AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

The beta is not working well at all , on Windows 8 it's very smooth, on 7 however it's so bad that it took 2 updates to get it working at an acceptable level and still it's not there yet.

For what i know the beta is not based on the last version.... looking the time they have left, i think we will see it running normally only on the release ( i think the beta end today, not sure ). Well there's something with BF series i have allways do, its waiting one week after the release, ( in general it is allways a real pain the fist week, punkbuster problem, connection problem, authentifaction fail etc. ).

Do you seriously believe people put together slide decks (and programmer's manuals) by accident, and that nobody validates the major items (yes, an NDA lift date tends to be major).
There is always the concept of a "placeholder"...

But for the main slide deck from a few pages back (which btw is obviously sent out and not just photographed from a presentation) you've learned not to put the nda date on the individual slides :)

Heads up, those pics won't appear in my Firefox.

But they appear in my IE10...

According to the information we received from manufacturer AMD has postponed the launch of the Radeon R9 290X.
It’s not October 15th
Long story short it is not October 15th and the final date has not been disclosed yet. Of course I’m talking about the embargo on the reviews, I’m not sure how is this going to work with so many cards listed at etailer’s websites. You will probably be able to preoder them, but you also will have to wait for the delivery.

So when?
You’ve all seen previous embargo date which has been changed to an unknown date. AMD is yet to decide when the R9 290 series will be announced. It is said that Battlefield 4 launch date is now being discussed. From what I’ve learned AMD did not yet deliver the samples to all major reviewing partners. The rumor has it that AMD has problems delivering units, not only to reviewers but also to etailers offering Battlefield 4 bundle (that would explain why Newegg has not yet started its preoder).

Why delay it?
Other theory is that AMD wants to see what NVIDIA will launch in few days. Although no information has been confirmed yet, I heard that a Ti model is being prepared, probably GTX 770 Ti with 1920 CUDA cores, which would be a gap filler between GTX 770 and GTX 780. There are also rumors about a new TITAN with full GK110 enabled. So which card is NVIDIA going to show (if any?). AMD wants to know that too, so this could’ve been another reason for the postponed launch.

I’m far from making assumptions but this launch is getting little frustrating to follow. We all know how the cards look, we all know the specs. What we don’t know is how do both cards perform and how much will they cost. AMD could, or even should, at least allow reviewers to release the information about the new Hawaii architecture, leaving performance numbers for later date.
http://videocardz.com/46729/amd-radeon-r9-290-series-launch-postponed

UPDATE

After this update I will no longer post anything about the launch date of R9 290X (I’m tired of receiving conflicting information).

Fresh news have just arrived. The launch is probably set for October 18th. We couldn’t confirm the launch date since distributors, manufacturers and reviewers have all slightly different information. So it’s either this date or a date closer to BF4 launch. Take it as you will.
http://videocardz.com/46741/radeon-r9-290x-pictured-close

8gXzWw0.jpg

gozvELA.jpg

Clear shot of the memory module in that link. SK Hynix H5GQ2H24AFR-R0 that goes up to 6 Ghz at 1.5V. Might have decent memory overclocking potential if the memory controller is up to the task.

These chips support a 5Gbps/1.35V mode, which is probably used on 290 cards. So you need the ability to increase Vmem, to get higher clocks. The 270X uses 1.55V for 5.4Gbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back