AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Some errors/misconceptions in that wcctech article, but where is this coming from?
but other developers such as Infinity Ward, the creators of the upcoming Call of Duty: Ghosts have also hopped aboard to support Mantle API from AMD and feature it in their game.

Some errors/misconceptions in that wcctech article, but where is this coming from?

We'll have to support #Mantle now; wish it was just #OpenGL extensions though! Maybe someone will lightly wrap D3D or GL around it for us?

— Wade Brainerd (@wadetb) September 26, 2013

Big backlash over high pricing in the UK forums, if the rumours are to be believed. At lot of people are out at £500 for the 290, let along the 290X. I hope it's still AMD playing mind games with Nvidia.

Big backlash over high pricing in the UK forums, if the rumours are to be believed. At lot of people are out at £500 for the 290, let along the 290X. I hope it's still AMD playing mind games with Nvidia.

Hmmm... The R9 290 vanilla looks mighty tasty, but the price should be around 449 Euro IMO. I would prefer 399 Euro, but it might be too strong a performer to land there.

From a tweet from him, i m sure you can find it some pages ago when mantle have been shown.. or in the Mantle thread. ( note his words was not exactly that ).

I see no evidence to suggest there are more than 2 levels so far with volcanic islands referring not to an IP level but rather to the Rx 2xx family.

I'm currently expecting R9 290x to be identical IP wise to Bonaire however there are probably a few more HSA enhancements to Bonaire of which we're not yet aware which will hopefully be detailed with the 290x launch.

For what its worth it sounds like both consoles also share the 290x IP just with the audio block stripped out or even just disabled.

So if everything is GCN 1.1 : everything is the same, ACEs, Geometry Engine, Raster, CUs, ROPs. Bonaire simply adds a DSP, but that's side stuff like the Video engine. Whatever changes like display outputs etc. has no bearing on the GCN.

With HSA you'd expect there's some front-end and I/O stuff, but we now learn "GCN 1.1" sets the stage re. the shader stuff. I wonder if Bonaire is a stealth HSA GPU, or if Hawaii, Kaveri goes that small extra step.

Sweeet! So AMD have doubled setup rate and ROP performance while only increasing CU count by around 40%. So perhaps they are expecting games to be less shader/fetch bound this generation compared to other parts of the GPU thanks to the relatively low CU ratio on both next gen consoles.
I doubt that games are really expected to be less shader bound this generation.
Rather, Tahiti was always criticized by some (including me) as having "too much" shader capacity and bandwidth compared to the frontend (and ROPs to go along with it). Well for gaming use that is. And this simply gets the ratios back into the more balanced cagetory. You'll notice that the ratios are similar to Pitcairn now (in fact Pitcairn still has slightly more frontend/ROP capacity compared to ALUs, but the top end chip serving other markets as well is certainly expected to have the highest ALU ratio).
That said, it doesn't prove AMD really did increase frontend/ROPs because it figured out too that Tahiti didn't have enough :). SOME increase definitely was required if Hawaii were to be a half-decent efficient gaming chip (only increasing CUs would have done next to nothing for gaming performance), but it is possible doubling that stuff was easier than to go with "odd" numbers (triple frontend, 48 ROPs).

Hmmm... The R9 290 vanilla looks mighty tasty, but the price should be around 449 Euro IMO. I would prefer 399 Euro, but it might be too strong a performer to land there.

Currently there's a massive gap between 280X (for which we have prices) and 290 (for which we have leaked pricing) of about £250+. And there's not even a Never Settle games bundle!

Thank you very much Redstrat for the link... ( I put back the image like that it will be more easy to discuss them )

8 Ace's and they moved the rasterizer and gemotry in the SM .. , it seems each geometry processor have been too moved from the front end to the SM. ( i have say they have completely redesign the front end )

I have not get the time to analyze it ( too much work here )

Last edited by a moderator:
With that brutal pixel fill rate, the Hawaii graphics cards look like the perfect cards to render games at huge resolutions and then use downsample to fit it into a mortal's 1080p monitor/TV.

If only that was natively supported in the drivers... Or at least if only the new driver iterations didn't break the 3rd party apps that are allowing it..

It would be so cool if that happened. You heard that AMD? Dave?

+99

With that brutal pixel fill rate, the Hawaii graphics cards look like the perfect cards to render games at huge resolutions and then use downsample to fit it into a mortal's 1080p monitor/TV.

If only that was natively supported in the drivers... Or at least if only the new driver iterations didn't break the 3rd party apps that are allowing it..

It would be so cool if that happened. You heard that AMD? Dave?

I really hope they implement these and other IQ features, more flexible SGSSSAA for example.

Back