AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

So Mantle just flat out replaces DirectX in BF4? That surely has to lead to humungous performance gains.

Then in typical AMD fashion they manage to steal a draw from the jaws of victory by making us wait for a patch 2 months after the game releases. This couldn't have been sped up for the game launch AMD, really?

Do you know when new Radeon series comes out? Because me, journalist and Internet dont. Early December release for R7-R9 is possible.

Plus, its better to release finished API than broken mess that will cause shitstorm of bad impressinos.

Do you know when new Radeon series comes out? Because me, journalist and Internet dont. Early December release for R7-R9 is possible.

Plus, its better to release finished API than broken mess that will cause shitstorm of bad impressinos.

Preorder Bf4 with 290 3 of october.
hard to imagine a december release of cards then.

I guess that the blurred top of the R9 290X in Firestrike means the they are still tuning drivers for better performance. Hopefully that means an updated GPU-architecture, but who knows whats going on:

13801278018dqw3Obvjp_1_1.jpg

Raja Koduri did say the architecture was "enhanced". Hopefully, that's not just the 4 triangles/clock plus TrueAudio.

And when is AMD suppossed to talk about the architecture?. Shouldn´t have they done it yesterday?.

Maybe they gave some information under embargo to the journalists who were there, I don't know. In any case I doubt we'll get anything before the actual launch, mid-October.

Maybe they gave some information under embargo to the journalists who were there, I don't know. In any case I doubt we'll get anything before the actual launch, mid-October.

I didn't quite understand whether the special Battlefield 4 pre-order on October 3th was with the R9 290X, but if it is, we should surely know more about the card by then? At least the price! :devilish:

I didn't quite understand whether the special Battlefield 4 pre-order on October 3th was with the R9 290X, but if it is, we should surely know more about the card by then? At least the price! :devilish:

And the performance i supposse...Not many people are going to preorder without knowing how it performs. I think reviewers went back home without a card for testing so, for that date we are in a hurry.

I guess that the blurred top of the R9 290X in Firestrike means the they are still tuning drivers for better performance. Hopefully that means an updated GPU-architecture, but who knows whats going on:

13801278018dqw3Obvjp_1_1.jpg

OR I'm willing to bet AMD stupidly do their in-house runs with stuff like A10-6800 or FX-8350 tops; perhaps if real benchmark was done on Core i7 4770K the score might indeed be over 8K in firestrike.

Edit: The worst case scenario if R9 290X matches GTX780 in firestrike, Titan is not very far from reach, that said, in real world benchmarks if it trade blows with Titan in some games and cost $600 dollars it will put Titan to shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It's >1Ghz at stock, that's more or less a given from the >4G tris/sec slide. (or come up with a good explanation of them doing 5 or 6 triangles/clock, instead of the doubling from 2 to 4 ;) )

If that's the case, then we can give up on 2,816 shaders(which is possible because it hasn't been confirmed).

To give 5 TF, they need exactly 2500 cores at 1 ghz.

If it's over 5 Teraflops it's likely just barely over or they would have mentions 5.5 or 5.6 to. 2560 *2 * 1000mhz = 5.12tfs

They weren't really specific about any of specs... bandwidth, number of transistors, floating point, geometry performance. Every single piece of info said "more than" or "over" or "greater than"

At least a few of those figures are probably pretty close, but it looks more like they're just being tight lipped than anything else.

Back