Lighting of Killzone: Shadow Fall Slides

Guerrilla Secret Sauce™

KZ+Ray-Tracying+.jpg

KZ+Ray-Tracying+2+.jpg

Very informative slides there. Memory usage breakdown for assets between system, shared, and video for CPU and GPU is enlightening!

VRAM usage said:
Non-Streaming Textures
1,321 MB

Render Targets
800 MB

Streaming Pool (1.6 GB of streaming data)
572 MB

Meshes
315 MB

CUE Heap (49x)
32 MB
ES

GS Buffer
16 MB
GS

VS Buffer
16 MB

A massive 800mb worth of render targets.

Render Target is 800MB according to the slides.
Non-streameing texture is 1.3GB, streamed pool is 572MB...

They also use only 4.5GB of ram in the slideshow (1.5GB CPU, 128MB shared, 3GB Video)

Is it correct to say that if the render target is 800MB, just this portion will take at least 800MB per frame of bandwidth?

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but from those images up above it's looking like the KZ:SF demo is using 4.5GB total?

So.. Does this mean Guerilla had access to 8GB dev kits or what's going on? Nowhere near 8GB of course, but its well above 4GB.

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but from those images up above it's looking like the KZ:SF demo is using 4.5GB total?

So.. Does this mean Guerilla had access to 8GB dev kits or what's going on? Nowhere near 8GB of course, but its well above 4GB.

I'm guessing they probably just got the new 8GB devkits for a while so they went straight ahead and enlarged some pools to take advantage of that. It wouldn't make sense to only use 4.5GB if they knew they had 8GB for quite some time.

Render Target is 800MB according to the slides.
Non-streameing texture is 1.3GB, streamed pool is 572MB...

They also use only 4.5GB of ram in the slideshow (1.5GB CPU, 128MB shared, 3GB Video)

Is it correct to say that if the render target is 800MB, just this portion will take at least 800MB per frame of bandwidth?

Some of these render targets must be shadow maps for example and you're not forced to update shadow maps every frame (same thing for local cubemaps)

I'm guessing they probably just got the new 8GB devkits for a while so they went straight ahead and enlarged some pools to take advantage of that. It wouldn't make sense to only use 4.5GB if they knew they had 8GB for quite some time.

Perhaps it also include data that are streamed from HDD (e.g., dialog) ? Need to know what they mean by Memory Map, and how they add the numbers up.

A few things to note:
  • There are actually 2 presentation. One of them is mis-titled.
  • The first is the KZ:SF Demo Postmortem. That's what's linked to in the OP. May want to update the thread title.
  • The second is the Lightning of KZ:SF. That's the one that a video of has been floating around of for a couple of weeks (linked below).
  • If you're interested in additional detail, be sure to download the full PPTX. It has additional comments and video for the postmortem.
Guerrilla Games' Publications Link

Killzone Shadow Fall Demo Postmortem
PPTX (611MB)
PDF (22MB)

Lighting of Killzone Shadow Fall
PPTX (136MB)
PDF (16MB)
Video (72 minutes)

Last edited by a moderator:
More notes, taken from gaf. I think these are in the ppt versions

- Global Illumination prebaked and no mention of making it dynamic.

- They are working with Sony ATG on new AA method - TMAA:
"We're currently using FXAA for anti-aliasing, but we're working together with Sony ATG on a better solution more suitable for PS4. Watch out for TMAA"

- City landscape is so low poly that is actually doable on current gen consoles, as i said quite a few times in past
The polycount is 500k for whole visible geometry, with lighting [so shadows] its 670k, only 100k more than God of War: Ascention for example.

- only 1700 draw calls for GPU in city landscape scene

- Bokeh DoF has currently almost same quality as in Crysis 2 on consoles. In C2 it was half-res of 720p and in KZ:SF its 1/4 of 1080p

Good to hear FXAA isn't final.

We still have no idea how much out of 8GB developers get to play with. If it was 3.5GB/512MB before, perhaps it's 7GB/1GB now? Or Sony could be more conservative with 6GB/2GB and give developers that other 1GB later.

Far easier to give things away than to try and take them back later, especially when we have no idea what Microsoft might be doing with their rumored 5.5GB/2.5GB split.

Btw., from the profiler output one can also deduce that the devkit's CPU was definitely running at 1.6 GHz. And KZ4 apparently uses just 6 threads.

Does scheduling look full enough on 6 threads that they would have wanted more? Or are they empty enough to suggest that Sony's cap is 6 out of 8 for developers to use?

Next gen rubble pile

QnsQ349.jpg

Diminishing returns :(

Anyways, so the game is using 4.5GB not the 3GB GAF is crowing about. That's equivalent to like a 5.5GB console after OS reserves, so maybe PS4 doesn't just have that wildly much more RAM headroom than it sounds initially when you think "3GB, 8GB"

Back