Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

I remember they had one at the Atlantic City pier mall. My parents let me play once. I believe it was $50 for 15 minutes.

2,560x1,440 or 577ppi res at 5.1 inches. IT also has a 6x power advantage over lcd and oled screens. Wonder if this will make its way to the rift or something similar
It might be designed to use dithering at a much smaller effective resolution.

Are you F*ing kidding me? Ars Techinca reported he left id software that was why I am surprised.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/john-carmack-leaves-id-software-for-cto-post-at-oculus-vr/
John Carmack leaves id software for CTO post at Oculus VR

However other sites say he retains ties. Hopefully he is replacing armadillo aerospace activities with this. It sounded like that was winding down.

Endgadget says
Update: Bethesda Softworks (parent company to id Software) responded with the following statement to today's news: "John has long been interested in the work at Oculus VR and wishes to spend time on that project. The technical leadership he provides for games in development at id Software is unaffected." We've followed up for clarification as to what that means for Carmack's efforts at id. In the note from Oculus, Carmack is said to be heading up and working out of newly created Dallas offices for Oculus.

Leonar3Do Virtual Reality Kit

Have you ever heard about Leonar3Do Virtual Reality kit?

It is an integrated software and hardware platform, which is capable of creating an entire three-dimensional virtual reality environment. It enables the transformation of the traditional configuration of desktop computers (or other devices) into an interactive complete three-dimensional work environment. By using this virtual reality kit, creation, manipulation and analysis of three-dimensional objects are feasible in a real three-dimensional space.

A fancy demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_wGmjRMmI

400px-LeoCapture_in_use.jpeg

Leonar3Do's fresh development is Leopoly, which is compatible with Leap Motion. Leopoly is an online, social 3D sculpting application, developed by Leonar3Do International. The application was born to narrow the gap between professionals and beginners in 3D design and think of digital creation in a new and fun way. We can state certainty, that Leopoly brings you the easiest, most fun and intuitive tool, to prepare files for 3D printing.

Leopoly’s full Leap Motion compatibility allows users to grab any 3D object in space and simply sculpt them on with their hands as they would do virtual pottery. Leap Motion’s hand and finger motion sensor brings a revolutionary new approach to Leopoly in 3D design, requiring no input device, only our hands to contact and shape any object in space. The fallowing video may represent this immersive experience: Take a look for yourself!
BETA plugin for your Leap Motion is now free, so don’t hesitate to try it out!

Kind regards,
Simmons

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5285776/hands-on-with-crystal-cove-the-new-oculus-rift-prototype
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/07/testing-the-huge-breakthrough-in-new-oculus-rift-vr-prototype/

Seems like they've removed the blurring issues using a low persistence display. Haven't seen a mention of the refresh rate. Also improved latency to 30ms from 60ms. They're getting into a good range for gaming. Trying to get it down to one frame. Bumped to 1080p OLED. Now comes with a camera to track head position.

They way they've removed blurring is interesting. I wonder if they can bring that low persistence over to televisions? I don't understand why not. If the tv is fast enough, it works. Maybe big panels can't switch quick enough?

Looks like it's coming along brilliantly. This is so a day one purchase for me. It's going to change my gaming experience forever!

Nope I've never experienced any kind of VR. But based on my experience with stereoscopic 3D I can imagine how incredible it's going to be.

Well, I'd heard that the pixels were too big on the 720p prototype, but I thought people were being too difficult and that the 1080p version would solve any problems… until I tried the 720p prototype.

Those pixels are huge! Well, they're pretty small but from such a distance they look enormous, you can very clearly see the white backlight between well-defined square pixels. Obviously the final 1080p version will be better, but I don't think it will look good until they get to 2560×1600, and I suspect it won't be sharp enough to match what you get on a good display until they hit 4K.

The Oculus guys themselves say they'd want more than 8K per eye: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...esolution-per-eye-isnt-enough-for-perfect-vr/

Anyway, without going to such extremes, I'd encourage you to give the final version a try before you buy it.

A second dev kit release was just reconfirmed by Luckey, without further details. Hopefully reasonably soon.

Low-persistence AMOLED is a significant upgrade, but one worry is that the new screen could have a PenTile configuration. Carmack implied it would some months ago, and if being able to see the subpixel arrangements in the 720p kit is a problem now then seeing them with irregular PenTile patterns and artifacts could hurt the experience.

Back