AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

For an identical workload, same voltage, same fan, same everything, a chip running at 100C vs the same chip running at 70C, the latter will have to have the fan run faster/louder because natural convection is going to be lower: as the temp delta between the outside air and the heat sink increases, the air gets more turbulent and more efficient at removing heat. It's not a pure linear thing.

I wonder what the noise difference would be when everything else is the same, but temps are say 80c vs 95c? It's pretty much given that the quiet mode uses more laxed fan profile allowing the card run hotter and quieter, but how does it handle the threshold situation? More power throttling or fan spinning? As it's called "quiet mode" I'm quessing more power throttling, but the temp limit could be pretty high.

I wonder what the noise difference would be when everything else is the same, but temps are say 80c vs 95c? It's pretty much given that the quiet mode uses more laxed fan profile allowing the card run hotter and quieter, but how does it handle the threshold situation? More power throttling or fan spinning? As it's called "quiet mode" I'm quessing more power throttling, but the temp limit could be pretty high.

I believe we will know that with complete reviews, today all we get is run with some sample ( and allways the same bug in GPU-z who dont report the SP, memory size etc ).

Anyway for what i see on thoses screen.

- The 94°C was during Furmark run ... And we know all, Furmark is, well extreme for temp.
- The first stock 3Dmark run and the 3 runs in Metro2033 was made with stock fan speed ( overclocked run was made with 100% fan speed obviously ).
- On Metro2033, the core was hit 70°C ( reading gpu-z ), on the first 3Dmark fire strike stock clock, it was even less .

I dont know how was set the system, if it was run open, if it have done the test in follow or the card was idle a longtime before, but 69-70°C max on 3 runs of Metro is not bad at all ( the bench is pretty aggressive for the GPU ( way more of what you see in the game most of the time.)..

Last edited by a moderator:
http://videocardz.com/47106/amd-radeon-r9-290x-review-charts-leak
Benches from hardware.info and some other site

I believe we will know that with complete reviews, today all we get is run with some sample ( and allways the same bug in GPU-z who dont report the SP, memory size etc ).

Anyway for what i see on thoses screen.

- The 94°C was during Furmark run ... And we know all, Furmark is, well extreme for temp.
- The first stock 3Dmark run and the 3 runs in Metro2033 was made with stock fan speed ( overclocked run was made with 100% fan speed obviously ).
- On Metro2033, the core was hit 70°C ( reading gpu-z ), on the first 3Dmark fire strike stock clock, it was even less .

I dont know how was set the system, if it was run open, if it have done the test in follow or the card was idle a longtime before, but 69-70°C max on 3 runs of Metro is not bad at all ( the bench is pretty aggressive for the GPU ( way more of what you see in the game most of the time.)..

Furmark was run with 50% forced fanspeed.

The 70C "Metro screenshot" was NOT from the game, it was with 1GHz core / 150MHz mem clocks 10% GPU use, there's nothing in the shot indicating GPU load or memory clocks would have changed in any point, meaning that it's not from the runs.

As they have remove the link here's the bench ( some result look strange, so i dont know if they are true , the left colum is only low / medium quality, no AA, not really the interesting one, Bioshock provide really too high number )

Temperature and heat aren't the same thing at all, one is in Kelvins or C and the other is in watts. I have little bulbs with little metal wires at around 3000°C when current flows through them, thanksfully the building doesn't burn down when I turn them on. They put out some heat but less than a big graphics card.

500 fps in Tomb Raider :oops:
The benches look strange(Titan so much faster than gtx780 in bioshock?), but if 290x is slightly faster than Titan, considering Titans and gtx780s overvolting to 1.3-1.4Ghz enthusiast market will not be enthusiastic for a card which doesn't overclock as well(of course depending on the stock clockrate of Hawaii).

500 fps in Tomb Raider :oops:
The benches look strange(Titan so much faster than gtx780 in bioshock?), but if 290x is slightly faster than Titan, considering Titans and gtx780s overvolting to 1.3-1.4Ghz enthusiast market will not be enthusiastic for a card which doesn't overclock as well(of course depending on the stock clockrate of Hawaii).

