AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

This chip could have won plentiful of design wins, laptop manufacturers would have been happy to use it, not to mention customers.

Sometimes I think that there is something going on in that company and shoot themselves in the foot and no one else is responsible for their money bleeding processes.

It's not only that. AMD threw Hainan/Oland/Sun in market segments, where Cape Verde/Bonaire should have been. NV uses a far broader range of GPUs for the mobile market, by downclocking. For OpenCL developement there are very few good mobile devices, because NV hangs up with CUDA. In my opinion its just a shame, because it looks like AMD is not even trying to compete in the mobile sector. Others might say, go with an APU, but a modern GCN APU is not even in sight, right now.

It's not only that. AMD threw Hainan/Oland/Sun in market segments, where Cape Verde/Bonaire should have been. NV uses a far broader range of GPUs for the mobile market, by downclocking. For OpenCL developement there are very few good mobile devices, because NV hangs up with CUDA. In my opinion its just a shame, because it looks like AMD is not even trying to compete in the mobile sector. Others might say, go with an APU, but a modern GCN APU is not even in sight, right now.
What do you mean by in sight? Kabini is modern GCN it just doesn't have the same HSA capabilities as Kaveri.

What do you mean by in sight? Kabini is modern GCN it just doesn't have the same HSA capabilities as Kaveri.

Kabini offers graphics performance far below any modern discrete mobile GPU products.

Kaveri could compete with the discrete low-end, but as Nakai said the release of mobile Kaveri chips has yet to be given a date.

It's not only that. AMD threw Hainan/Oland/Sun in market segments, where Cape Verde/Bonaire should have been.

How so? Notebook is OEM only and the market dictates the segmentation. All of your first group of solutions are smaller dies than the second, using the same process...

Kabini offers graphics performance far below any modern discrete mobile GPU products.

Kaveri could compete with the discrete low-end, but as Nakai said the release of mobile Kaveri chips has yet to be given a date.
Of course, but Nakai mentioned OpenCL development not graphics performance. You could do a lot of OpenCL development with Kabini, just not performance tweaking if your target market isn't a Kabini class chip.

Of course, but Nakai mentioned OpenCL development not graphics performance. You could do a lot of OpenCL development with Kabini, just not performance tweaking if your target market isn't a Kabini class chip.

One sentence of his post mentioned OpenCL development, but I was of the assumption that his post as a whole was in regards to overall graphics performance.

One sentence of his post mentioned OpenCL development, but I was of the assumption that his post as a whole was in regards to overall graphics performance.
Maybe. When a thread is read over multiple days it's easy to forget what was previously discussed. :smile:

Nakai can speak up if there was reasoning besides performance.

Another Oland/Hainan-class GPU out there?
6900 Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260]
6901 Topaz PRO [Radeon R5 M255]
6920 Tonga
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3023935806

The device ID clearly differs from other know GPUs. But these mobile solutions are between Oland and Hainan based solutions.

Maybe some sort of updated Oland with TrueAudio and other V.I. tweaks. Mabye the also copied the large caches of GK208/GM108 to achieve a better performance with DDR3?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://videocardz.com/50472/amd-launch-new-flagship-radeon-graphics-card-summer

more interesting, in my opinion:

• 28nm TSMC 1H 2014 : Hawaii, VI 1.0
  • 28nm GlobalFoundries 2H 2014 : Iceland and Tonga, VI 2.0
  • 28nm GlobalFoundries 1H 2015 : Maui, VI 2.0
  • 20nm GlobalFoundries 2H 2015 : Fiji and Treasure, PI 1.0
  • 20nm GlobalFoundries 1H 2016 : Bermuda, PI 1.0
  • 14nm GlobalFoundries 2H 2016 : Mid-GPU and Low-GPU, PI 2.0
  • 14nm GlobalFoundries 1H 2017 : High-GPU, PI 2.0

Most of this comes from Seronx, a SemiAccurate user known for making up rather silly things and stating them as facts. Disregard.

I have a question about the ACEs/Queues of Southern Islands vs. Volcanic Islands: How are 8 ACEs with 64 Queues (VI) vis-a-vis 2 ACEs/2 queues (SI) going to influence performance of future games? I'm talking about game engines that have been optimized for XBO/PS4 (no PS3/360 cross-platform) and then ported to PC. Will the difference be decisive enough to make an upgrade necessary despite using moderate settings? What exactly will the ACEs influence? Thanks.

I have a question about the ACEs/Queues of Southern Islands vs. Volcanic Islands: How are 8 ACEs with 64 Queues (VI) vis-a-vis 2 ACEs/2 queues (SI) going to influence performance of future games? I'm talking about game engines that have been optimized for XBO/PS4 (no PS3/360 cross-platform) and then ported to PC. Will the difference be decisive enough to make an upgrade necessary despite using moderate settings? What exactly will the ACEs influence? Thanks.
Difference shouldn't be big, ACEs are just buffers if I understand currectly. They help a few percent in asynchronous compute tasks but there really isn't much difference in measurable performance between the 2 even in compute driven tasks. There would be even less influence in games.

So, as it was shown at Pirate Islands -thread, Hawaii is actually Sea Islands, not Volcanic Islands.
Tonga and Iceland are actually Volcanic Islands GPUs, though
(From AMD's CodeXL)

Is there a list of all "Islands", or can you tell please what island groups correspond to what gen? I've never even worked out what "Southern Islands" and "Northern Islands" were, especially due to the cancelled 32nm generation which was one of those orginally.

Is there a list of all "Islands", or can you tell please what island groups correspond to what gen? I've never even worked out what "Southern Islands" and "Northern Islands" were, especially due to the cancelled 32nm generation which was one of those orginally.

Borrowed image from the other thread (Maybe Alexko could take a shot with all the trees showing):
Screen_Shot258.png

It's not 100% accura though, as Sea Islands can be found as HD 7000 too for example (HD 7790)

edit:
This shows Sea Islands too:
8LjI06P.jpg

Kalindri is apparently Kabini/Temash, Mullins is Mullins/Beema, Spectre & Spooky, based on Googling, are both Kaveri's

Back