Gran Turismo 6

I happened across this IGN video review of GT6 in my YT feed and was surprised how dated and "last gen" it already looks to me.

I'm reminded of my debate some time ago with I think, pjliverpool, where he stated he thought car games were 90% maxed on PS3/360 gen (in other words they can only get 10% better looking).

The game is still a bit mixed because there are some upscaled PS2 models in there still. Looks much better when there are Premium cars on track (which are much more similar to Forza 5's level of detail). And of course some tracks look a lot more spectacular than others. Still, yes, PS3 games are starting to look a bit dated, but when you have this game running at 1080p it still looks quite amazing, and youtube doesn't always quite capture it.

And it's been at 99% for a little while now! It looks like it will finish exactly as we leave, lol! At least I hope I can make it to downloading the patch, so that stuff is done by the time I get home.

EDIT: Done! only 4,5 hours to install! Amazing. Booting now!

Yes, a "dated" game with weather, day time lighting changes, 1080p, and a set of supported wheels in different price categories.

Yes, a "dated" game with weather, day time lighting changes, 1080p, and a set of supported wheels in different price categories.
Ya, GT6 looks quite good still IMO. I'm pretty disappointed by their new AA though, but they most likely sacrificed MSAA in order to improve the lighting and car models, which are excellent for PS3 standards. I can't wait for GT7 on PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually wondering if this will have some impact on the PS4 launch in Japan. Isn't GT quite big there? Will people even bother to run out for PS4s if they'll be busy playing GT6? Or is that why they pushed back the PS4 till... what Februrary?

Holy Shit man, this game is pure love :love: ! TOD and variable weather on every track........:oops: I am just driving every track again n again ni arcade mode: it feels magical ! Yes, there are blemishes due to these extra features, shadows can get very jaggy in the environment but when u start a race in the after noon and the sun sets and it gets pitch dark, brake lights glowing, reflectors glowing and each street lamp casting shadows in ur cockpit :Razz:....oh Baby ! and then its morning again, slowly shadows appear and then u think: why are the hadows disappearing? ....and it gets cloudy and begins to drizzle :cool: ! And all this on the most picturique mountain course ! Damn ! I am so stoked for Driveclub now ! This is a total deal breaker for me !

and if u keep messing in the dust, sliding around: You car gathers Dust !!!! I had no idea a ps3 game did that ! KZSF advertised it as a next gen feature. NFS rivals has it on next gen !
ovf0.jpg

(pic taken with my phone)

Is it an old feature? I am feeling so happy just messing around in Daytona ! This is blissful !!!!!!

Fuck Fuck I am gleeful like a kid !

Daytona: 11 am , rain< cockpit view: totally next gen :::::
d2qx.png

sorry for the phone pics, I am too excited ! Realtime TOD and weather are fantastic !

EDIT: The more I play, the more I :runaway: ! Holy shit PD, you took my breath away !

I'm actually wondering if this will have some impact on the PS4 launch in Japan. Isn't GT quite big there? Will people even bother to run out for PS4s if they'll be busy playing GT6? Or is that why they pushed back the PS4 till... what Februrary?

I'd be very surprised if the reason PS4 is launching next year in Japan is GT6. Seems a bit too far fetched. There's surely a lot of variables at play here, starting with the fact that PS4 won't have to worry about X1 there anyway.

any direct capture of the gamepaly for the retail version? I want to see how it looks, to me GT has always been 50% graphics and 50% everything else. If the graphic doesn't impress me like GT3 or 4 back then then I will probably return my copy.

I had to try four times to win the Brand's Hatch race ... :blush: Really don't know that track very well yet.

The dirt on the cars surprised me, works quite well actually.

Menus are a huge improvement, very fast.

Handling is fantastic.

Force Feedback is a step up too.

Car settings (like ABS and TCS) are remembered per car.

ABS off gives a better experience than last time, pretty good now.

To quote Eurogamer: "For the first time, reverse isn't bound to the triangle button, and can be selected through the shifter. A small but important victory." Yes indeed!
(http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-06-gran-turismo-6-review 9/10)

Load times are pretty amazingly good.

Just did the first licence test, all gold - nice that it's just five tests. Won a go-kart, an Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 T Sport '09, and some trophies. Have 40k credits. 1 hour in, and I know this can already buy me a half-decent car. Time for a coffee break. :)

As expected, the Alfa is a good car to win the beginners cup with.

Graphics are good, but not flawless. Cockpit view is frequently too low on framerate imho. Sometimes shadows freak out a bit. Some shimmering (playing in 1080p). But crap, then you drive a lap during sunset and get reminded that on most tracks the lighting is realtime, and the game blows you away.

