Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

The sub-pixel wear is an issue, but there's probably a lot of extra breathing room given due to the change in duty cycle for the low persistence. If the panel is only lit for 20% of the time, it's going to live much longer.
For the same brightness it would be the other way around of course.

Any way, what's wrong with strobing the backlight of a LCD? Too many patent problems?

Maybe you could get away with running the OLED panel at a lower intensity level due to blocking out all ambient light with the surrounding facemask/goggles thing, and thus not wear it as heavily. I'm still suspicious of the possibility of pixel wear though. If you get "burn-in" (not literally, but effect is the same), it would be VERY expensive to fix once warranty period is out - assuming warranty even covers it.

Maybe you could get away with running the OLED panel at a lower intensity level due to blocking out all ambient light with the surrounding facemask/goggles thing, and thus not wear it as heavily. I'm still suspicious of the possibility of pixel wear though. If you get "burn-in" (not literally, but effect is the same), it would be VERY expensive to fix once warranty period is out - assuming warranty even covers it.

I have a zune hd which is what 5 or 6 years old now and the colors still look just as great. I think the pixel wear is a bit of a mountain vs a mole hill .

Look at it this way , in 4 or 5 year are you still going to want your 1440p rift or do you want the new 8k verison ?

I could see it being a problem on say the ps4 where you pretty much make a static product for the next 5 or 6 years. People wont want to buy the same exact unit cause the pixels don't look as good.

For the same brightness it would be the other way around of course.

Any way, what's wrong with strobing the backlight of a LCD? Too many patent problems?

The main one is the response time. If you're only strobing for 2-3ms, then you'd preferably like to have the pixels fully switched for the duration of that window. I'm not sure what the specs are for the average IPS cell/tablet panel, but they're probably well north of 10ms (especially in the full contrast transitions, not just the faster grey-to-grey.) The TN panels used in the lightboost monitors seem to be fine-ish for handling those 2ms strobes, but even if 1080p 5.5" TN panels were available, I'd have a hard time being persuaded to use those over OLED, pentile or no.

The persistence blur is entirely angle/vector based rather than pixel based, so this is not something that'll be resolved by eventual resolution increases either - in fact, I'd say it'll likely make it worse. The clearer and better resolved the picture is stationary will only make the artifacts more obvious under motion. Maybe VR will become big enough to push LCD manufacturers to chase the response time spec, but with OLED that's something you basically get for free right now.

I have a zune hd which is what 5 or 6 years old now and the colors still look just as great. I think the pixel wear is a bit of a mountain vs a mole hill .
Do you have an entirely brand new zune to compare with? ...No, I didn't think so either. ;) The problem with comparing something that wears is just that you have no reference point anymore since the device has aged.

Also, seriously - how much runtime has your zune display actually experienced? A computer display could potentially see thousands of hours of use per year depending on how nutso the user is. After 15k hours, I think an OLED would be pretty damn worn and stretched.

Look at it this way , in 4 or 5 year are you still going to want your 1440p rift or do you want the new 8k verison ?
Considering there's no anywhere near reasonably priced GPU solution to drive 4k at fluid framerates today (unless your desire is to play only Team Fortress 2 for example), I don't think we'll see 8k in 4-5 years' time. Not to mention that there's likely zero chance the initial version of rift will actually feature 4k rez. I've seen speculation that it might end up as WQHD (2560*1440)...although with the kind of optics used in the rift there won't be anywhere near that many pixels being projected onto peoples' eyes of course, unfortunately.

People wont want to buy the same exact unit cause the pixels don't look as good.
Sorry, I don't quite follow.

hdmi 1.4b
Blah, I really hope that doesn't hold true for the final version. HDMI connectors don't belong on computer displays. Also hoping there won't be a set of cables running over the top of your head in the final version. That looks extremely untidy and amateurish IMO...although they're still just at the prototype stage of course so I'll cut them some slack for now. :)

Also, I wonder what wearing a couple hundred grams of 3D goggles on top of your face might do to your neck in the long run, especially to women and young people/kids. Fully grown men can maybe handle it fine, while others might experience strain. Perhaps a counterweight at the rear of your head would be beneficial?

Do you have an entirely brand new zune to compare with? ...No, I didn't think so either. ;) The problem with comparing something that wears is just that you have no reference point anymore since the device has aged.

Actually , I had 2 zune hds , one was a 16 gig and one was a 32 gig. The 16 gig was never used. Got it cheap at $50 from some store going out of business , circuit city or something I think.

My 32 gig was starting to die (battery ) so I switched out the parts, sadly in the last great snow storm it fell into the snow and now doesn't work. Both screens were almost identical in looks .

Also, seriously - how much runtime has your zune display actually experienced? A computer display could potentially see thousands of hours of use per year depending on how nutso the user is. After 15k hours, I think an OLED would be pretty damn worn and stretched.

