wasn't useful for split screen online games and such. The 360 always did such a better job with voice chat.

How much did they talk about that feature? The mic array was reported as good for that purpose, but that was it by my recollection. They even added a sound setup option to test echo cancellation but never told anyone! It appeared as a triangle button option one day on the audio settings. When used, it still suffered from echo but it was reasonably usable.

They didn't talk about it anything like Microsoft talks about Kinect, and deservedly so. ;)

Actually what kind of jack do they have on the DS4?

Would it be asking too much for them to use the same audio jack that would work with the headphones and mic that come with every smart phone these days?

Enter the cloud...

Interesting article on Titanfall's cloud usage, and some insight as to why the cries of "But developers can just use Amazon or Google!" are trying to answer the wrong question.
Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers.
So it looks like if you are building an XBox game, you get preferential pricing on the Azure cloud. This will be very hard for developers to match with Amazon EC or Google, because those companies can't offset the price with licensing revenues.
http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

So it's hosting, not cloud computing?

ETA: Is Titanfall an MMO? Will there be a surcharge over the XBL Gold subscription to play it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually what kind of jack do they have on the DS4?

Would it be asking too much for them to use the same audio jack that would work with the headphones and mic that come with every smart phone these days?

Nope, that's what they've got on there, seemingly.

Interesting article on Titanfall's cloud usage, and some insight as to why the cries of "But developers can just use Amazon or Google!" are trying to answer the wrong question.
So it looks like if you are building an XBox game, you get preferential pricing on the Azure cloud. This will be very hard for developers to match with Amazon EC or Google, because those companies can't offset the price with licensing revenues.
http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Which makes perfect sense. Microsoft gets to cross-subsidize their cloud services while they scale it up and make a business out of it, and they get a competitive advantage against Sony. Win-win.

Back