Gran Turismo 6

It's most likely done with SPUs, so they can use what ever method they want.
RSX doesn't know there is tesselated objects.

Not most likely, certainly. ;) KY discussed this in an interview.

just got my hand on GT6 demo.

how to disable the mouse support?
it seems the game though that i plugged a mouse on the USB-0 or something. That USB port is broken but GT6 detect it as a mouse and display moust cursor :/

EDIT:
i think i prefer GT5 graphic.. the pixel crawl on GT6 really distracting. I need to concentrate on the road but the road white paint crawls, flicker.
The interior and shadows got downgrade from GT5?

EDIT2:
my game are broken or something?
It have heavy picture doubling on some scene, especially on 1080p set as OK on XMB.

6GQswdY.jpg

YLXFwYc.jpg

on Fable 3, it have the exact same picture doubling but easily fixed by disabling the temporal AA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does the demo really not look that good? - the track detail is quite lackluster compared to Forza 4 which I just got (and I always complain about Forza's graphics lol).

Yeah, I don't see much improvement between the demo and GT5. The ugly shadows are gone that's about it. There are still frame rate problem here and there which is kinda disappointing.

The handling does seem better than GT5, I especially like how realistically the cars behave (dive) under braking, and the ripple strips are really 'tactile' to go over (strange thing to notice lol, but I did)

Is it really improved ? I can't really tell playing with DS3. Anyway I gold all the available events. But I think you need to hook up a wheel to crack top 100. Those times are fast.

Oh is there a way to turn on stereo 3D in this demo, I look everywhere but can't find the setting.

And the load times are really fast, it is running from the HDD though.

The load times are much better compare to GT5 but need to be faster IMO. It still minutes before you start. At least restart is fast this time around.

Really hope there is a PS4 version where they just upload everything to RAM for fast loading and fix the frame rate. As of this moment, I'll probably skip GT6 for PS3. Not enough new stuff. And loading still kinda long.

The first thing I noticed was the improved gameplay. It was not just visible on videos it feels nice too. That was easily the best thing about the GT6A. Graphics are also improved and looks more aesthetic. Evening settings in Silverstone and sun rays are totally different now on other track. No day time so far. May be for Suzuka and that looks better too. As expected 4x MSAA is gone. You can see aliasing now at a distant. Still some graphic glitches but a big improvement. GT6A was meant only to try new physics model. Comparing this to GT5A. There is a huge difference in all departments. Just want to them to now finish rest of the game, polish,optimize it. I hope they release date will be announced at GC

if they managed to put 2xMSAA + post process AA it will looks really clean. I wonder if PD will give AA option on GT6Final settings?

currently on the demo, theres already a lot of options. Audio option have too much option, from normal stereo, to virtual stereo, to 4.1 ch (this is a minority speaker setup right?).

the video only normal and sharp.
add smooth optionn please :D (2xMSAA + post process AA).

I really need to get myself a wheel and pedals gradual acceleration to keep the back from stepping out on a controller has never been my forte

When I played with the DS3, I mapped gas to R2, brake to L2 and shift up/down to R1/L1. Took a while to get used to it, but it was for the better.

I think it looks far better than GT5. Shame it's come too late in the PS3s life, the new console fund is in greater need of my money.

Hey ! Guess what , a non sim gamer like me stood first in all the practice races, Sunday cup and Clubman cup, with ALL AIDS TURNED OFF :p ! That was freaking awesome for me ! Now I am hooked !!!!

Gameplay/ driving is definitely different from GT5 academy demo for sure, cos I couldn't even dream of aceing anyhting in it. But this time the car responds really well and I can actually depend on the simulation pretty well. But these are just a newcomers thoughts, I might be completely wrong, but this definitely is improved over gt 5 demo. Going over the track's borders can be really felt inside your car. Also lighting of the track and the car too is definitely better, especially the ambient lighting on track objects.

When is the game coming out ? Should I get GT5 in the meantime as it will be really cheap now? I think GT6 ons ps4 will not come soon enou, I think they will take full time and actually make improvements before releasign it on the ps4 or they will face flak. It might just turn into GT7 prologue or something. GT6 on the ps3 is a safe bet , the way I think.

Edit: BTW, Still can't get even bronze on the silverstone track :unsure: ! The turns screw it all up. Either i become too slow or I go out of the track.