As i was indicate some test and some numbers look effectively strange..

The first column of test on left are all at low quality, medium setting, without AA ( hence why you see the 200+fps ( not 500 lol ) in TombRaider.

For Bioshock, yeah, clearly its just impossible, not only to have Titan +50 % faster of the 780, but even for 780 they are 25fps faster of what i have seen in other review .

I suspect they have put online a non finished or non corrected page.´by error.

As for the overclocking, the 290x results we have seen so far are without increasing voltage ( there's no software compatible yet )... I have heard too under LN2, the cards was limited ( due to PWM mostly, but its not a problem for H20 and chilled water runs ), but with early sample hard to say. We will need wait a bit more for see what it bring under LN2.

As for the overclocking, the 290x results we have seen so far are without increasing voltage ( there's no software compatible yet )... I have heard too under LN2, the cards was limited ( due to PWM mostly, but its not a problem for H20 and chilled water runs ), but with early sample hard to say. We will need wait a bit more for see what it bring under LN2.

+1400mhz under LN2 w/o modding the PWM.
Surprised, in a good/unexpected way, to see the memory hitting +6ghz, 6.2ghz for almost 400GB/s.

I don’t have any shocking news today. What I have is a confirmation that in few days AMD will officially announce its new flagship — Radeon R9 290X.

Swedish etailer Inet posted a picture of a box containing few Sapphire R9 290X graphics cards.

“Check out what we got today!”

This appearance only confirms that AMD Radeon 290X will launch this week. Also most of preoderered cards should dispatch this week.

The R9 290X will compete with GeForce GTX 780, but after numerous leaks you should already know that this is not really fair fight. For that reason NVIDIA decided to replace GTX 780 with GTX 780 Ti, supposedly at the same price. This way R9 290X will actually compete with 780 Ti, whereas R9 290 will fight against GTX 780. In few weeks there will be a lot of movement in high-end segment. Hopefully some cards will get cheaper in the process.

Have you preordered R9 290X? Maybe one of these cards is yours.

Ty Rich Guy

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 - 4GB GDDR5 = 4290 Danish Kroner = 575 Euro.

Sapphire Radeon R9 290X - 4GB GDDR5 (non BF4) = 5490 Danish Kroner = 736 Euro.

Are those prices competitive with nVidia's offerings?

At a first glance, they seem a bit ridiculous to me... One could get a pair of R9 280X for less than a R9 290 and get superior performance than a 290X. Heck, I bet even a crossfire of those ~200€ HD7950 Boost we're seeing around could go over the 290 for 275€ less..

I was kinda hoping to see the R9 290 pushing the prices for the high-end market down in 2014, but I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, that pricing isn't great. If frame pacing continues to improve, I may opt for a second 7970-uber-clocked edition.

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 - 4GB GDDR5 = 4290 Danish Kroner = 575 Euro.

Sapphire Radeon R9 290X - 4GB GDDR5 (non BF4) = 5490 Danish Kroner = 736 Euro.

To me that looks like pre-order price gouging. The official price still isn't released, so anyone who has a price up doesn't really know what it is. If they did, then they aren't allowed to show it due to NDA.

The retailers who do know current pricing aren't saying anything, except that AMD could change prices right up to the last day.

EKWB apparently slipped out the release date, by launching R9 290X full-cover waterblocks and saying they'll start shipping 25th October once the embargo on the video card ends

To me that looks like pre-order price gouging. The official price still isn't released, so anyone who has a price up doesn't really know what it is. If they did, then they aren't allowed to show it due to NDA.

The retailers who do know current pricing aren't saying anything, except that AMD could change prices right up to the last day.

This is my hope too. You could get a GTX 780 OC for nearly the same as a 290 vanilla, so let us just hope that those prices are not for real.

EKWB apparently slipped out the release date, by launching R9 290X full-cover waterblocks and saying they'll start shipping 25th October once the embargo on the video card ends

Oh, I think that the release date has been given for a while now. Either 24th or 25th October.

Back