Wolfenstein: The New Order

Except when you use the second fire option on the second weapon. That way you can spray the area with bullets or pellets and simultaneously launch grenades or those bouncing shrapnel shotgun shots. Really ups the gib quota.

I think he means having the dual wield options in the weapon wheel, when you can already just tap up on the D-Pad, is redundant. I would agree with that. Dropping the dual wield versions from the wheel (leaving just the D-Pad) would have uncluttered things quite a bit and made swapping weapons a bit more precise, I think. While still retaining all of the current functionality and dual wielding mayhem.

I've only been playing for a couple of hours, but so far I'm very impressed.
Something about how they are handling the cutscenes (I think it is mainly the camera work) keeps it from feeling clichéd somehow. The hospital timelapse was surprisingly affecting.

There is a level of artistry in the game which the tech sadly just isn't quite managing to do justice. It's somewhat ironic that the main feature of id t5 elevates the artwork's identity so much yet ultimately can't cope with it either.
My main gripe so far is the audio balance seems completely off, for example the dialog in the opening mission was incredibly difficult to understand. Yet some of the ambient work is just fantastic...

I've only been playing for a couple of hours, but so far I'm very impressed.
Something about how they are handling the cutscenes (I think it is mainly the camera work) keeps it from feeling clichéd somehow. The hospital timelapse was surprisingly affecting.

There is a level of artistry in the game which the tech sadly just isn't quite managing to do justice. It's somewhat ironic that the main feature of id t5 elevates the artwork's identity so much yet ultimately can't cope with it either.
My main gripe so far is the audio balance seems completely off, for example the dialog in the opening mission was incredibly difficult to understand. Yet some of the ambient work is just fantastic...

Somehow I also felt sorry for these guys having to use the Tech5 engine. Not sure if it was their own choice few years ago or something forced upon them by ID or Betheseda. Hopefully the new Doom and a possible successor to this one use a more advanced engine.

The game was so refreshing from the whole "hide and regen" to only allowed to carry 2 guns limitation that ALL fps games are doing these days with overly complicated AI which I dont necessarily think it results a better game play experience.

Im not sure if its the engine, but killing enemies in this game felt so damn satisfying :cool:

This game takes me back to the sheer enjoyment and immersion I felt playing Half Life 2. I love it.

Thats where your going wrong, stop hiding you big wuss ;)
I think this game is more fun when you run and gun whenever you can. Mowing over groups of enemies with powerful weapons is very satisfying. :)
So glad this game has a new game+ mode. And I just unlocked 999 mode (999 health, infinite ammo). Can't wait to play around with it after I'm done my second play-through.

GOTY for me personally so far.

Is it just me, or is the plot starting to fly off the rails about half way through?... I'm all for sillyness but this is taking itself rather seriously,

as far as I can tell:
So the Nazi's found a secret ancient tomb of technology, but an old guy managed to splice in a mould into the 'super concrete' they found in the tomb, which has been key to their growth - but also means their buildings are falling apart and some even collapsing. So we go find him for some reason that isn't entirely clear (the VO is sooo quite), and he says there is a bigger tomb under the sea (because why the fuck not? :mrgreen:). So you go steal a u-boat to get to the tomb (no obvious reason why we are doing this? - other than to get unspecified technology?).. You do this by hiding in a torpedo - to get to the torpedo, you drive a mini-sub about 10m in the sewers and somehow arrive at an underground train station that happens to have a train that is carrying torpedos. You drive the train to another station and get into a torpedo. When you wake up on the u-boat, by luck it is the largest u-boat the Nazi's have and it even has a nuclear capable main gun, but unfortunately the captain gets killed - so for some reason we absolutely need his nuke codes (to blow up a building?) so the only way to get them is to go to the moon. In order to do that, you have to hijack a train on a bridge and capture the cheif scientist that we somehow know is on the train - and that'll let you get the moon somehow. So in order to stop the train you use a giant levitating sphere that shoots grappling hooks, which was the only useful thing in the underwater vault... And that's about as far as I am.. WTF?

