Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you guys are watching vids of games at the show, declaring your best in show, and that amounts to a technical discussion? Amazing.

Edit: If the mods want to delete my posts as part of the cleanup, please do.

No, but discussion of objective things like 60fps and 1080P are kind of meaningless if the demo is running on a PC and not the real APU. This goes for the PS4 demos too. If the demo for The District where the stage guy was using a DS4 was actually a PC, I would be pissed. It amounts to a bold faced lie.

We are going to have lot of situations like the recent Alien game, where the final product does not look or perform like the demo.

Maybe there should be a general non-tech thread for this stuff.

PS. I commend the Cryotek dev for clearing up the Ryse demo. We need more of this concrete info and less obfuscation.

No, but discussion of objective things like 60fps and 1080P are kind of meaningless if the demo is running on a PC and not the real APU. This goes for the PS4 demos too. If the demo for The District where the stage guy was using a DS4 was actually a PC, I would be pissed. It amounts to a bold faced lie.

They are only meaningless if we've made them up ourselves. As far as i know the only talk about 1080/60p has been when a developer claims that's what the game will be (i.e. Forza 5, BF4). If it doesn't end up being that, it will come out in the wash at that time, and at that point you can discuss what liars developers are. Playing detective around dev kits, which are always PCs at some point, is a complete waste of time. There may be downgrades or upgrades by the time these games come out but this conversation is circular and not in harmony with the topic.

It is unreal. I honestly thought we would be seeing proper XBox One and PS4 demos at E3...but it seems that has not been the case. It now means that we will have to wait until both boxes are released before we can compare like for like.

I think it just annoys me and others, when we are being told fibs from MS and developers.

Things are just not adding up. We are hearing rumours days/weeks before E3, that supposed XBox One games on show will actually be higher specced PC demo's. And then when we actually get to see some proper "In-Engine" Gameplay, there are reports that they are running on HP Windows 7 boxes or Super-powered Laptops?

As far as I know, we MS has only properly demo-ed 4 big titles with "In-Engine" Gameplay, being Ryse, Forza 5, Battlefield 4 & TitanFall....and in all intends and purposes, all these games were run on PC's (not too sure about TitanFall).

Some proper clarity would be good.

I agree this is not the thread to talk about this. ;)

Edit: BTW: I'm skeptical because of what CBOAT said. But this is isn't any proof that the retail version of the game is going to look worse.

CBOAT said a load of things would happen at the MS event, guess what, some of them were completely wrong.

So the technical comparison thread has now devolved into an argument about whether X1 games are running on PC devkits, and whether that is a deliberate attempt to deceive gamers for nefarious reasons? Fuck this forum, seriously. It's become a joke.

Its really incredible. And blatantly in one direction.. Done with this thread,

XboxOne dev kit probably means XboxOne dev kit, and thus XboxOne spec.

Are the wired photos of Xbox One the final rev of the dev kit? I am not sure the numeric LEDs would be inside a production console. Also not sure about the two gold plated SMA connectors but that is much less certain.

So maybe it is running on a dev kit (like the wired one) in some cases and the earlier PC based dev kits on other cases.

Probably best to just wait a few months for the dust to settle.

As far as I know, we MS has only properly demo-ed 4 big titles with "In-Engine" Gameplay, being Ryse, Forza 5, Battlefield 4 & TitanFall....and in all intends and purposes, all these games were run on PC's (not too sure about TitanFall).
I repeat it for the third time now: Ryse did run on Xbox One at the booth. No PC devkit, nothing. The real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told before the show started that several 3rd part publishers would be probably showing games on PC, on both platforms.
AFAIK there are devkits with close to final silicon available for both platforms. I would expect the 1st and 2nd party stuff at least to be on those devkits.
3rd parties are a little different , I don't know when devkits went out in volume to them and it's probably just easier to concentrate on getting the games done rather than dealing with monthly OS and devtool releases on two platforms. So I'd expect at least some to be showing on PC with platform controllers.

It takes months to produce a stable vertical slice demo for E3, many of which are held together by strings and ducttape, I doubt any developer or publisher would risk showing it on untested hardware--dev kits that they just received-- at the actual show.

I was told before the show started that several 3rd part publishers would be probably showing games on PC, on both platforms.
AFAIK there are devkits with close to final silicon available for both platforms. I would expect the 1st and 2nd party stuff at least to be on those devkits.
3rd parties are a little different , I don't know when devkits went out in volume to them and it's probably just easier to concentrate on getting the games done rather than dealing with monthly OS and devtool releases on two platforms. So I'd expect at least some to be showing on PC with platform controllers.

