AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Nasty noise & power though.

Gotta be about the first time that many people consider buying 2nd from top card & downclocking it.

Anand's conclusion is facepalm inducing. Ryan needs to learn how to reset fan settings after upgrading the drivers.

Damn, it's practically a 290x for $150 less. AMD has gone wacko. They really hate making money :LOL:

:LOL:

I am actually quite happy and satisfied that they love to listen to their customers, here you can say they are much more customer-friendly than their competitor. Kudos for this.

Of course, if you think logically- they will still earn cash but at least don't piss customers off and more improtantly- place the products not overpriced in the sane range where they are extremely competitive.

Don't you understand this?

Now instead of the 780 Ti being compared to a $550 card it'll have to justify its $300 premium over the 290. Hopefully nvidia reconsiders.

Anand's conclusion is facepalm inducing. Ryan needs to learn how to reset fan settings after upgrading the drivers.

Whys that?

OTOH we have a new testing method courtesy of Ryan. Noise equalization :!: Conclusion, 290 is no faster than 280 :devilish:

R9 290 seems like a perfect card for a water block. Water block removes the fan noise, and the card seems to overclock quite well with a good cooler. And even if you don't intend to overclock it, better cooling removes all the throttling (allowing the card to run at maximum speed all the time). The card has unbeatable price/performance for this use case.

R9 290 seems like a perfect card for a water block. Water block removes the fan noise, and the card seems to overclock quite well with a good cooler. And even if you don't intend to overclock it, better cooling removes all the throttling (allowing the card to run at maximum speed all the time). The card has unbeatable price/performance for this use case.

It doesn't even need a waterblock for that, but a good third party solution from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc. Water cooling will be better, but will imo help more if you have more than one card in the system. Good air coolers will handle one card just fine and the difference between a good air cooler and this reference one will be huge in real world usage.

Regarding the availability of R9 290, the situation seems quite good at least in UK. Overclockers.co.uk has HIS, MSI and Sapphire all available.

:LOL:

I am actually quite happy and satisfied that they love to listen to their customers, here you can say they are much more customer-friendly than their competitor. Kudos for this.

Of course, if you think logically- they will still earn cash but at least don't piss customers off and more improtantly- place the products not overpriced in the sane range where they are extremely competitive.

Don't you understand this?

you must also consider the circumstances in which the 290 series came out .... or you forgot the price of the 7970 at debut (or, in a similar manner, when the 7990 came out on the market) ?

According to Guru3D's thermal imaging, the VRM temperature on both 290X and 290 is quite low under load. The heat burden in definitely on the GPU-memory area.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a no-brainer purchase if not for the noisy cooler. I've got a really quiet PC, and I don't want something like this annoying the hell out of me. I'll wait for the third-party cooling solutions to arrive at the end of the month.

Wawawacomagain? 20% is low?

In the US I can purchase an R9280X (290X is still not a purchasable product) for 300USD free shipping. How much does the 280X cost in Euros in France after tax?

Please, 20% is indeed not on the high side for the EU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659.html

The card that AMD sent to me is a stallion. Even if you get it nice and hot before running a test, bringing it down off of that 1000 MHz “wishful thinking” spec, it’s still faster than GeForce GTX 780, and oftentimes GeForce GTX Titan. But the Radeon R9 290X I bought from Newegg is a dud. It’ll drop to 727 MHz and stay there…and the reference cooler still can’t cool it fast enough. The result is that it violates its 40% fan speed ceiling as well. The craziness, then, is that my R9 290 press board is typically faster than my R9 290X retail card.

Cherry picked review 290X: 68.9 fps
Retail 290X: 57.1

Caveat emptor.

Yup, I don't think anyone is that stupid to provide a cherrypicked sample for reviews that's this far off from retail cards' performance.

DSC hows your Mantle is irrelevant and DOA going?

I wonder if everyone complaining about 290 noise levels uses stock CPU cooler. If not, why is it such an issue using after market cooler with 290? Its still gonna be cheaper and beat the crap out of 780 and Titan.

Back