Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I see adding video chat as a definite positive for the XBox. This type of communication is becoming more and more important as families become more mobile. Having an easy to use interface for people who might be a little less technically savy is a good thing.

I agree, the main problem me and my wife have had with it is that the Skype device is on a different input hence we would miss calls from family back home. Nothing is worse that a disappointed 7 year old niece :( With the hdmi in on the xb1 I'm hoping we can plug our directv receiver into that, so that way tv inputs are a thing of the past and we're always connected and ready to go.

It's not about switching as much as it is multitasking. How do you know your multiplayer game is ready if you've switched inputs to do something else. The whole point is to be able to know what's going on all the time and not leaving one experience for another.

Picture-in-Picture from two inputs? My Bravia, which is a good three years old, has that. My Samsung before (four years old) had it too. Having the PS3 screen show in a window in the top-right hand corner while I'm watching TV (rare) or something from the XBMC box.

I agree, the main problem me and my wife have had with it is that the Skype device is on a different input hence we would miss calls from family back home. Nothing is worse that a disappointed 7 year old niece :( With the hdmi in on the xb1 I'm hoping we can plug our directv receiver into that, so that way tv inputs are a thing of the past and we're always connected and ready to go.

So instead of taking that Skype call on any number of always on portable devices with built in cameras, you have to have your XB1 and TV on and you have to be in that room.

So instead of taking that Skype call on any number of always on portable devices with built in cameras, you have to have your XB1 and TV on and you have to be in that room.

No he can still use those devices, he can just also use the one on his tv. In fact he could probably get the notification on his tv and answer it on his phone, tablet or pc if he wanted.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding added functionality? You don't lose anything.

@Tap In - tie that 24hr check into smartglass, now your phone does not even need to tether the connection.

No he can still use those devices, he can just also use the one on his tv. In fact he could probably get the notification on his tv and answer it on his phone, tablet or pc if he wanted.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding added functionality? You don't lose anything.
Indeed.

You have access to all of this stuff on your TV at any time, without having to pick up a controller or remote. The ultimate smart TV.

All of these features add value to Xbox One. To say they don't is silly really. You may as well say that consumers don't care about Skype, NFL Football, Smart TV, On Demand Movies, simplified controls etc...

There are a few "special" people out there that don't care about any of that stuff, but generally most people do. :)

The question remains about HOW MUCH they do. I don't think $100 is too far off the mark...

All of these features add value to Xbox One. To say they don't is silly really. You may as well say that consumers don't care about Skype, NFL Football, Smart TV, On Demand Movies, simplified controls etc...

There are a few "special" people out there that don't care about any of that stuff, but generally most people do. :)

The question remains about HOW MUCH they do. I don't think $100 is too far off the mark...

No! Dont you know we are supposed to only care about the games and nothing else! :p

Vice-versa actually. :)

LOL. I was confused at first but I think I take your meaning! If my commodity only moved ~2M units over a great many years I think I'd have a problem continuing to support said region but I think we have a thread for this exact topic from months ago.

They're not worth a penny if you don't use them.

No way I would route my gear through a console instead of my receiver. I didn't spend thousands on my surround sound system to have the console be the last component in the chain before the TV.

No way I would route my gear through a console instead of my receiver. I didn't spend thousands on my surround sound system to have the console be the last component in the chain before the TV.

Why would you route your receiver through your console if you spent thousands on audio equipment? Why would anyone with a receiver put the console last?? How would the receiver get the audio information from the XBO?

Some more anecdotal stuff from me. Went to mediamarkt to buy The Last of Us, and I also came back with Diggs Wonderbook (as it's actually only 25 euro with the book included) and I pre-ordered a PS4. We talked a bit, and the guy showed me the current state. I was 21st for PS4(! - so not even guaranteed the first shipment, though this store tends to get a fair number, PS3 was something like 100). The Xbox One was at 7. We talked some more, and he was himself not yet decided - he, like me, wanted to see how the WinRT stuff pans out, assuming that games otherwise won't look that different. This was the same at work - most people were clearly pro PS4 (there are currently two Xbox owners there and eight or so PS3, but these are older guys and I'm convinced it gets more even if you go to the younger age-group), but one guy was like me curious about the multi-media, WinRT and Kinect stuff. But they both (like me) just haven't nearly seen enough yet from Microsoft to be convinced at this piont.

I'm still really attracted to Forza, but only play with racing wheels, and here they have yet to convince me that they haven't screwed me over a second time (forced me to buy a Microsoft Wheel last time, and now that one may not even be supported, whic if true I would have to get a new one, which is simply not happening - fool me once, but then reward me)

I'm one of them. ;) Or rather, things like 'on demand movies' are covered by lots of competing platforms and not something special about XB1, so the only things unique to XB1 that you've mentioned are Skype (which I despise because it replaced Messenger with a broken chat client that crashes PCs), and NFL football which I don't care for and few outside of the US do. So from a business perspective, XB1 isn't offering a compelling value proposition for its increased price. Things like video conferencing as part of the living room experience with the convenience of a living room phone-call would be awesome, but it requires both parties to have an XB1. Unless you are going to talk everyone into getting an XB1, it's a somewhat marginalised feature.

Nor is a console in general, if you don't own a TV. The value of a feature is determined by the userbase and the pool of potential consumers not by any one individual.

Things like video conferencing as part of the living room experience with the convenience of a living room phone-call would be awesome, but it requires both parties to have an XB1. Unless you are going to talk everyone into getting an XB1, it's a somewhat marginalised feature.

Is XB1 based Skype only XB1 to XB1?

Its unified messaging so all of your devices will "ring". You could receive a call but happen to get the notification on your tv/xbox one because that's where you were at that moment. Take the call or not.

I'm one of them. ;) Or rather, things like 'on demand movies' are covered by lots of competing platforms and not something special about XB1, so the only things unique to XB1 that you've mentioned are Skype (which I despise because it replaced Messenger with a broken chat client that crashes PCs), and NFL football which I don't care for and few outside of the US do. So from a business perspective, XB1 isn't offering a compelling value proposition for its increased price. Things like video conferencing as part of the living room experience with the convenience of a living room phone-call would be awesome, but it requires both parties to have an XB1. Unless you are going to talk everyone into getting an XB1, it's a somewhat marginalised feature.

Video Skype is available across all ecosystems, ios, android, mac, pc and wp8. I can't imagine that MS limits this implementation to only xb1 to xb1. No way.

Back