AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Maybe they are gearing up to release a WHQL driver? Those releases seem rare enough now to warrant a marketing campaign.

One WHQL driver release in 2014 so far AMD. I expect my £300+ investment in your product to get more than token support thanks.

Winston Churchill loved men who grinned when fighting. AMD relishes competition.
Ahem, good ole Winston was an astoundingly racist racist, who'd happily cashed his chips in with Hitler had not the latter threatened the might and domination of the british empire. Not really the best role model for a marketing campaign, if that's what this tweet is.

Ahem, good ole Winston was an astoundingly racist racist, who'd happily cashed his chips in with Hitler had not the latter threatened the might and domination of the british empire. Not really the best role model for a marketing campaign, if that's what this tweet is.

Likely over 90% of the world's population was racist to some extent at the time. But I somehow doubt Churchill would have participated in attempted genocide.

Regards,
SB

Likely over 90% of the world's population was racist to some extent at the time. But I somehow doubt Churchill would have participated in attempted genocide.
You're not acquainted with the 1943 Bengal Famine?
And it was India that would be the greatest stain on Churchill’s record at its otherwise splendid climax. As prime minister from 1940 to 1945 he obstinately thwarted any attempt to move toward a settlement with Gandhi and the Congress nationalists. Worse still was the awful Bengal famine of 1943. Like the Irish famine 100 years before, it was not caused by the London government, but in both cases official indifference and inaction gravely aggravated the horror, and destroyed any moral authority the British claimed to rule those suffering peoples.

Underlying Churchill’s refusal to alleviate the famine was sheer racial contempt. “Starvation of anyhow underfed Bengalis is less serious than that of sturdy Greeks,” he said, and those who worked with him knew well his tirades about the “foul race” of Hindus.
Churchill's distain for Indians and their self-governance is established fact, as is his admiration of other imperialists (see his 1927 praising of Benito Mussolini in addition to Herr Hitler).

Does it matter to GPUs?

Question is what will AMD launch, as they had a Geforce Hashtag, I would think it is more on the GPU side. So anything is possible from Tonga XT to Fiji to an unknown product to a new Never Settle campaign or simple price reductions.

don't know where to put this information, but since it's relevant to the future of AMD, here we go:
KitGuru Says: It looks like AMD has just transferred its fundamental IP and 150 R&D engineers to Synopsys in exchange for IP that it is going to use in the next four or five years. While the company did save a lot of money, it lost a lot of engineers and ability to develop certain technologies going forward. Does such business approach make sense? Maybe. But it looks like another form of asset-light strategy announced many years ago.

more here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...psys-to-co-design-14nm-10nm-apu-gpu-products/

How AMD will compete with Nvidia in R&D when they basically outsource some of their man power ?

I feel like AMD needs to have a stronger chip that isn't pure compute so that they can start trying to compete on efficiency again.

I feel like AMD needs to have a stronger chip that isn't pure compute so that they can start trying to compete on efficiency again.

Yes it would make sense to make a GM204 equivalent that is focused on pure gaming and less on compute.

I guess most of the r&d graphics budget are spent to make an as good as possible graphics/compute-HSA architecture that also is scaleable to the APU:s?

Tonga is full HSA? Good grief, why haven't we heard of this before?

I think review was mention it, well maybe not so clearly.

It finalize the implementation of the last HSA features you can find on the roadmap for 2014. ( and this is why it is a little bit different of Hawaii, who dont have thoses one ) .

Look here on Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8460/amd-radeon-r9-285-review/2

GPU context switch, GPU graphics preemption, HSA extended to discrete GPU ( tonga ). ( and QoS was allready implemented in the Firepro if i dont do a misstake )

Yes it would make sense to make a GM204 equivalent that is focused on pure gaming and less on compute.

I guess most of the r&d graphics budget are spent to make an as good as possible graphics/compute-HSA architecture that also is scaleable to the APU:s?

Far higher margins in the professional/GPU compute space.

Though a more gaming orientated part would be nice, so that we can avoid statements like this:

GTX 980 gave NVIDIA a well-earned lead over AMD, but it’s the one-two punch of GTX 980 and GTX 970 together that so solidly cement NVIDIA’s position as the top GPU manufacturer. It’s one thing for R9 290X to lose to NVIDIA’s flagship, but to be outright tied by NVIDIA’s second tier card is a slap in the face that AMD won’t soon forget.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/17

I think review was mention it, well maybe not so clearly.

It finalize the implementation of the last HSA features you can find on the roadmap for 2014. ( and this is why it is a little bit different of Hawaii, who dont have thoses one ) .

GPU context switch, GPU graphics preemption, HSA extended to discrete GPU ( tonga ). ( and QoS was allready implemented in the Firepro if i dont do a misstake )

Ryan's review was delayed and it got lost, it appears. Thanks, mate.

That's interesting, coupled with Carrizo which is also "GCN 1.2" you will finally get all the HSA stuff at once.

Though as was said on these forums, HSA to discrete GPU would presumably be of use in very specific workloads.

Wow, full Tonga could give Hawaii a run for its money. Especially if they can put 6-7GHz GDDR5 on that 384bit bus.

Back