It's weird, because the small scale plot details (character interactions, personalities) are handled incredibly well.

I love the little touches and comments/conversation BJ sometimes has with himself, early on there is a burnt out car you can get into; "hey baby, want a ride?" and the "this is becoming a compulsion" line :mrgreen:
For the most part, the writing and animation does a fantastic job of conveying emotion. Moreso than any recent game I can think of.

I love the little touches and comments/conversation BJ sometimes has with himself, early on there is a burnt out car you can get into; "hey baby, want a ride?" and the "this is becoming a compulsion" line :mrgreen:
For the most part, the writing and animation does a fantastic job of conveying emotion. Moreso than any recent game I can think of.

I was happy about those too, but it means we have similar approach to the game - try to press on everything to find secrets :D

I also love how they implemented first level of original Wolf into this game. It's so fun to find all the secrets in the level of an old game you last time played 15 years ago and amazingly still remember where they are ;).

To me so far it's a great game. Not AAA super production type of a game but more like Painkiller pure pleasure type of a game.

I really like it. Seems that I have reached the last level. SP campaign is really meaty and long, but still offers enough variety.

Great game. I love those FPS games with a real single player mode!

To me so far it's a great game. Not AAA super production type of a game but more like Painkiller pure pleasure type of a game.
I am very skeptical about this game (as I am of all of the id-inspired games), but this comment intrigues me. I really liked Painkiller back in the day.

Just finished the game...nice! Really good. If you like fps single player - go get it while its hot.

Also, I really like the new consoles. High quality graphics and smooth performance without playing around with settings - I like it.

I am very skeptical about this game (as I am of all of the id-inspired games), but this comment intrigues me. I really liked Painkiller back in the day.

Well, as said before, you can approach the game from the 'stealth' angle but it is fun only on the first few levels. Going gun blazing is the receipt for much better fun and certain level I think took inspiration from this move:

Dual welded shotguns with pellet ammo makes for Matrix like experience ;)

Well, as said before, you can approach the game from the 'stealth' angle but it is fun only on the first few levels. Going gun blazing is the receipt for much better fun and certain level I think took inspiration from this move:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfoVFXjIukY">YouTube Link</a>

Dual welded shotguns with pellet ammo makes for Matrix like experience ;)

I typically went stealth...until the very end. Only when I failed and got caught, I switch to Rambo.

But this isn't so easy either, as the Shotgun guys are very hard imo...

I typically went stealth...until the very end. Only when I failed and got caught, I switch to Rambo.

But this isn't so easy either, as the Shotgun guys are very hard imo...

I went stealth most of the game just to get all stealthy perks enabled, but end of the game kind of requires more open approach :)

For heavy guys I usually used mix of grenades/rockets and dual welded guns. Laser weapons are also very effective against them but small batteries are PITA.

Yeah, I save rockets, grenades and the laser weapons for heavily armored enemies. Also pickup the heavy machine guns whenever possible.

There is quite a bit of social commentary in the various newspaper clippings scattered around.
It does a surprising job of showing the benefits the Nazi society brings to the hypothetical 60s while also reminding that neither side were saints. There was one clipping about allied bombing of German cities, which was rather poignant - as much as the UK was affected by the blitz, it has nothing on allied bombing of German cities - basically the game does a good job of not falling into mindless propaganda.

There were a few rather wrenching moments along these lines - early on if you sneak up on the captain who is talking on the phone, if you let him speak you gather his family is being threatened if he doesn't stop you and that he misses not being with his daughters... :(

I feel they took it too far with the audio logs though, too blatant, and their random unlocking made them feel like an interruption more than anything.

I wish they'd gone the Doom 3 route with the audio logs, and let them continue playing outside of the journal screen. I'd want to get more immersed by listening to the log, but being taken out of game play for the duration of it spoiled the experience a bit.

Back