What console should bkilian buy? *spawn

The one game that will make me buy a console on launch day will be a Vanquish sequel...

That said I hope SEGA and Platinum Games has it planned for release for next gen with a completely revamped graphics engine on par with Panta Rhei.

Me? Not sure. Rock band is an important game for our family, so if it doesn't have back compat, and doesn't accept old controllers, it is a non starter in this household.

Starting over from square one is no fun for any new console. It would be a slow transition for sure if there was no backward compatibility or support for older controllers. One nice thing though is that the Xbox Live ecosystem will probably transition smoothly. You'll keep your gamertag, achievements, friends, etc. For Rock Band maybe they release a new game that allows you to bring over all your previous songs? And with most instruments connecting via USB those should at least be supported. I could understand if the proprietary wireless controllers weren't though. Let's hope Microsoft have a well thought out plan on how to transition their existing customers to the new system. If not, it could be a quick death for Xbox.

Tommy McClain

Non starter for Infinity or ANY console?
I have no interest in a Sony console. I get Microsoft published games at employee prices, I get discounts on Microsoft hardware, it's silly for me to pay extra for something that basically does the same thing.

I have no interest in a Sony console. I get Microsoft published games at employee prices, I get discounts on Microsoft hardware, it's silly for me to pay extra for something that basically does the same thing.

Why wouldn't you want to buy a ps4? It's clearly (based on the reliable vgleaks) a superior piece of hardware, compared to Duango. I've read somewhere, although I forgot wherr, that Sony doesn't intend to sell it at $599, like the last time. Microsoft, based on what Paul Thurott has said, has set the price of Durango at $500. It's likely that the ps4 will sell at the same price as, or even lower than, Durango. It seems like a no-brainer: the ps4 is the better choice.

I really hope the ugly cat gets banned for antagonizing other forum goers and posting flame bait.

bbot, there is more in a decision of which console to purchase other than its hardware power. Games are a primary factor in that decision and bkilian already stated reasons for avoiding either console. The costs of purchasing a console and its games are also a factor for most people and since the man gets the Xbox stuff at a discount then that's an easy choice for him to make. PS4 is not the clear answer until we at least hear and see what MS is bringing to the table in terms of games and services, and I'd venture that the jury will be out until after E3 to see which console many users on this forum will be getting. I'll be getting one of the consoles at launch, and while PS4's power is tempting over the leaked XBI specs I will still need to see what MS offers.

is it okay for me to envy you? :LOL:

If MS can extend their employee discount to everyone they're sure to come out on top!
it is not a huge discount for consoles, since they generally don't have a lot of markup to start with. Games, on the other hand, get a significant discount. (Not as significant as when I was in the Xbox team, we got all the MS published games for free then, as a team perk)

For solo gaming, you have a PC, right? Anyone with a decent PC can avoid the console for all but their exclusives, and maybe living room experience.

Wow... I didn't intend to spawn a discussion! If I'm personally desperate for something new this year I will get a console as upgrading a PC to console spec probably won't cut it given the interesting architecture in the consoles. No PC I can buy can assure me an equivalence to HSA and the memory bandwidth.

Anyway how do you still get employee pricing bkillian if you left Microsoft?

Then you are basically not interested in games. Which is perfectly ok.

How do you make that correlation? XB and PS are both games consoles. They both do basically the same thing (as does PC). If you're not particularly fussed by some company's exclusive content, then the games platforms are very interchangeable. So how do get from, "if I don't want an MS console at a discount, I certainly don't need a Sony console to do the same job at increased price," to, "I have no interest in a Sony console. I don't like games"?

True. There are basically zero games for the 360. Most people just used it for Kinect and streaming video. That's why they were only able to sell 60+ million of them.

As for bkillian, I think a Nintendo VirtualBoy would be best.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Rockband can keep you from buying a next generation console, even one that you could get company discounts for, you are in fact not that interested in gaming. ;)

On a slightly larger scale, there are people who would say that if you are really interested in gaming, you would own at least two platforms, maybe three, money permitting. But that seems more contentious, than the idea than that the family decides whether or not there is room for a next gen console in a household based on whether or not Rockband and the 1000$ of DLC will run on it ;).

Personally, I would also be miffed if my Rockband and Singstar songs aren't available on the next-gen platforms, but that won't stop me from getting a next-gen system as soon as it is available (unless price/value ratio is out of the window of course).

Right now I just don't know enough about the neXtBox to know whether I'll want one or not. And the best thing about the Wii U so far is that the MaxPlay adapter allows you to run it in your car :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wii-u-goes-mobile

But the next Playstation 4 is quite likely to make it into our household. Hopefully doing a SingStore app up-port to PS4 isn't going to be too hard, and something like a port of the PC version of Rockband 3 may be easy too, but I'm willing to bet that the real issue is that the licencing deal with the music industry limits allowing users to take their content to a new platform, or something stupid like that.

Back