XGI Volari duo V8 Ultra german babelfished preview.

Kaizer

Newcomer
XGI Volari duo V8 Ultra vs. ATI and NVIDIA

German website tecchannel.de has a review of this dual GPU DX9 card here.

Kjetil

Agreed. A whole new card like the Volari needs comprehensive IQ analysis before we can call an article on it a review.

Anandtech linked German another review, too, with more benches IIRC. Here we go.

that first link showed the GFFX5950 beating out the 9800XT in 3dm03 and being very close to it in other dx9 benches.... I don't trust that site :devilish:

Xmas said:
Please, don't call it a review. It's a preview at best.
Not to mention they're previewing a beta board (two power connectors, the actual DuoV8 will have one) with beta drivers (no aa or af enabled in 'em yet).

I'm thinking that this preview ain't exactly what XGI was hoping for, I think it's premature and isn't showing the V8 in it's best light by a long shot. (Yeah, I still have a lot of hope for the duoV8. :) )

digitalwanderer said:
Xmas said:
Please, don't call it a review. It's a preview at best.
Not to mention they're previewing a beta board (two power connectors, the actual DuoV8 will have one) with beta drivers (no aa or af enabled in 'em yet).

I'm thinking that this preview ain't exactly what XGI was hoping for, I think it's premature and isn't showing the V8 in it's best light by a long shot. (Yeah, I still have a lot of hope for the duoV8. :) )
my sentiments exactly. Although, even with it being very much beta it's nice to see that 1) it's actually running! and 2) it easily spanks the FX 5700 already! 8)

Sage said:
my sentiments exactly. Although, even with it being very much beta it's nice to see that 1) it's actually running! and 2) it easily spanks the FX 5700 already! 8)

Yes, but unfortunately, I don't see the Duo V8 being priced the same as the FX 5700. I expect the Duo V8 to MSRP at $299 at least.

It's a cetainly a decent showing for XGI, but unless there are drastic price cuts, (or significant performance improvements with later driver revs), it's unfortunately a bit uninspiring (from a comparison perspective.)

I'm certainly impressed that XGI is managing to get the performance it does. I'm starting to worry though that we won't see it ship this year. That would be really unfortunate.

It took them [XGI] 180m transistors to equal parts that are about 110m transistors.

I can't see the topend card being that cheap.

Yea I know semiconductor economics doesnt work quite the way I put it.
Meh..

DaveBaumann said:
This is two 90m Transistor 130nm graphics processors we are talking about here....

Right...but not sure what your point is. ;)

AFAIK, SGI has the folllowing desktop solutions:

V3 Single
V5 Single
V5 Single Ultra
V8 Single
V8 Single Ultra
V5 Duo
V8 Duo

Are all of these products going to fit between $50 and $200 MSRP? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

The V8 Duo is either going to be $299 MSRP minimum , or XGI is going to have to trim down their product offerings significantly. I will be very, very surprised to see the V8 duo offered at $199 MSRP at introduction. (That's where it would have to be to get me to even consider buying it over a 9800 non-pro, or 9700 Pro).

David G. said:
The high end part WILL retail @ 399$ in USA and 400 Euros in Europe .

Pardon me but that doesn't make sense. It should be quite a bit lower with that reasoning in the US, because:

a) The current currency relation between the dollar and the euro.

b) HW is in most cases cheaper in the US than in Europe.

This is two 90m Transistor 130nm graphics processors we are talking about here....

Hmmm...I would have guessed quite a bit less for each chip. Why so much? Z/stencil units?

Ailuros said:
last I checked, and it could have changed since then, the euro was worth about 1.14 USD

Ailuros said:
Pardon me but that doesn't make sense. It should be quite a bit lower with that reasoning in the US, because:

A Euro = $1.16. €400=$463 so it is quite a bit more expensive in Europe than in the USA.

Tim said:
Ailuros said:

A Euro = $1.16. €400=$463 so it is quite a bit more expensive in Europe than in the USA.
Well, our European prices also include the local VAT, while US MSRPs don't include any taxes at all, which makes up for part of the difference, or all of it.

cu

incurable

acording to VolariGamers -site, some Netherlandic store has price for Club3D XGI Volari V8 Duo 256MB DDR-II, which is 429 Euros. While same store sells Club3D ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB at 569 Euros.

Nappe1 said:
acording to VolariGamers -site, some Netherlandic store has price for Club3D XGI Volari V8 Duo 256MB DDR-II, which is 429 Euros. While same store sells Club3D ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB at 569 Euros.

What's the price of the 128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro or Non-pro?

Effectively, the V8 Duo is only 128 MB.

Back