I used it a lot in my car for pod casts and stuff. I couldn't say how much but over the last 5 or so years it had to be a lot . Sure a rift would most likely get more use , but they have also been improving the color issues on amoled screens in the last half a decade also.

Considering there's no anywhere near reasonably priced GPU solution to drive 4k at fluid framerates today (unless your desire is to play only Team Fortress 2 for example), I don't think we'll see 8k in 4-5 years' time. Not to mention that there's likely zero chance the initial version of rift will actually feature 4k rez. I've seen speculation that it might end up as WQHD (2560*1440)...although with the kind of optics used in the rift there won't be anywhere near that many pixels being projected onto peoples' eyes of course, unfortunately.

We already have the r290x doing 4k . Sure its not 90 fps but its doing it

http://anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/9

I would love for them to forget crossfire or sli and come up with a way to have 2 gpus each render one different eye for the rift

Sorry, I don't quite follow.

I'm saying on the ps4 your going to get Morpheus and that's it. There wont be a second version with a higher res screen for the ps4. So on sony's side it will be harder for a consumer to swallow if in 3 years the unit stops working as well. What will sony sell them ? Just the Morpheus

On the pc side by the time a rift screen goes bad (outside of defective units) there will already be a rift 3 or 4 out with better / higher res screens / higher frame rate or full body tracking and so on.

So if you have a CV1 rift in 2015 and in 2019 it dies , you can go out and buy the CV 4 and be happy as you get a bunch of upgrades.

Blah, I really hope that doesn't hold true for the final version. HDMI connectors don't belong on computer displays. Also hoping there won't be a set of cables running over the top of your head in the final version. That looks extremely untidy and amateurish IMO...although they're still just at the prototype stage of course so I'll cut them some slack for now. :)

If its a wire I don't mind , to many and it get annoying I think the problem is a battery pack. If i'm sitting where would I put it ? also i'd still have a wire going to do it even if I don't have one going to the pc itself.

Also, I wonder what wearing a couple hundred grams of 3D goggles on top of your face might do to your neck in the long run, especially to women and young people/kids. Fully grown men can maybe handle it fine, while others might experience strain. Perhaps a counterweight at the rear of your head would be beneficial?

good question , the tested guys asked the same thing on the video look at the new one.

I dunno , they keep trying to get the weight down. I'm assuming since your not staying in a fixed postion the whole time and are actually moving your head that your neck muscles will build up over time .

Why not? Most graphics cards have an HDMI out, I don't see it as something bad.
They also, include an HDMI to DVI-D dongle. So no problems there as well.

The cables are somewhat of an issue, but I don't see the final rift getting rid of them.
Unless your issue is with their placement. I think it's a lot better on top than on the side, because they are running straight to your back as opposed to any side where they might be in the way of your hands or shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would DIsplayPort remove the possiblity of cables running over the top of your head? How is HDMI any better or worse than DP for these purposes?

Oh, shit.

Well, so much for Oculus as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure I see any kind of synergy with Facebook's business, though.

Having FB's marketing power and money behind it can only be a good think IMO. I don't see how it precludes OR from being the same gaming platform it's always intended to be. Obviously there will be a additional social applications developed for it now as well. But hey, if that pushes it into the mainstream then that can only benefit the gaming potential.

How very odd - what on earth are Facebook doing in this space...?
Streaming sports events seems an odd reason. I guess on the gaming front they effectively already have all the social network side. Knowing what adverts you looked at in a game/sports stadium and charge accordingly might have some value.

And Carmack works for Facebook now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having FB's marketing power and money behind it can only be a good think IMO. I don't see how it precludes OR from being the same gaming platform it's always intended to be. Obviously there will be a additional social applications developed for it now as well. But hey, if that pushes it into the mainstream then that can only benefit the gaming potential.

Could be. All I meant is that I'm not giving my money to Facebook.

File this under: having more money than knowing what to do with + shit for brains = facebook buying oculus.

Gods... WHY...?!

I don't mind Ocu selling out, I expected that to happen pretty much any day now, but FACEBOOK?! Blech! Seriously, nobody else in the tech industry had $400M (+ overvalued stock) to throw at these guys whose other business made the slightest bit of sense when the two are paired up...?

File this under: having more money than knowing what to do with + shit for brains = facebook buying oculus.

Facebook is losing activity/importance on a daily basis. At the same time, they're sitting on top of a huge pile of cash (even if most of this cash is just some extremely over-valued shares).

They need to diversify or they'll die.
Seeing how Sony is making a big investment on VR and some big names are getting involved in it, betting on it seems a good enough strategy.

I don't think Zuckerberg will turn Oculus into a patent troll or even prevent them from following an open-source approach. I think it'll be the same as before, just with an "unlimited" budget that will probably speed up thing quite a bit.

Above all, I'm happy that Microsoft didn't grab Oculus. They would be the first to cockblock any open source software development and prevent the system from ever reaching the PC.

Back