Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did mention the cloud thing at the conference clearly. He even mentioned it can be used for persistent worlds (MMOs?) and AI computing.

Yeah.
As I sail last page I would call those "gameplay applications" rather than "graphic/performance applications".

Good link thanks for sharing, can't say I'm surprised however. MS is a big company, has partnerships with some of these companies and warm relations with even more. The Wired Article IMO is a good example of what I am talking about, its more of a PR piece than journalism. For better or worse they are viewed as the cool company, Sony is seen as the bumbling deputy Fife.

Much of that is Sony's own fault but the echo chamber cuts both ways and I am beginning to wonder if MS might be on the verge of making the same sort of mistakes that Sony did with the PS3.

Hopefully someone would know this, is the idea that on Xbone the disc does not need to be in, to play the game once it is installed?

because i always wanted that, that could be great. rather have that than used games i think.

it's simply annoying to get up and change discs when switching games.

i will say used games are a good resource to get games that are old on the cheap. i care more about that potential loss by far then the stupid "pay 5 less for a recent game if it's used" crap. not that i really buy many old games, thats why i call it potential loss.

So after reading Eurogamer, Kotaku and Polygon on the whole used game / activation scheme i think there are more questions than answers..

According to Phil, our XBOX One will need a connection with the activation servers at least once pr 24 hours.

How the activation fee for used games will work is still up in the air so is the price. Do i pay the fee when i buy a used game from the shop? Since i don't need the disc when i install a game how will my game get deactivated? Could i essentially sell my used game and keep on playing it until someone activates my disc? Do i need to deactivate my game before i sell it..

I have a very hard time seeing anything positive about this.

I have a very hard time seeing anything positive about this.

if it lets you play games discless, (and thus avoid a manual disc switch when switching games) well there's your big positive imo.

like i said, me personally, probably take that over used games.

Yeah...
I can't say that it's comparable to a simple laptop camera...
Some marketing people could kill for this kind of data.!:p

Oh yes they could.
I went to a Marketing Forum some months ago and many companies were there giving presentations. We had people from Google, Financial Times etc and all were pointing to the issue of collecting and processing of personal data in order to accurately redirect the appropriate marketing content to the consumer. Its something hard to do.
In other words their biggest concern was the processing of our personal information, behavioral patterns etc or of our privacy.
One of them even presented future technology that takes biometrical data

It all seems rosy and amazing in terms of doing business

This XBOXOne is product that helps like nothing else in that regard because it goes too deep into what we do and how we function and behave and collects important information in so many dimensions including some biometrical data.

But in reality it is worringsome for society that organizations and people have access to such personal information that we otherwise wouldnt want to give to a stranger. And these people/organizations are willing to exploit these information and affect aspects of our personal lives, behavioral patterns and society in ways that we cant consiously recognize. Even if its just for consumerism it is still not good

I'm also highly skeptical of the "cloud buzzwords," would anything that "cloud blaglebligglebuzzword" can do help more than just GIVING the console better specs in the first place? Im sure there are a minority of situations but i'm pretty certain just slapping a better GPU in would give better results most of the time....but hey, look at it this way, now we get to fund microsoft's uberserverfarmfantastic9000!

Yeah , doesn't matter if our machine is underpowered , we have the cloud !! :p

gaf has a rate the xbox conference poll stickied

so far 47% of people rated it a 1/10. 15% a 2/10, and 13% a 3/10. those were far and away the most popular choices, in fact except for a slight blip at the top, the poll perfectly follows a lower number=more votes model.

this is getting pretty ridiculous. unless people are just doing their usual nonsense of "i heard something about always online no used games 1/10" there's no way that show was that bad.

some site also had a twitter poll, ps4 vs xbone, 86% chose ps4 14% xbone.

like i said, getting just out of hand.

It was a pretty bad reveal man. Not to mention all the confusion regarding the used games and what.

Add to that Greenburg's ":)" when asked about specs and what not on twitter( I think you even used that in an argument, but I may be wrong) and you have to understand why people are disappointed and pissed.

This was suppose to be the new xbox. what we got was a confused htpc/console that is a jack of all trades but master of none.

On the tv front, it has the same exact issues that google tv had in which you still can't eliminate your cable box. All it does is place an overlay thing over. And heck, the cable box has to support that overlay crap in the first place lol(atleast that's what I read, I may be wrong). I don't know about you, but when I did have a cable box, I don't think I changed it once. How many people will actually go out of there way to do it.

Then on the gaming side, they even came out specifically said they were NOT aiming for high end gaming specs. cloud this cloud that. After 8 years, 8 long years, I expected more and I am sure many people feel the same.

People are just really disappointed by what they saw and I can't really blame them.

Hopefully this will be a short gen.

I'm trying to figure out the reason for the negativity: Weren't the specs good enough? Didn't you like the exclusives? Or is it because on the release event TV was the main thing and most of the gaming stuff was saved to E3?

Or something else entirely?

It was a pretty bad reveal man. Not to mention all the confusion regarding the used games and what.

Add to that Greenburg's ":)" when asked about specs and what not on twitter( I think you even used that in an argument, but I may be wrong) and you have to understand why people are disappointed and pissed.

This was suppose to be the new xbox. what we got was a confused htpc/console that is a jack of all trades but master of none.

On the tv front, it has the same exact issues that google tv had in which you still can't eliminate your cable box. All it does is place an overlay thing over. And heck, the cable box has to support that overlay crap in the first place lol(atleast that's what I read, I may be wrong). I don't know about you, but when I did have a cable box, I don't think I changed it once. How many people will actually go out of there way to do it.

Then on the gaming side, they even came out specifically said they were NOT aiming for high end gaming specs. cloud this cloud that. After 8 years, 8 long years, I expected more and I am sure many people feel the same.

People are just really disappointed by what they saw and I can't really blame them.

Hopefully this will be a short gen.

Yes the reveal was very underwhelming.

The new gamepad with improved rumble is very cool but I don't know how it compares to Sony rumble. Tire tread sticks with ring scalop looks good as well. Nice attention to detail.

What exactly is interesting?

the fact he isn't backing down or ceding/downplaying gfx.

he is:

console's chief product officer Marc Whitten.

i'm not sure how technical that role is but his answers seem to understand it. point is seems a step above some marketing or know nothing bigwig (check that box) saying that type of thing.

Also the response was to a question "are you disadvantaged at lack of GDDR5", not some generic nonsense hyping in non-technical context.

the fact he isn't backing down or ceding/downplaying gfx.

he is:

i'm not sure how technical that role is but his answers seem to understand it. point is seems a step above some marketing or know nothing bigwig (check that box) saying that type of thing.

Edit: sounds weird?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back