AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

They weren't really specific about any of specs... bandwidth, number of transistors, floating point, geometry performance. Every single piece of info said "more than" or "over" or "greater than"

At least a few of those figures are probably pretty close, but it looks more like they're just being tight lipped than anything else.

When amds had the world's fastest gpu they always announced it before the cards release. E. G 5870 they said it, 7970 they said it. And when they had a dual card that's was close to to being the fastest, they said it as well. This time they mentioned only amds fastest. Particularly because they didn't brag about performance but the sound chip and also mentioned you can pre-order October 3. I think there's a good chance we will have to take concessions on predicting Hawaii s performance.

As someone else mentioned. For 4 billion triangles they need 1ghz.

At 1ghz 2816 cores produces 5.636 tf. That's substantially more than 5tf. Amds was specific enough to mention 3.79 tf for tahiti in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Rafa Koduri presentation he mentioned that AMD was the first to go pass the 1,2,3, and 4 TF barrier which were the HD 4870 (1.2TF), HD 5870 (2.7TF), HD 7970 (3.7TF), and HD 7970 Ghz (4.1TF) so there's quite a bit of variability in the use of over.

When amds had the world's fastest gpu they always announced it before the cards release. E. G 5870 they said it, 7970 they said it. And when they had a dual card that's was close to to being the fastest, they said it as well. This time they mentioned only amds fastest. Particularly because they didn't brag about performance but the sound chip and also mentioned you can pre-order October 3. I think there's a good chance we will have to take concessions on predicting Hawaii s performance.

At 1ghz 2816 cores produces 5.636 tf. That's substantially more than 5tf. Amds was specific enough to mention 3.79 tf for tahiti in the past.

They pretty clearly said Hawaii was the fastest GPU, not AMD's fastest. Plus, it would behoove them to be cautious, since NVIDIA might come up with a Titan Ultra between now and the 290X's launch.

They pretty clearly said Hawaii was the fastest GPU, not AMD's fastest. Plus, it would behoove them to be cautious, since NVIDIA might come up with a Titan Ultra between now and the 290X's launch.
I do not see this happening until weeks after the 290X launches at the earliest.
That's if it even happens at all(doubtful).

Kyle from [H] posted about AMD saying they have something faster than anything from NVidia or whatever.

Kyle from [H} posted about AMD saying they have something faster than anything from NVidia or whatever.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1782602

1 AMD's flops = 2 NV's flops :LOL: In many gpgpu-benchmarks direct-compute and open-cl 7970GHz faster than GTX Titan. :rolleyes:

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X1.jpg
AMD-Radeon-R9-290X1-635x357.jpg

Compare this with

When AMD has the worlds fastest, they say it.

And in addition, when they mention mention teraflops they are usually pretty specific.

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X1-635x357.jpg

I don't know about DC , didn't pay attention for performance numbers there, I vaguely remember the difference not being significantly in favor of anyone .. however OpenCL is hobbled down intentianally in NVIDIA's drivers , to the point that low end AMD cards often beat large NVIDIA chips in any OpenCL application.

And in this case, they said it too.

I will take slide decks as better evidence than something off the record that can be backtracked.

Plus it would have been made the presentation much better for a hardware unveil to have numbers to back it up. The 290x slide was underwhelming.

Prior to mantle part, the unveiling of the cards was recieved as quite boring and unexciting.

AMD if they had the worlds fastest they would have mentioned in the slide as the card unveiling was underwhelming. They even have said it when the claims can be highly contested.

I will take slide decks as better evidence than something off the record that can be backtracked.

Plus it would have been made the presentation much better for a hardware unveil to have numbers to back it up. The 290x slide was underwhelming.

Prior to mantle part, the unveiling of the cards was recieved as quite boring and unexciting.

AMD if they had the worlds fastest they would have mentioned in the slide as the card unveiling was underwhelming. They even have said it when the claims can be highly contested.

Leaked benchmarks showed that the 290X was faster, and AMD told Kyle they were faster. The smart money is on the 290X being faster. But hey, if you're able to convince yourself otherwise based on how a few slides are worded, go for it. Whatever helps you sleep at night :LOL:

Back