AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

:LOL: Pissing off who? The thousands of people who buy out every single card available every day? If you didn't know Newegg has an automated script that increases the price of high demand items. The fact that it is up so high and the cards continue to sell out is a compliment to the popularity of the cards.

This is a bad biased argument in favour of the supplier. But if you think honestly, you don't know whether they control or not the supply by producing the maximum possible chips or less

Reviews of the Sapphire R9 290 card with custom cooler "Tri-X":
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/63953-sapphire-radeon-r9-290-tri-x/
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-tri-x-oc-im-test/

It's custom overclocked, so it gets between 1 and 3% slower than the 290X in über mode but clearly faster than quiet mode overall.
Temperatures and noise output is similar to that of a GTX 780.

As soon as that card reaches the same ~370€ price of the current R9 290 units, this is clearly a winner.

Yeah, based on the reviews I've read the power consumption of custom cooler Hawaii cards is totally under control. I could put one in my little mITX box with a 450W PSU and be fine.

4 x 12CUs

2237464E52BC52E8043E26

http://udteam.tistory.com/594

Should we expect a fully enabled Hawaii to compete with the 780Ti in the future, then?

AMD codenames are a mess, Hawaii should be "Volcanic Islands", but it's the same as Bonaire "Sea Islands", then on APU front Kaveri/Berlin is "Sea Islands" and Carrizo/Toronto has "Volcanic Islands" - what's up?

AMD codenames are a mess, Hawaii should be "Volcanic Islands", but it's the same as Bonaire "Sea Islands", then on APU front Kaveri/Berlin is "Sea Islands" and Carrizo/Toronto has "Volcanic Islands" - what's up?

What's up is that the "Islands" names only exist for marketing purposes and don't refer to graphics IP levels. The latter, as far as I'm aware, don't have public names.

I just call Tahiti/Cape_Verde/Pitcairn/Oland GCN 1.0 and Bonaire/Hawaii/Kaveri GCN 1.1.

So the "48 CU" is wrong?

It could be that the extra CUs are there for redundancy and yields but the rest of the GPU cannot handle all of them being activated at the same time.
A bit like the first Fermi GF100 not being able to activate all 512 CUDA cores.

What's up is that the "Islands" names only exist for marketing purposes and don't refer to graphics IP levels. The latter, as far as I'm aware, don't have public names.

I just call Tahiti/Cape_Verde/Pitcairn/Oland GCN 1.0 and Bonaire/Hawaii/Kaveri GCN 1.1.

But if they're only marketing names, why would Kaveri, coming out later than "Volcanic Islands" Hawaii, have "Sea Islands", when marketing wise having both as "Volcanic Islands" would obviously be better?

So the "48 CU" is wrong?

Not necessarily, I was expecting this type of answer:

It could be that the extra CUs are there for redundancy and yields but the rest of the GPU cannot handle all of them being activated at the same time.
A bit like the first Fermi GF100 not being able to activate all 512 CUDA cores.

But if they're only marketing names, why would Kaveri, coming out later than "Volcanic Islands" Hawaii, have "Sea Islands", when marketing wise having both as "Volcanic Islands" would obviously be better?

Alexko told you already in the other thread:

Don't try to understand the logic behind a marketing department's decision, it can be very hazardous to your mental health

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1816124#post1816124

We are not going to blame them, just let them do anything they want even if they think it has some weird type of logic and is 'right'.

New mobile graphics cards announced:
- R9 M290X which is a rebranding of Radeon 8970M which was by itself a rebranding of Radeon 7970M (Pitcairn GPU)
- R7 M265 which I'm hoping it'll finaly be mobile Bonaire (though AMD might want to reserve that chip for the R9 M280..)
- R5 M230 which seems to be a rebranding of HD 8570M, a cut-down version of Oland with just 5 CUs /320 SPs.

I wonder what's the point with R5 M230 in 2014. It uses 64-bit DDR3 for a maximum of 16GB/s bandwidth and its performance should be lower than (or comparable to) most APUs coming out this year. Perhaps the aim is to Crossfire with the lower-end Kaveris on laptops..?

This reminds me of those laptops with an Ivybridge HD4000 and a Geforce 610M.
Those who turned off the dGPU would get better performance in games..

New mobile graphics cards announced:
- R9 M290X which is a rebranding of Radeon 8970M which was by itself a rebranding of Radeon 7970M (Pitcairn GPU)
- R7 M265 which I'm hoping it'll finaly be mobile Bonaire (though AMD might want to reserve that chip for the R9 M280..)
- R5 M230 which seems to be a rebranding of HD 8570M, a cut-down version of Oland with just 5 CUs /320 SPs.

I wonder what's the point with R5 M230 in 2014. It uses 64-bit DDR3 for a maximum of 16GB/s bandwidth and its performance should be lower than (or comparable to) most APUs coming out this year. Perhaps the aim is to Crossfire with the lower-end Kaveris on laptops..?
I think it would be a nice sidekick for Kabini/Beema but not much else. Even low-end Kaveris have 128bit memory, and only the 1 module versions have less than 6 CUs. Though arguably AMD just loves the crossfired configurations (so a 64bit 5CU chip with probably higher clock than what some 128bit 6CU Kaveri has might make some sense), even though IMHO these configurations have near zero merit.
For the record though I don't think it's a rename of HD 8570M, since I suspect with these specs it's using Sun die now and not Mars/Oland (Sun is natively 64bit, 5CUs, no display controller/uvd etc.). AFAIK all the existing mobile chips were Mars.

Back