AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

They had to lower the clock to 800MHz from 7970. Interesting. Modern high end GPUs are really pushing up against thermal barriers. Or perhaps, with the powertune, they intend to sell the low leakage parts only as OC cards.

The rumored 1050 mhz clock X 2816 shaders would have been 5.9 teraflops! Since they said "over 5" rather than "nearly 6" that seemed odd...

800-1000mhz would be 4.5-5.6 TF...

800 seems too low to boost all the way to 1K. Too much spread.

800 to 1000mhz is a bit too much.. 100mhz for turbo is ok, but 200mhz...

Like the spec are under NDA, im not sure this site have really push the full spec for pre order.

I think it's rumored spec compilation, they don't have real product or confirmed info right now..
800 and 1000 it looks more like two different maximum clocks in two different BIOS.

BF4 pre-order bundle with card specs: http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hard...bundle_limited_edition__battlefield_4_premium

Specifikationer:
• GPU Codename - Hawaii
• GPU Process - 28nm
• Stream Processors - 2816
• TMUs - 176
• ROPs - 44
• Base Clock - 800 MHz
• Turbo Clock - 1000 MHz
• VRAM - 4GB GDDR5
• Memory Bus - 512-Bit
• Memory Clock - 1250 MHz (5GHz Effective)
• Memory Bandwidth - 320 GBps
• Power Configuration - 8+6 Pin
• PCB VRM - 5+1+1
• Die Size - 424mm2
• Transistors - 6 billion
• 3D Technology - DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.3 and Mantle
• Audio Technology - AMD TrueAudio

As usual price marked up all to hell and obviously there's still a chance the specs might be wrong.

7299 kr is near 900 Euros?.

It's probably all that free BF4 stuff you're going to end up paying for.:oops:

As the Titan, these cards exist to take the money from the lunatic fringe consumerism addicts.
Both are strongly thermally limited and their value will drop through the floor the instant 20nm products are out the door (hell, the instant 20nm products are even rumoured). That the new shiny commands a premium is the way of the world. If you react against it, you simply indicate that you do not belong to the (small) target demographic.

their value will drop through the floor the instant 20nm products are out the door
Maybe it won't be that simple. 20 nm will be very expensive and it's price per transistor will be quite close to 28nm GPUs. I wouldn't expect any significant price/performance boost.

As the Titan, these cards exist to take the money from the lunatic fringe consumerism addicts.
Both are strongly thermally limited and their value will drop through the floor the instant 20nm products are out the door (hell, the instant 20nm products are even rumoured). That the new shiny commands a premium is the way of the world. If you react against it, you simply indicate that you do not belong to the (small) target demographic.

I have to agree with this. AMD has been taking it's early customers for a "ride" with the recent launches only to drop the prices quite soon. I do want this 290X quite badly though :) However I went ahead and purchased a 7970 Asus Matrix Platinum for 315€ and I expect it will serve me fine until either these drop in price or 20nm cards come out. I only have one 1080p screen.

I'll be getting 3 good games now and hopefully by my next purchase the game lineup has refreshed :)

Maybe it won't be that simple. 20 nm will be very expensive and it's price per transistor will be quite close to 28nm GPUs. I wouldn't expect any significant price/performance boost.

The Titan and Hawaii won't be the top cards anymore. That will be enough to drop their value tremendously. What prices did the last top-end cards of the previous lithographic generation command (the HD6970 and the GTX580) when the new generation came around?

Market economics at work. The R290x will have its time in the sun.

7299 kr is near 900 Euros?.

It's "only" 750€ at the danish version of the site. For a context cheapest Titan the same place is ~900€ (without bf4+bf4premium of course).
Also:
Price, image, product description and release date are preliminary and subject to change
And for instance the clocks are probably more speculation than facts..

Titan and 290X could well be fast enough that neither company's first 20nm card beats it. Both Nvidia and AMD might not be finished on 28nm yet as well. Nvidia could top Titan with 28nm Maxwell and AMD still has area left over.

20nm graphics are about a year off anyway I'd say.

It's "only" 750€ at the danish version of the site. For a context cheapest Titan the same place is ~900€ (without bf4+bf4premium of course).
Also:

And for instance the clocks are probably more speculation than facts..

Exactly, they actually write this:
framförallt klockfrekvenserna är inte 100 % bekräftade ännu

... that the clock speeds are not confirmed 100% yet.

OCUK have started taking deposits/preorders on the R9-290X Battlefield pack. £99 deposit, rest payable some time before the end of October once AMD actually set a price and have the cards ready to ship. OCUK have said the deposit is refundable if you change your mind once you get to see the full price/spec and that it will be somewhere between £400 and £600.

Is it me, or has the world gone a bit mad for the 290X?

I think I'd like a 290x, but I'm going to wait until next year to buy it at the minimum. If frame pacing is actually "fixed" (meh), I may even consider getting a pair of 'lesser' cards instead.

Driving my 2560x1440 monitor requires enough testicular fortitude that a single 7970OC just isn't cutting it.

800 to 1000mhz is a bit too much.. 100mhz for turbo is ok, but 200mhz...

Like the spec are under NDA, im not sure this site have really push the full spec for pre order.

Maybe AMD is being more up front than NV about their boost range. 800MHz base speed up to a top 1000MHz.

Titan for example has a 837MHz base speed and "advertised" 876MHz boost speed. All titans can hit 992MHz top boost bins if temps and power targets are below. So perhaps AMD is taking a deterministic approach similar to NV but being more up front and listing an "entire" boost range unlike what NV does....

Radeon R9 290X hits Newegg.com at US $729.99

Radeon R9 290X hits Newegg.com at US $729.99

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32716-radeon-r9-290x-hits-neweggcom-at-us-$72999

Newegg.com has finally went live with the reference Radeon R9 290X from MSI that is priced at US $729.99. Although it is not "officially" listed but rather hidden in the HTML code, the price of US $729.99 suggest that the official price will most probably be set at US $699.99.

Since Newegg.com usually adds anywhere between US $10 and $30 to the suggested retail price it is anyone best guess that AMD intends to price the R9 290X at US $699.99. Newegg.com most likely wanted to keep the price hidden until last minute but HTML code shows that it will be set at US $729.99.

Bear in mind that AMD still can easily change the price at any time before the official launch and while many hoped for a $599.99 price tag, it looks like that AMD wants just a "tad" more money.

This price puts the R9 290X in a rather akward position as it might end up costing $50 more than the GTX 780. While the GTX Titan is still priced way above it at US $999.99 we still do not have a clear performance numbers to make the final judgement. Early details suggest that it will be faster than the GTX 780 but we honestly hoped that AMD might put a lot more pressure on Nvidia by pricing it below or at least at the same level as the GTX 780.

Of course, we still need to see some official reviews and prices, so we just have to wait a bit longer.
Radeon R9 290X Priced at $729.99 on Newegg.com

http://www.techpowerup.com/191909/radeon-r9-290x-priced-at-729-99-on-newegg-com.html

Probably the BF4 edition as posted above. Hopefully the 290x comes in at 649.99$ or lower though I'm not gonna hold my breath...

Back