AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

The key will be if users can take control/override quiet and uber modes altogether and overclock the card the traditional way disregarding noise and temperature considerations.
Noise, yes. Temperature, no.

Sushi Warrior said:
290X almost never would sit at base state (barring terrible throttling or something). Last clocks I saw were ~960-980 on warmup and ~920 once at thermal throttle. Give it some extra fan speed (default is 34%) and it should always stay at 960-980. Give it some extra power budget and it should sit at 1000-1070 (max boost bin, might not stay there even with a giant power budget though. Stock voltages are very high for top DPM state, to accommodate for bad yield chips).

Remember that DPM states don't behave like a base/boost, it smoothly transitions inbetween states very rapidly and has the ability to scale anywhere between 300-1070, it's unlikely it would decide on 800MHz.

Edit: to above, Hawaii uses DPM states which have different voltages and clock speeds for each bin, and it decides what bin to used based on die activity, measured temperature, predicted temperature, current on rails, predicted current, VDDCI/memory power consumption, etc. to hit exactly max spec power usage (208w by default).

Last edited by a moderator:
WRT to uber vs quiet, perhaps they are testing the card on a open air test bench, where the plentiful cool air is enough to stop the card from throttling, but stick it into a smaller case and the difference between uber and quiet modes should be much bigger.

At least Muropaketti tests in closed case so our benches should show whether that's the case or not

Seriously, i ask me why AMD will do a slide showing you you will have less performance with "Uber mode " ( peoples have understand it as an overclocked bios ), vs "quiet Mode".. If a review do this slide and it was the case, i can understand it, but why AMD will show this, and why the slide only show the performance for bioshock, when there's 10 games in this slides ..... "

Its like if Nvidia was coming with Turbo3.0, showing their GPU with it, is providing less performance lol. .. If the slide is official, its because it have a different purpose in the presentation, if the slide is modified, thats another story..

Noise, yes. Temperature, no.
Wait so they are autoclocking like Nvidia now? I can't simply pick a clock speed, set the fan to whatever speed I want and test for stability like I could in the past?

Edit: Removed voltage since that requires an overclocking utility and since there are none I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Didn't realise that. I guess 80-85C is likely during intensive gaming and normal fan speeds, which is also pretty decent for a reference cooler.

What is not said is that the fan speed was set at 100% (not always, for example in Furmark it obviously was not). Just follow the link and look at the original pictures.

On the overclocked benchmark, but he have run before 3Dmark and then metro without 100% fan speed ( at least it seems )

Why are people fascinated by the ASIC temps? It is a fairly meaningless number.

It's one of the factors that determine how loud the cooling system is going to be.. how likely the fan is eventually going to reach airplane turbine levels.

That and I guess few people welcome the idea of having a chip running at 100 ºC in their desktops.

It's one of the factors that determine how loud the cooling system is going to be.. how likely the fan is eventually going to reach airplane turbine levels. That and I guess few people welcome the idea of having a chip running at 100 ºC in their desktops.
For an identical workload, same voltage, same fan, same everything, a chip running at 100C vs the same chip running at 70C, the latter will have to have the fan run faster/louder because natural convection is going to be lower: as the temp delta between the outside air and the heat sink increases, the air gets more turbulent and more efficient at removing heat. It's not a pure linear thing.

It's one of the factors that determine how loud the cooling system is going to be.. how likely the fan is eventually going to reach airplane turbine levels.
Wrong assumption. To put Sileng_Guy's answer another way - the cooler that is cooling an ASIC to 70C could be quieter cooling the same ASIC as any temperature higher than that.

That and I guess few people welcome the idea of having a chip running at 100 ºC in their desktops.
The VRM's are usually as hot, if not hotter.

At least Muropaketti tests in closed case so our benches should show whether that's the case or not

also depends on airflow within case, etc. It could be you don't hit margin limits in normal gaming cases until you have two in xfire plus a decent thermal load on the CPU.

The only reason to care about Tj is device longevity and at 100ºC Tj, the device already has a functional life longer than its useful life. A 100ºC Tj device should have a function life at 10+ years worst case. The device will be obsolete well before then.

Back