Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Xbox reveal conference was SO BORING. What you are trying to tell me is, maybe?: "Let's try our best to pretend it wasn't." :oops:

To me it was boring, boring, boring. It made some people doze off. Thank Goodness for that special trailer of Forza 5.

Morgan Freeman seems to agree while he was watching the reveal show

6C7537997-tdy-130523-ent-freeman-nap.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

His twitter response of "I was just rendering sheep in the cloud" seemed spot on.

I tried browsing through and searching, but couldn't find it - has MS said anywhere how much computing power they're putting to the cloud per console? I have distinct memory of seeing some number somewhere but can't find where.

I think they said 3x, but I'm not sure whether that meant only the CPU or the whole console.

People just need to accept its a one sided argument for a reason. You cannot spend 7 years lording it over ps3 fans like some have and then not expect the reverse to happen when the shoe is on the other foot.

You have all gotten far too defensive and should just get over it.

I look at it this way. Xbox gamers started the current generation off by being told that the Xbox 360 was going to fail because it had no HD format, was weaker than the CELL, and that the games were going to look inferior. It was dubbed an Xbox 1.5 and that the console would be "Dreamcasted" and meet a similar Sega fate.

So Xbox gamers have been here before, and Microsoft has also been counted out before. Even before THIS new generation even begins MS has already been counted out and that the Xbox One is DOA.

However, away from the noise of the gaming forums, Xbox One was received pretty favorably by a mix of demographics. My local Gamestop already has over 200 reserves, probably more than the store will get at launch. I haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm really astonished that after MS' non-gamer centric reveal that so many people are still planning to line up at midnight for this thing.

So despite the fumbles, this thing still might actually sell out at launch.

I think they said 3x, but I'm not sure whether that meant only the CPU or the whole console.

I know it's hardly normal but not unheard of for shader operations to run on a CPU. Shouldn't drivers be able to emulate some operations within software mode on a CPU?

Xbone might go on to be a huge success and generate masses of revenue as a tv centric media box. I don't think anyone can rule it out.

All I know for sure is that they've lost me and a few of my chums. But MS obviously think they're moving onto a more profitable target market, and so don't care about collectors, game-sharers, and "powah" enthusiasts. And from a business sense maybe they're right to do that. My movement over to PS4 is certainly not guaranteed though. Sony need to earn my custom. If they don't then it looks like Gaben gets all the marbles.

Would be kind of interesting to see the current b0rken AAA games business model crash and burn though. Would also be nice to see Europe find its balls (maybe the Kinect Engineers could help them find them) and rule this technology based elimination of the concept of ownership to be ruled illegal (across all devices, not just consoles) - and see how publishers and retailers respond. There's nothing like MS's involvement in dodgy practices to get regulators excited and sweaty.

...on a summer day, kids around large appartment buildings with windows open would scream "xbox on! play justin bieber! volume 100!". Or "xbox delete music folder! confirm!". If I were a teenager I'd do that.

Which would do absolutely nothing on any machine that doesn't recognize that kid's voice. Xbox One + Kinect 2 associate voices with registered users on that machine.

It certainly is amusing to think of what could happen if it didn't though. :)

Regards,
SB

Which would do absolutely nothing on any machine that doesn't recognize that kid's voice. Xbox One + Kinect 2 associate voices with registered users on that machine.

Regards,
SB

That's what I understood, If I turn on the Xbox One, the console will log me in to my profile and will hear me.

I doubt it is that strict. I have three kids who always share an account. I doubt MS would make them have three separate accounts all due to voice differences. If it did I would be disappointed.

A doubt: can voice commands works offline?
Of course they can. The 360 currently does that, and with the vastly greater memory available on the One, they will certainly be able to provide improved offline recognition. Online recognition is normally reserved for giant datasets. For instance, on the 360, when you go "xbox, bing orphan black", it's an online recognition engine, but "xbox, games" or "xbox, play disc" are offline.
Exactly. I think the kotaku article saying kinect MUST to be connected at all times for the xbox to function is possibly BS. If logic dictates they will still provide alternate methods (smartphone, controller, etc...) for all basic functions, there's no reasonable use case where it's absolutely necessary to operate the xbox except for the kinect-specific games and convenience features shown at the conference.

Core gamers will simply leave it in the box if they don't expect to use it (or don't have the sufficient WAF to install it in the living room).
As far as I know, the kinect must be plugged in for the console to boot. That may be outdated info, but nothing I've seen from the reveal indicated anything different.

Of course they can. The 360 currently does that, and with the vastly greater memory available on the One, they will certainly be able to provide improved offline recognition. Online recognition is normally reserved for giant datasets. For instance, on the 360, when you go "xbox, bing orphan black", it's an online recognition engine, but "xbox, games" or "xbox, play disc" are offline.
As far as I know, the kinect must be plugged in for the console to boot. That may be outdated info, but nothing I've seen from the reveal indicated anything different.

The voice-commands are wrong.
When looking at this small piece wich MS released;
9zdO4Se.jpg

People ought to say; ''Xbox One' 'bing' orphan black'.. That's the correct form..

Just kidding - I'm assuming it's easy to turn off voice-commands, so it dosn't conflict with people who allready have a 360 with Kinect, when they get the new Xbox One. :)

Regards,
SB
Nooooo! You have foiled my evil plan again, Microsoft!

Speaking of Orphan Black, everyone should watch that show. It's AWESOME!!! :smile:

Not just that, but it will most likely be able to use the Kinect to judge if you're looking at it when you say the command.

IE, if you turn your head to your friend, and say something like "OMG this xbox is off the charts" it won't accept the command, because it knows you're not speaking to it.

Not just that, but it will most likely be able to use the Kinect to judge if you're looking at it when you say the command.

IE, if you turn your head to your friend, and say something like "OMG this xbox is off the charts" it won't accept the command, because it knows you're not speaking to it.

hahahahah me and my friends sometimes we play and talk about the game at the same time. :LOL::LOL:
" I have been battling with the final boss for 3 hours. I am freakin tired. At last. One final blow left to finish him and I will switch my XBOX One off..........:eek:"

It took ages for certain people to accept that RSX is much weaker than it was believed to be; and Joker got a LOT of flak for pointing it out for years or so.

The general consensus was that PS3 is faster and stronger and better and any disparity between multiplatform releases is caused by 'lazy devs'.

Don't tell me you don't remember ;)

And let's not get back to the original Xbox...

I remember that, but that was mostly proper discussion with arguments on both sides that have merit today. You're not doing the level of discussion much favor by referring to that period as:

Laa-Yosh said:
The attitude against MS is back to the good old days. Long live Sony, they are always the best!

... because Sony got plenty of criticism. There was undue hate probably in equal measure. I think people tend to remember history from their own perspective, and its easier to remember when you disagreed than when you agreed. This is likely to skew your perspective, and a psychological trait of humans that tends to cause feuds to last much longer than is wise for either party.

Yes, we're bound to see some fanboy wars spilling back into the forums for the next year. We seniors will have to try to set a good example.

To improve carrot and stick management tools, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to temporarily reinstate the infraction and post rating systems ...

For the record, whoever writes the most text in a post within the next 24hr will have my allegiance. Time starts now.

If your allegiance comes with a free Xbox One, I'll write out the formula to achieve time travel. The theory is sound. Saw it in my dreams and everything. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back