Just won a Renault Sport Clio R.S. '11 for winning all stars in Beginner Championship. Using that in the next race series, Clubman Cup, which promises 400pp opposition (Clio is 403)

Darn, 0.2 to slow on the final Mission to get gold. This would have given me a Lancer. I haven't bought a single car yet, only won stuff. Credits now 98k.

Got it. :) Evo VI GSR TM ED '99 mine.

A little under 3 hours of play and I now have 5 cars and 100k credits. Good start! Old strategy still works - win cars that you need for the races rather than buy them.

With the pre-order bonus cars straight in your garage, it becomes even easier, but I may consider pretending I don't have them just to see how easy the game is to get through.

Edit: was going to stop and go to bed, then read online that Goodwood also wins you cars. Tried it, and it's actually quite short and easy to learn. Now I won 26k more credits, a Light Car Company Rocket '07,

Load times are blistering fast ! One doesn't even notice and the track is loaded.

@gitaroo: there are a few graphical blemishes here n there, i think to accomodate that fantastic realtime tOD and weather on all tracks which totally changes the game for me, like jagged shadows which show upsometimes on tracks and sometimes don't. Also, for the first time, I saw a few pop -ins , nothing major just a little geometry in one track, but could be my psn version. But the new HDR makes the skies beautiful, especially if the sun is behind the clouds etc. also night races are much much more beautiful!!!! And it can happen on any track now :D ! Also, more stuff like dust collecting on cars and beautiful smoke this time around all, beautiful high poly cars+tesselation adds that sublime sheen to everything! Of course, there are some tracks that don't look thatgood but to counter them some are just sublime ! Edit: have to add the sun's shadows inside the cockpit are very soft and sometimes onec an't even see them, making it uninteresting. Shadows cast by streetlights are perfectly sharp and every streetlight casts shadows , which feels very good.Don't know why PD made the Sun shadows so soft.

Also, I had a major problem with gt5 that the tracks in switzerland(n other mountains) felt very dead andstatic as if we were just driving in a photograph of the track, but now..... No sireeee......realtime TOD n weather means the track keeps changing while urace and feels totally alive !!!!

The game gets a 10/10 from me. I am blown away. I was expecting another gt5 with some improvements, but this feels like a completely new game :cool: !

Timgto go to the Arcade for some 24 hourraces again :p !

Load times are blistering fast ! One doesn't even notice and the track is loaded.

@gitaroo: there are a few graphical blemishes here n there, i think to accomodate that fantastic realtime tOD and weather on all tracks which totally changes the game for me, like jagged shadows which show upsometimes on tracks and sometimes don't. Als, for the first time, Is aw a few pop -ins , nothing major just a little geometry in one track, but could be my psn version. But the new HDR makes the skies beautiful, especially if the sun is behind the clouds etc. also night races are much much more beautiful!!!! And it can happen ona any track now :D ! Also, more stuff like dust collecting on cars and beautiful smoke this time around all, beautiful high poly cars+tesselation adds that sublime sheen to everything! Of course, there are some tracks that don't look thatgood but to counter them some are just sublime !

Also, I had a major problem with gt5 that the tracks in switzerland(n other mountains) felt very dead andstatic as if we were just driving in a photograph of the track, but now..... No sireeee......realtime TOD n weather means the track keeps changing while urace and feels totally alive !!!!

The game gets a 10/10 from me. I am blown away. I was expecting another gt5 with some improvements, but this feels like a completely new game :cool: !

Timgto go to the Arcade for some 24 hourraces again :p !
I was about to share Eurogamer's review but Arwin beat me at that.

Share a video of your driving, if you can. Waiting for that video... now I am falling asleep.

Maybe someome could share a screen or vid with the 2011 Megane RS ? Sirius yellow Color would be perfect , I want to see how my car looks in the game :?:

@cyan: i have no way of recording vids of my races, will try with my cam, but that will be pretty meaningless as the quality will be abysmal.

@Arwin: i am just unable to go to career mode now that I have discovered that I can keep doing free runs in different tracks with sped-up time and weather :D ! My stingray went 210mph last night :cool: !

I wish I was on PS4 with this game, just for making streaming, sharing video etc so much easier.

Also, the framerate in cockpit view is disappointing, imho. It's too low for comfortable driving, I find myself switching back to bumper cam.

I am wondering does GT6 import anything from GT5 such as cars you bought from 5?Or do you have to start from zero?

Start from zero, obviously, otherwise I would have had over a hundred cars right away ;)

Biggest thing I'm missing right now is PSN integration. I don't see any activity from my friends, etc.

Tesselation in cockpit view is also limited or not existing (wheel looks edgy)

Fantastic news about reverse no longer being bound to the triangle button. That for me is one of the most infuriating things about GT since I started using the wheel.

Back