What was your First Computer?

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
With all this talk of world domination and paranoia I would like to hold the world hostage to 100 Billion Dollars...
Ahh.. sorry wrong forum, (was looking for overclockers.com ;))

Anyway... back on topic, what was your first COMPUTER/Console?

First Computer

Atari 520STFM
16 colours
512K total RAM
floppy disk
TV Output only
Built in OS
circa 1988

First console

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
3MHZ CPU
256 Colours from a palette of 32768
Mode 7
SFX chip built into Star Fox brought it screaming and kicking into the world of 3D :)
circa 1991/2

First PC

Pentium II 266MHz
Intel 3D accelerator (first to use AGP I believe)
64MB RAM PC100
Jetway BX motherboard
Awe64 soundcard
2.6GB Fujitsu HDD 5400RPM DMA33
Oh and Win98 :p
circa 1998/99

C64 (the second modell)

my first Console was a NES (or Gameboy... dont know when i got it)

my first PC was an IBM PS/1 (386SX16 with stunning 2 MB ram and a 80 MB HD everything onboard; and of course only upgradeable with original IBM stuff :cry: )

First computer was an Apple ][

First console was one of the Pong boxes(the 2600 being the first I could swap games in and out of)

First PC was a 286, don't recall the clock speed but it had a 20MB HD and 2MB of RAM :)

hmm.. i think i had one of these great Pong consoles too when i was 5 or so... but i didnt like it that much

My first computer was an Apple ][c, my first console was an Atari 2600, and my first PC was something before the 286's. You know with the CGA/EGA graphics chip built in?

My first:
-Pentium 150Mhz
-Supermicro mobo
-32MB memory
-S3 & Voodoo1
-15" Samsung monitor
-USR 33.4K modem
-Soundlaster Pro
-Creative Quadspeed CDROM
-generic 3.5" floppy disc drive
-500MB HD

I almost bought a PPro 200Mhz/64MB to play GLQuake

I was probably too young to remember playing it, but my dad had one of the original Magnavox consoles. Forgot what it was called. The first real console with Pong.

Let's see, I do remember playing a lot on the Atari 400 and 800XL we had. They were compatible, but the 800 had an outboard 5.25" drive, probably only 180kb disks. I copied the code for a nibbler snake game out of a book into the Basic catridge which I suppose would be my first programming experience.

Then it was the NES, SNES, then a 486DX/33 which got me through the Doom days, then a Pentium 90 (and much later, a Voodoo card for Quake), and later my P2-266 for which I still have a the case. The 266 was upgraded to a BP6 with a single Celeron 366, and later dual 366 running at 550 each, and later yet a single P3-700 which is still running as my secondary trillian/irc box.

first borrowed zx80 , oh the joys of hand assembled z80 :-/

first owned zx81.. ( later got a bbc-b )

first console , some sort of cartridge based thing with "that bike jumping game" and "pong" , can't remember the name .
[ late 70's i think ]

first pc.. an amstard pc something . it was a 12mhz 286 with hardly any memory ( ie , i can't remember!). but i even needed a bank loan to buy it :)

-dave-

vip.jpg

RCA Cosmac VIP based on a Phillips(?) 1802 chip, equipped with 1k of SRAM, a hex keypad, and a reset switch. It came with a very simple loader built into the ROM and a simple (actually not much better than Assembly) language (CHIP8) interpreter. Unfortunately, you had to enter the interpreter (one or two hundred lines of hex) by hand and then save it on tape. Bleagh.

I soldered an extra 2k of SRAM onto the board (this was a big investment for me at the time). My skill with a soldering then was terrible and was made worse as I only had my Dad's electricians soldering iron which was NOT designed for electronics.

A long while after that I had a FAT Mac for my final year at Uni..

First Computer:
Commodore 64
The real one, not that skinny slimmed down version.

First Homebuilt:
Z80-thingy
With a "graphics card" that was optimized for size on the experiment board, with the 74xx circuits I happend to have (+ SRAM). I took the image when I found it in it's hideout. It's somewhat cannibalized for wires here.

The gfx could be reconfigured to be what I called a "real time logic analyzer", that I used to debug the 'puter when building it. :D

First PC:
8088@8MHz (in TURBO mode), 512KB mem, dual 360KB 5 1/4" disks, no HD.
It was a rather odd one. It was made by ATARI, and I've never seen or heard of anyoune else using an ATARI PC. It came with a graphical "OS-shell" called GEM, which was started on top of DOS. Then there was a set of three fantastic programs that could be run in this GUI. (A paint program, a word processor, and another program I don't remember.)
It's was rather irritating to use though, since it was so frikkin' big. It needed three 360KB diskettes. And when you don't have any HD that's quite irritating. :D (Btw, wasn't GEM available for CBM64 too?)

the company i worked for , i swear we had atari pc's , it sounds so "wrong" , and it was , they were a rubbish clone.

-dave-

w.r.t chuckie egg, yeah used to play that till 3am ;-) . later i worked with the 'a' of a'n'f who'd published it.. i think he also ported it to bbc,, but i'm not sure..

first console:
atari vcs 2600

first computer:
amstrad CPC 464
(european z80-based computer)

first PC:
a very slow PC XT(app. one third of the XT speed) , in fact it was a software emulator on my amiga 500... (enough for dos 3.3 and turbo pascal programming for school..)

first real PC: pentium 133 o/c 166

First computer - Acorn Electron (cut down BBC model B, 6502 based)

First decent computer - Amiga 1200 '030 25Mhz,MMU, FPU and additional 8Mb 70ns (wow!) RAM. Attached to a mini tower case with CD-ROM(1x speed) and a 850Mb HDD.

First console - Sega Master System 2 (Alex Kidd built in).

Add me to the list of Chuckie Egg fans. I played that game for hours on end on my trusty Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k+. I still have the odd game of CE these days with the PC version I found on the net a while back.
Edge magazine had a good article on the making of the game a few months back.

My first computer was a C64, though one friend had a Vic20, another had a TI994a, and another had a TRS80. My mom and dad wanted to get that yucky timex sinclair instead of the C64, but luckily for me...

The first console was an Intellivision.

I think my first PC was a 286 when I when to school.

Edge magazine had a good article on the making of the game a few months back.

Damn... I missed that. I used to rad Edge quite a bit but it went all down hill after Jason (King?!) left the magazine.

Do you think it would be possible for you to reprint the article with permission from Edge?!

First was a C64. Then Amiga 500 and 1200s.

The C64 kicked so much ass it was unbelievable. Especially the video chip; all internal registers were memory mapped, you could do crazy stuff the chip designers never dreamed of (like hardware bitmap scrolling, crazy amounts of sprites etc.). Was very involved in demo programming on the C64.

No so much so on the Amigas. Did a few on the 500. Everything in assembler of course.

Cheers
Gubbi

Back