I wonder did the 3rd party games on ps4 run on pc or dev kits? could be a hint about production issues.

It is unreal. I honestly thought we would be seeing proper XBox One and PS4 demos at E3...but it seems that has not been the case. It now means that we will have to wait until both boxes are released before we can compare like for like.

I think it just annoys me and others, when we are being told fibs from MS and developers.

Things are just not adding up. We are hearing rumours days/weeks before E3, that supposed XBox One games on show will actually be higher specced PC demo's. And then when we actually get to see some proper "In-Engine" Gameplay, there are reports that they are running on HP Windows 7 boxes or Super-powered Laptops?

Some proper clarity would be good.

Saw this tweet last night.
https://twitter.com/JazRignall/status/344967744808185857

I wonder did the 3rd party games on ps4 run on pc or dev kits? could be a hint about production issues.

I wouldn't read anything into it either way.
Support for these devkits is usually dropped shortly after launch, and they all have to be replaced.

Although I agree that this thread has become derailed, I do find it rather interesting that this whole thread is actually based on supposition anyway. it seems to have fairly unanimously ascertained that one platform is a fair amount better off than the competition based on rumours which is fine and very interesting reading.

b think that this thread has ended up with this pollution because, as an example, people are being presented with code apparently running on each platform and see one sparse and struggling driving game barely managing 35fps next to another running 1080p, 60fps with more on screen activity and find themselves starting to question the validity of these rumors and indeed the hypothetical conclusions drawn so far on this thread by again going on the evidence they are being presented with. If the rumors said. X, then why are they seeing Y?

Wrong thread still.
As a personal reminder, I am never using my mini Xperia to type on this forum on a bus again.

Although I agree that this thread has become derailed, I do find it rather interesting that this whole thread is actually based on supposition anyway. it seems to have fairly unanimously ascertained that one platform is a fair amount better off than the competition based on rumours which is fine and very interesting reading.

b think that this thread has ended up with this pollution because, as an example, people are being presented with code apparently running on each platform and see one sparse and struggling driving game barely managing 35fps next to another running 1080p, 60fps with more on screen activity and find themselves starting to question the validity of these rumors and indeed the hypothetical conclusions drawn so far on this thread by again going on the evidence they are being presented with. If the rumors said. X, then why are they seeing Y?

Wrong thread still.
As a personal reminder, I am never using my mini Xperia to type on this forum on a bus again.

Nothing hypothetical about 1.8TF (180GB/s BW) vs 1.2TF (70GB/s + 32MB@120GB/s BW) using the exact same architecture and exact same CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
CBOAT said a load of things would happen at the MS event, guess what, some of them were completely wrong.

He got 90% of what he said right. But this is not the thread to discuss this.

Okay, a question to anyone in the know? At what stage is each developer at with their DevKits? I'm sure I read that Sony sent out the final DevKits for the PS4 in January, is this true. Also when did Microsoft sent theirs out? Surely the final DevKit is pretty much indicative of the final console spec?

Okay, a question to anyone in the know? At what stage is each developer at with their DevKits? I'm sure I read that Sony sent out the final DevKits for the PS4 in January, is this true. Also when did Microsoft sent theirs out? Surely the final DevKit is pretty much indicative of the final console spec?

Last rumors said Durango beta kits on dec-jan.

he should have taken a picture. Anyways it's no surprise, i would have expected it from a couple weeks ago. a Microsoft employee promising smooth playback at launch and then showing 1080p 60 fps gameplay footage on stage within days apart.

A 30 minute built pc gaming rig would have given them that quick of a result. enough to show the games on the show floor and then close up the event.

---------------------------------------------------

now, whether or not Microsoft can or will bump the specs of the xbox one based on nefarious reasons is a bit stretching it. I can say that if nothing is working for them they have at least 6 things on their defense that they can work with.

• starting with generalized official xbox one information.
er_photo_192475_52.jpg

• Generic dimensions of the box.

• Generic placements of the parts inside of the box.

• more than enough ventilation spots.

• A massive heat sink and fan combo.

• Price.

This is on the basis that If they were driven enough based on architectural difficulties, wining the developers and of course their original fanbase. we don't know exactly how much microsoft is aiming to be a generalized hardware company for the general masses. in any case as far as reaching the general masses goes, sony is closer as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back