AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I have no clue why NVIDIA came up with that marketing-TDP for GTX 980, but it's real TDP is 180W

181W for be precise .. It is writed in the bios so we cant be wrong lol . ( power limit for turbo is set at 181W on "standard gpu / clock" it goes way higher on the AIB retail ( i have see an MSI with 220W limit )
It is marketing, but the magic number of 165W is the average TDP effectively.

Does TDP usually refer to max instantaneous consumption or average?

TDP is an average: thermal power is dissipated with a time constant of seconds, so transient power is much less important than instantaneous power.

Dunno why people here keep getting TDP and other things confused.

181W for be precise .. It is writed in the bios so we cant be wrong lol . ( power limit for turbo is set at 181W on "standard gpu / clock" it goes way higher on the AIB retail ( i have see an MSI with 220W limit )
It is marketing, but the magic number of 165W is the average TDP effectively.

Gigabyte 970 is 250W and 980 300W (The windforce models)

I have no clue why NVIDIA came up with that marketing-TDP for GTX 980, but it's real TDP is 180W

Ahh..thanks. I had a feeling myself that it was 180W but thought I would double check and since NV said 165W I went with it. Gotta love marketing :rolleyes:
I'm using the GTX980 TDP of 185W. (Turns out it's 180W.)

Agreed. And it may be less because of DP FP. But even with 24, it's 50% more than gm204 and that goes past the 250W mark. Not that I would mind going past that. Going on the cooler that AMD has been preparing, they're going to do that also...
Yep if we take 180W then indeed the difference is lower. Usually the bigger die GPUs are clocked a bit lower and have higher power efficiency. But in this case, they may not have much scope for that as the difference between GM204 and GM200 are much lower than the previous generations.

I think they could mange 24 SMM's even with DP FP. They do have ~40% more die area to play around with after all. GM200 should have higher density as well.

I had another idea..I speculate that is also possible that Nvidia has gone for a 512 bit MC. At the launch of Hawaii, AMD mentioned that the area required for a slower 512 bit MC was actually lower than for a high speed 384 bit one. It would also let them stick with 2 MB L2 cache as with 384 bit it would have to be 3MB. Apart from lower die size, the other major benefit of this approach would be the ability to offer large amounts (16 GB) of VRAM for the professional segment.

That's impressive. 2.5 TFLOPs DP at 235W goes a long way. The second place system appears to be a pure-x86 system (am I reading that right?) which is extremely impressive too. The NVidia system in 3rd place is outperformed by 19%, which is hardly trivial.

Thought I could help but no, just looking up their mobile GPUs almost all of them seem to be available in 2/4GB versions excluding the M290X and (unreleased, rumoured?) M295X, both having 4GB.

Back