Are you using the race line? It's a good way to learn for beginners IMO. It will show you how to approach a turn, where the brake points are, and when to accelerate out of a turn. General rule is slow in, fast out. Start on the outside, steer towards the apex, then accelerate out. When accelerating out of a turn, try not to give it too much gas or you might end up spinning out. This is especially true on RWD cars with lots of power. This is one of the benefits of having pedals (or at least having variable control) vs using the face buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3qO3Nixck&feature=youtu.be
GT6 Academy demo, damn that tessellation looks good on cars, but also makes the rest of track detail so jarringly bad in contrast.
Thanks goodness a video from the actual demo. It wasn't easy -if not impossible- to find a video yesterday's night.

There is a nice editorial mentioning how the handling model has changed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-gran-turismo-6-preview

Watching your video, with all those assists active... I rather prefer watching the game when it's not heavily assisted, as it if were an automatic drive. That's not what GT is about.

I mean, the corners he made were a bit sketchy.

I wonder if it was very easy for GT veterans and long-time fans of the series to get into GT6.

The little I played other previous GT games, having played Forza too, when I bungled a corner I was able to gather up my car & make it out pretty well.

In racing games as a whole -not just related to GT- I still have to recover all the skills. Time ago I could be pulling huge smokey drifts just like it was nothing. ;)

I think it looks far better than GT5. Shame it's come too late in the PS3s life, the new console fund is in greater need of my money.
Be patient, it will pay off in this case.

EDIT: In the video which Arwin has shared I could barely discern any differences, except improved shadows. I am going to watch it once again. It doesn't help that the video is superimposed instead of playing side by side with a vertical line in the middle, the way I also prefer to play offline co-op games btw

From my non-technical view: the lighting improvements are pretty apparent... that's probably one of the biggest upgrades. The pixelation around cars when it's buried in smoke is now essentially gone, too. Car models are also better.

The downsides are that they seemed to have reduced or removed the MSAA in favor of MLAA and there's a lot of flickering, most noticeably in the environments. Hard jagged shadows are now soft, but low res. Honestly I don't know which I prefer... the lighting and car models look really nice, but the flickering bothers me a lot, more so than the shadows.

Apparently they upped the resolution a bit in 1080p mode to 1440x1080 (as per AlNets in the Image Quality thread). Not sure that was a wise decision.

Another comparison video. I can't decide whther I should go for Gt5 or wait for GT6 :( ! WHen does the game release?

Edit: so there's no info on release date ???? Hmmm.. Maybe I should get GT5, but then it won't have the handling of GT6 :-/ ! Humph !!

Last edited by a moderator:
so there's no info on release date ???? Hmmm.. Maybe I should get GT5, but then it won't have the handling of GT6 :-/ ! Humph !!

Go for GT5 on the cheap, GT6 may not come till November anyway and there's a possibility of transferring your GT5 garage to GT6, it wouldn't be a first...

Go for GT5 on the cheap, GT6 may not come till November anyway and there's a possibility of transferring your GT5 garage to GT6, it wouldn't be a first...

Hmm.. Te only thing holding me back is that I didn't enjoy the gt5 academy at all, where as I am hooked to gt6 ! The new driving model is just so addicting.

Still, I am trying to get my hands on gt5 , lets see if I get it cheap, I think I will get it.

on Fable 3, it have the exact same picture doubling but easily fixed by disabling the temporal AA.

Are you sure you don't have some sort of a movie or picture improvement mode enabled on your tv. Looks awfully much like some sort of artefact that tv would cause...

I tried the demo and now I am looking for a wheel again. Need to find a used G25/27.....

BTW, those should be able to use on the PS4 as well right?

If you want a vid without assists, here's two of my session today. I managed a 2:22 flat ... really difficult and technical track this. Good choice for GT Academy for sure. Really appreciating the new physics more and more. Note that tge fastest lap currently is 2:17,5 so I am by no means world class.

If you want a vid without assists, here's two of my session today. I managed a 2:22 flat ... really difficult and technical track this. Good choice for GT Academy for sure. Really appreciating the new physics more and more. Note that tge fastest lap currently is 2:17,5 so I am by no means world class.

I wouldn't be worried about your time, it's ok time if you don't exploit realistic approach to driving. I have 2:19.271 and I wouldn't drive like that in real life with tyres screaming, drifting around corner to get faster through, etc ... but I like physics too, unfortunately good game makes more than that and I'm not decided if I buy GT6.

The physics is significantly improved. But I am a little dissapointed with the visuals as they havent been upgraded meaningfully. Where past GT's were visualyl perfect masterpieces for the hardware they were released on, unfortunately this one is still a mixed bag with its inconsistencies. And all that because of hardware limitations and aiming for the 1280x1080p resolution. Its a waste of resources. They should have went with 720p and allocate resources in a more meaningful manner. Those pixelated moving shadows stick out like a sore thumb and the resolution gain makes up nothing for it

Back