Wolfenstein: The New Order

The last one, made by Raven, was mediocre. Mostly fun, but the final boss fight was stupid. This one is being made by MachineGames, which is composed of ex-Starbreeze people.

This is excellent news.

I liked the Raven wolfenstein except for the enemy respawning and having to hunt for money to BUY weapons and ammo. Also, there were no cheat commands that I know of, partly I guess because it was a direct console port and I believe MS disallows cheat modes in their games in this era of shitty achievement point-whoring. And since it's a console port there isn't a console to type any codes into anyway, so there we go... :p

Hope there will be a console, with cheats. I need to blow off steam sometimes, activating godmode and gunning down enemies with impunity does that really well for me...

spectorfow8usg.png

Harsh, Mr. Spector. Very harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find that comment in that very ironic. :) Considering that most of the best performing Kickstarter funding campaigns have been for games that are rehashes of older games. Games and game types that used to be made but now no longer are due to the limited appeal to a mass market gamer who wants an easy game with easy mechanics.

Although I suppose a return to old game types and old gameplay models could be considered new as they are no longer made by the AAA devs and publishers.

Regards,
SB

I find that comment in that very ironic. :) Considering that most of the best performing Kickstarter funding campaigns have been for games that are rehashes of older games. Games and game types that used to be made but now no longer are due to the limited appeal to a mass market gamer who wants an easy game with easy mechanics.

Although I suppose a return to old game types and old gameplay models could be considered new as they are no longer made by the AAA devs and publishers.

Regards,
SB

I don't know what Mr. Spector has been playing, but it has been AGES since we killed Nazi in a game now ! Infact, theres such a dearth of WW games now that I have been playing MOH Airborne and MOH Frontlines these days !

I WANT my WWII era back in gaming :devilish: ! I so wish to a see proper Brothers in Arms or MOH or even a COD with real WWI and II missions with a superbly real atmosphere created using next gen Hardwares. I want my real gaming back !

Hopefully they pay homage to secret areas, hidden stash like in Metro2k33, and we can expect interiors like Fallout3-s hotel and hospital locations (with hidden doors and traps) would be such great setting for this game. Those areas made Fallout3 a much better game.
Mechanized foes aren't a problem to be upset about once have the gravity to accompany their size IMO.

Regards,
SB
:smile: Ironies of life, Silent. Sometimes it's good to reach back to our rich tradition.

On a different note, Carmack is very happy with the development team behind the new Wolfenstein.

John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 4m

Machinegames has some of the sharpest developers we have ever worked with, both passionate and pragmatic. Doing Wolfenstein proud.

More news:

The new Wolfenstein will be Single-Player Only. YAY!! There is still some hope.

I am not against MP, but featuring it in every single game makes no sense in the long run --at least for some games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/no-multiplayer-in-new-wolfenstein-6408085

Matthies said the decision to skip multiplayer was part of the studio's efforts not to taint the legacy of the Wolfenstein series.

"It's such a huge part of video game legacy," he said. "If there's a video game museum, Wolfenstein is in the first room. It's the start of the wave that shaped the world of gaming."

Sometimes people today say when a FPS is coming out that it is just "another FPS.

Well, it's a classic. With all the fps games around, Wolfenstein at least has some historical pedigree. If they do something worthy of the title, then I'd love it. I had LOADS of fun with Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the Xbox 1.

It was in my top 5 best Xbox 1 games.

MachineGames have said that they are not going to create just another FPS, but something more along the lines of an action packed adventure.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/bethesda-announces-wolfenstein-the-new-order

Gameplay reveal ! Dual weilding mayhem ! Awesome looking tech 5 and destructability : Pillars breaking and cover shattering ! And cool sounding guns with a Punch ! This looks good !

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the idea to cut out parts of the environment and shoot through the hole. I haven't seen that before. Let's hope they won't ignore the supernatural aspect of the franchise as that added a mystic aspect to the universe in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

P.S. It was quite weird back then to see some level in RTCW playing around Wewelsburg because I live a few kms away from the real Castle Wewelsburg located in the small village Wewelsburg next to a really small river called Alme. The game itself was in no way a real landscape representation of the area but more a collection of ideas of the wider area(castle, reservoir dam in the surrounding 50km) baked together as their fictional representation of the real Wewelsburg.

A german article with a few photos about the real place http://schmalenstroer.net/blog/2010/06/die-wewelsburg-bei-paderborn-und-die-ss/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSuiK8JPgqg">YouTube Link</a>

Gameplay reveal ! Dual weilding mayhem ! Awesome looking tech 5 and destructability : Pillars breaking and cover shattering ! And cool sounding guns with a Punch ! This looks good !

Cool!! I'll keep an eye on that one!

I liked the idea to cut out parts of the environment and shoot through the hole. I haven't seen that before. Let's hope they won't ignore the supernatural aspect of the franchise as that added a mystic aspect to the universe in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

P.S. It was quite weird back then to see some level in RTCW playing around Wewelsburg because I live a few kms away from the real Castle Wewelsburg located in the small village Wewelsburg next to a really small river called Alme. The game itself was in no way a real landscape representation of the area but more a collection of ideas of the wider area(castle, reservoir dam in the surrounding 50km) baked together as their fictional representation of the real Wewelsburg.

A german article with a few photos about the real place http://schmalenstroer.net/blog/2010/06/die-wewelsburg-bei-paderborn-und-die-ss/

Bethesda has replied on that very video, in comments, that they are staying away from the Super natural elemnts in this game :( ! Its a bummer, but atleast the gameplay and guns shown in this video seems like good ol' school fun !

Back