Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really seem to be believing in shifting processing to the cloud..

So did Ken Kutaragi, only he called it the "grid". Cloud processing is a total red herring they're using to justify the online verifications that are happening.

Oh, maybe it is called ONE as it includes all other devices, so only One is needed...Xbox One ?

But than i amcurious why another device for live tv is needed...

You literally CAN'T build your game to rely on cloud computing when you can't rely on cloud computing, so right now this is just MS hype to hype up something that does not exist and in fact cannot exist right now except for people living in densely populated urban environments.

The calculations offloaded to the cloud don't have to be immediate and realtime. Sure, it would take more complex types of games like RPGs and such, but isn't that something we would like to see?

I dunno, maybe a GTA-type game that simulates gang wars based on player actions...

Reading the live blog on Engadget... shesshh.. are these technical guys ?

They sound like (drilled / scripted / brainwashed) m-architects ....

The live feed gives a different impression. They're clearly aiming their verbiage at their target audience, letting a few technical words slip every now and then. I'd say they at least sound quite technical and competent.

Is it just me... I feel like a bunch of server / infrastructure guys got together to make this box. Hyper-V / Remote FX / Cloud Computing... I mean this is not what I was expecting from a tech talk. I'm in IT and this feels too much like work stuff.

They are making the connection between the compression/decompression hardware as being important for working with the cloud

So did Ken Kutaragi, only he called it the "grid". Cloud processing is a total red herring they're using to justify the online verifications that are happening.

Hahaha good catch.. oh my.. the threads of speculation on "how it was going to work" :)

I think that's why the PS3 had the gigabit ethernet interface back in 2006.

Not that anything ever made use of it.

loln9uk8.png

The box is huge.

Cloud system. MMO's, already leverage gameplay remotely. Even action MMO's which includes shooters. If ALL gameplay (AI, etc.) can be run from the internet well enough for an FPS, cloud computing certainly should be leverageable by game developers for small chunks of a game. Remember, unlike something like Gaikai, there is no latency spent for video encoding.

One simple thing I could think of is an open world game where a developer could have far more AI controlled NPCs to make the world feel more alive and less empty. AI that can be significantly more varied and robust due to not competing for computing resources that a game would need for actual gameplay. Gameplay affecting, no. Game changing with regards to immersion and removing virtually empty open worlds that we've had up until now? Possibly. Imagine being in New York City or Paris or Tokyo and having the streets filled with people all run by a relatively robust AI. Something that is absolutely impossible to do even on a massive PC featuring a Core i7 at 3+ Ghz. But certainly possible if you can leverage cloud computing.

Of course, anything that makes extensive use of cloud computing will need an online connection. But that's no different than MMOs which both consoles will have. As I've stated multiple times already. Both PS4 and Xbox One are going to have games that require an online connection in order to play.SB

I don't get it...
What makes it a unique feature, one that the competition can't replicate?
Are we talking about computing and sending results back to the box?
To me that sounds like, all you need is the infrastructure to do it, and the programming to receive it.
And the variables are so many for it to work...

Am I missing something? Probably! :LOL:

Sales job here. Convince us that the cloud and Kinect matter.

Resident textures? what are those?

Another marketing word for caching stuff into the 32 MB ESRAM, so on-die ? One frame buffer is already 6 MB... Gorilla used a huge chunk of memory for graphics and frame buffers, so not sure what a few MB is for a next-gen game.

Unlike the Sony conference's hubbub and feature gloating in-conference, it *does* seem like MS has been very involved with the user experience and designing constraints properly for unobstructed performance.

I wouldn't be worried about whatever perceived/real deficiencies the One might have in raw performance in hardware then- software's likely going to tell a different story.

Not sure about the ESRAM story yet- are we still that framebuffer centric in terms of bandwidth requirements? The 8GB of GDDR5 seems to be a tempting touting point for easier memory management (engine-side) but I suppose with this deliberate choice MS has probably automation for ease of access, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back