AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

That gives us a lower bound estimate about the number of CUs Tonga has, 28 ;-).
Looks like a dual-Bonaire essentially so far. I really hope though mem frequency is going to be higher on the desktop parts!

What I'm curious about is the GCN 1.1 claim, as Tonga is, at least based on CodeXL, Volcanic Islands, not Sea Islands like Hawaii & Bonaire?
Also notable is that unlike the others, W7100 is available in Q4, not September

Apparently it's the same IP level as Bonaire and Hawaii, CodeXL must have been wrong. At least we now know it's not a Fantasy Island.

There are some inaccuracies in the Anandtech article. "GCN 1.1" or whatever is their naming, so it doesn't really mean anything in the first place.

If we follow the Guru3D article: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-tonga-gpu-actually-has-2048-stream-processors.html

A block diagram on AMD Tonga R9 285 has appeared on the web, and it shows that the GPU carries 2048 Stream Processors. Tonga will end up as the GPU used in the AMD Radeon R9 285, however already is used in yesterday's release FirePro cards.

The GPU has 2048 GCN stream processors running over 32 compute units. The chip would have 128 texture memory units

The block diagram originates from a FirePro W7100 professional graphics card presentation which is based on "Tonga." The W7100 uses 28 of the 32 available CUs and as such you can easily recalculate the true number of shader processors. Tonga will be tied to a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface

The initial consumer graphics card based on Tonga will be the Radeon R9 285 which is expect to have 1792 activated stream processors making it perform at GeForce GTX 760 and Radeon HD 7950 level performance but with better thermals and lower power consumption.

285 might end up slower than 280X but 285X shouldn't
Tonga has as many CU's as Tahiti, double the geometry engines (triangle setup), 4 times the ACEs, other GCN "1.1" (or 1.2?) improvements also apply, only thing it'll lose on is memory bandwidth (probably)

How reliable is that? I see no reason to trust that. Looks more like a photoshop of a Hawaii block diagram.

I have absolutely no idea how reliable it is or not. the only thing i can see is the phrase who can let think this slide was part of W7100 presentation launch.

The block diagram originates from a FirePro W7100 professional graphics card presentation which is based on "Tonga."

Anyway, If Tonga is based on the same architecture than Hawaii, i absolutely not see how different it could be than that.

Hmm 285 slower than the 280? Either false or a stupid move.
I suspect it is just because the similar SP count between the 7950 and the 285 ( If specs are true ofc ). If clocked higher + little arch imporvement at standard 1080p resolution the new 285 should be faster ( first 7950 = 850mhz, 7950 Boost = 925mhz ) @ 1050mhz, this could be just under the 7970GHZ perf.

As for the rumored 285x with 2048SP.. well it is the same vs the 1050mhz of the 7970 GHZ edition.

Now lets be honest, i dont really expect anything special in term of performance for thoses 2 gpu's outside maybe the rumored good perf / watt and the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it doesn't originate from the FirePro launch deck. I believe it may have originated from Hardware.fr where Damien has done some analysis based on what was announced, other stuff on the web, etc.

Back