Sockets (Intel P3)

Roger Kohli

Newcomer
Is it right that
FCPGA = Coppermine
FCPGA2 = Tualatin?

I want to buy a P3 1.26GHz, but my motherboard only supports Coppermine processors. There seem to be two versions of the 1.26 but my vendor only specifies them as FCPGA and FCPGA2.

I was under the impression that Coppermine at 1.13 never worked.

(yeah, I know I should get an Athlon or a P4 but I don't want to change my motherboard at the moment).

Is it right that
FCPGA = Coppermine
FCPGA2 = Tualatin?
Yes it is, but all 1.26GHz are Tualatin/FCPGA2.

I have a P3-S (server tualatin with 512kb cache) and it is cool, quiet and fast :D

Unfortunatelly you will need a new mobo with i815 B-step.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pascal on 2002-02-19 23:08 ]</font>

My vendor definately has an FCPGA 1.26 listed and at a slightly lower price than the FCPGA2 version. Maybe I should phone and ask, but I'm doubtfull of the salesman knowing the difference!

A 1.26 must be FCPGA2, perhaps one is an OEM and the other retail and the descriptions were typed differently?

a very nice fcpga2 board is an abit st2. Also, you might want to reconsider buying a true pentium 3 tualatin. Thing is, Celeron 1.2ghz and up is exact the same CPU as tualatin, it has SSE, and 256kb L2 cache. Only difference being that celeron works @ 100mhz fsb and tualatin @ 133. However, if you have a nice hsf, you should be able to up you celerons fsb to 133 without a problem. This way your 1.2 celeron will turn into 1.6 tualatin. I have retail hsf (tiny fan) and I was able to overclock it to 1.5 (125mhz fsb). Celeron 1.2 costs about 80 bucks now.

Back