Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

You dont know Batman the Animated Series which won like 4 emmys or the Xmen animated series? How about Super friends which aired for 13 seasons?

Marvel and DC based cartoons have showed up in one form or another for forever. The Dark Knight, Xmen, Avengers, Iron Man and Spiderman franchises had huge successes because of all those comics and cartoons catering to children.

Presenting adults with mature adaptations of stories and characters that those adults experienced in their youth is a pretty common endeavor.

Didn't all those started a comics.?

And they are mighty old at least some,like Batman,spider man.

But i can see a Halo cartoon doing good,cartoon are watched by millions of people every day,and can reach out more than the game could on normal television.

Fun question for E3:
Which platform do you expect multi-platform games will be shown on?
Box X/Y?/both?/PC?

I assume it's both a political and practical question - how did it work last gen?

If there's a deal with the console company, that console. If no-one's showing new hardware, PC. If all options are available, whichever versions is running best.

For those who have been to E3, does any game get shown on different platforms side-by-side? Have we seen EA showcasing games on 360 and Ps3 and PC next to each other? I imagine not as it'd highlight any weaker versions and doesn't serve any useful purpose as long as you advertise "available for all platforms" enough.

I think Shifty is right. When I was going to E3 many years ago they would never show their games on multiple systems side-by-side. You usually don't have time to do more than one special E3 demo. That would take too many resources away from devs trying to get the games done.

Tommy McClain

Gaffers are saying MS is paying companies a generous sum for not showing and talking about the PS4 version in E3. According to them, it's a last minute offer. Not sure who took the $$$ yet.

I guess we shall see. Interesting E3.

Gaffers are saying MS is paying companies a generous sum for not showing and talking about the PS4 version in E3. I guess we shall see.

Isn't stuff like this against the law? I might be wrong, but I would think anti-competition actions like these would have some legal implications. It's one thing to spend money to get others to promote your product - but it's another to pay money to keep them quiet about a competitor.

People are acting like this is something new. It's happened many times before. The long console cycle has made people forget about past console launches.

Tommy McClain

Isn't stuff like this against the law? I might be wrong, but I would think anti-competition actions like these would have some legal implications. It's one thing to spend money to get others to promote your product - but it's another to pay money to keep them quiet about a competitor.

If true...

Microsoft style competition.
Not illegal until you become a monopoly. ^_^

In any case, dumbo11's question has an added angle.

Gaffers are saying MS is paying companies a generous sum for not showing and talking about the PS4 version in E3. According to them, it's a last minute offer. Not sure who took the $$$ yet.

I guess we shall see. Interesting E3.

It would be funny if the ps4 version is the only one ready to show and circle square and triangle kept showing up in the game while the devs deny all knowledge of a ps4 version.

You would hope none of the devs took the cash but I bet one or two did.

I have something for GAF too.
Several developers and key figures working for MS are actually members of the "Sony Elite Secret Saboteur Team". :yep2:

Yes, but these are the system wars. Reality is incidental.

If the parties focus on killing each other instead of the big picture, it is possible to end up worse off for all. Wouldn't be the first case study in MBA though. Sometimes, they raise the cost of business without achieving their targets in the long game.

What are the odds that Microsoft drops the price of the Xbox One to $399? Surely they must have considered what Sony might have priced the PS4 at before they announced the price. And there was nothing pushing them to announce the price of the Xbox One at E3 today (Xbox 360 price was announced in August, Wii U in September)

What are the odds that Microsoft drops the price of the Xbox One to $399? Surely they must have considered what Sony might have priced the PS4 at before they announced the price. And there was nothing pushing them to announce the price of the Xbox One at E3 today (Xbox 360 price was announced in August, Wii U in September)

It depends on what the actual cost of the one is

If they are making a huge margin on it, they may just try to blow Sony out of the water with content to try to bleed them out

We are living in crazy world. Seem PS4 is more like the x360 than xbone.

All have paid online gaming
Headset included - not in xbone
$399 launch price
Gaming machine vs all in one machine.

I guess if it pays off for MS they will make a killing but it doesnt look that good right now.

Sony sacrificed PS Eye to make the 399 price point. It is good for the hardcore market for sure, but it remains to be seen what the long term cost will be. The casual market is not going to buy the device at 499, so it may have been the right decision. First to 10 million may be safe (this was MS theory last-gen). The PS Eye also clearly cannot compete with Kinect technically, especially if they didn't also include the Move controller. So focus on making the most of the new DualShock seems the only right choice. They can make bundles later when the console reaches a casual friendly price range. Kinect 1.0's good sales but failure to impress may have made an included camera an even tougher sale. Besides that, MS marketing budget means first 10 million consoles need to cost an additional $100 just to cover that, right?

Secret winner here may be Nintendo, as for at least a little while their 'niche' is not threatened by Sony and MS (but it still is very much by tablets, 3DS seems safe but Wii U not certain).

Paid online multiplayer on both HD consoles is a big win for PC, and will keep a fair amount of gamers on PC. Keeping the multimedia apps outside the paywall however is smart, and something Microsoft should consider.

If I heard correctly, playing PS3 games through GaiKai straight from the 'Cloud' is coming this year, first to PS3 and PS4, and then to Vita?

A lot of unknowns remain, and I wouldn't like betting. Will leave DRM considerations to another thread. But a $499 console is not the best of ideas in the current climate, I am afraid. Long term plan though, having Kinect be a part from day one may end up worth it. Big and gutsy gamble though at that price.

KB-Smoker, not to mention their PS4 Eye is sold separately, so it won't get wide support -- very similar to the Xbox 360 Kinect.

At these currently listed prices my early call is MSFT continues their very successful NA sales with declines in EU and SONY increases their EU and NA (slightly) while Japan remains mostly irrelevant from a home console hardware sell-through perspective for each of the platform holders.

Back