AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

very strange..

Not at all. It seems that Quiet Mode already hits maximum clocks, possibly due to short benchmark loads and/or high temp target.

For example, benchmark a GTX 780 with stock cooling at 94°C temp target vs a 780 with watercooling with 80°C temp target. They will perform virtually the same. Yet a GTX 780 with stock cooling with 80°C temp target will perform worse.

AMD_Radeon_R9_290X_Preview_First_Look_4K_Ultra_HD_Bioshock_Infinite-pcgh.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-R...7/Tests/AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-Benchmark-1093119/

Is AMD only allowing previews of 4k numbers because that's 290x's best showing or because 4k is going to be an integral part of a new marketing drive? Given the only decent 4k monitor is 3,500USD it may be a bit premature...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely the former.

They are authorizing the release of positive results before any of the negative can be published. Scott at TechReport slammed AMD for doing this a while back with Trinity.
AMD attempts to shape review content with staged release of info

Im not sure using 4K results " only " is far for the best idea you can have, in many games, the difference in fps will be minimal ( look the difference between Bioshock results 4K at very high, medium and Ultra quality, its here it is interessant to see the fps difference continue to increase ( 2-3fps at ultra setting, 7fps at veryhigh quality ). There's a moment you end with 2 to 4fps difference, at 28fps..

Its allways far to be impressive ( i think the only way will be to get the card x at 30fps and the second at 50fps at 4K ). They could have take the only game at 2560x1600 where the card is largely beaten their opponnent.

I will better like to know at 28fps if one is playable and not the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's called "default" :) They've been putting some very hefty coolers on their flagship cards for a few generations now - since the 580.

I have a standard GTX580 in my desktop and it's not silent at all when I'm playing games.
The GTX660 Ti in my HTPC is more silent but it doesn't use standard cooling.

As I explained before, the silent mode should be different than just using a more efficient cooling setup, from what I see in some reviews.

Is AMD only allowing previews of 4k numbers because that's 290x's best showing or because 4k is going to be an integral part of a new marketing drive? Given the only decent 4k monitor is 3,500USD it may be a bit premature...

4K being the 290x's best showing is exactly what I was thinking. Plus at that huge res the 3gb frame buffer of the 780 *might* be becoming a bottleneck at 4k resolution. Plus the 64 pipes and 320GB/s bandwidth on the 290x might be able to flex its muscle there.

4K res IMO is a pipe dream at this point. It's taking me two cards right now to get "good", and "fluid" fps on my 120hz overclocked Korean IPS 1440p monitor in the most demanding titles. I am in no hurry to jump to sluggish performing 3840x2160 graphics at 30-60hz.

Weren't we supposed to be getting R9 290 (p)reviews right now?

4K res IMO is a pipe dream at this point. It's taking me two cards right now to get "good", and "fluid" fps on my 120hz overclocked Korean IPS 1440p monitor in the most demanding titles. I am in no hurry to jump to sluggish performing 3840x2160 graphics at 30-60hz.

Well I take 4K 30-60hz over 1440p 120hz any day and imo it's the best thing that's happened in a long time. It allows one to game with a huge perceived screen size, that's what I'm after. It's a bit challenging to achieve at the moment, but things are changing quickly.

Apparently there are plenty of people out there putting 3 Titans in a single PC. They sound like 8MP gamers if ever there were any. And in the lifetime of their 8MP monitor they'll prolly spend more on 3 generations of 3 ultra-enthusiast cards to drive it than on the monitor.

Actually, the PC would cost the same as the monitor... Forget the bit about generations of cards :p

I already started building my 4K rig. I ordered a new Caselabs case and two radiators today. While I wait for the 65" 4K tv's to drop a bit more in price I'll slowly build the rig ready to the point where it's only missing the CPU+GPUs and once I have the TV, I'll look how much performance I need and what is the best option to achieve it and just go for it. I'm barely holding myself together here :)

I honestly don't understand the 4K hype. The performance hit is extreme, the benefit (compared to other investments in graphics technology like physics, lighting, geometry) is meager at best.

The benefit is basically being able to view four times larger screen at the same distance (vs 1080p). It's a game changer imo. The boost in immersion should be great. I'm planning on sitting about 5-6 feet away from the 65" screen.

edit: Also the next gen consoles are pretty much going to dictate the graphics level, you can then use the brute force of a PC to boost the res.

Back