AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Aesthetically, this is not pleasing at all. Hopefully that performance is as good as we're all expecting.
Frankly my dear, once its in my case as long as it stays quiet & not too hot I just don't give a damn what it looks like.

It still puzzle my mind whether this benchmarks is based on 2,816 stream or NOT?

Benchmark-AMD-Hawaii-R9-290X-GPU-Faster-that-GeForce-GTX-Titan-NVIDIA-Card-385223-3.jpg

It still puzzle my mind whether this benchmarks is based on 2,816 stream or NOT?

Benchmark-AMD-Hawaii-R9-290X-GPU-Faster-that-GeForce-GTX-Titan-NVIDIA-Card-385223-3.jpg

Could be fake as I suggested earlier. AMD when they had the card that was the top GPU they bragged it was the worlds fastest or most powerful on their power point slides.

They did this with the 7970, the 5870, the 6990 and strangely enough the 7990.

This time AMD only mentioned AMD's fastest GPU ever and the implied firestrike score of 8000. Which would not match up with thats charts performance.

This was the time to announce the performance of the 290x considering they are expecting people to preorder it in a week. AND they need a real single GPU chip to compete against gk110 more than the rest of Nvidia lineup as they are competitive with the rest. Particularly if much of the chips are rebadges, they really needed to show more about Hawaii xt, considering the presentation was in Hawaii, the rest of the lineup seemed ho-hum and having the worlds fastest GPU would have made that presentation a lot more meaningful. They spend a lot of money flying all these journalists over and really needed to make more buzz than they did.

That embedded DSP sound chip is bound to take up some room as well as the double the geometry engine and the 512bit bus.

That VP mentioning efficiency over performance was another hint.

So all this considered including this presentation, there is way more evidence for this cards to be a more modest improvement over Tahiti(lack of performance figures[the only one given by AMD so far is an 8000 firestrike score], confirmed die size, confirmed specs) , then the leaked bench from that site which could be vary well be fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
That embedded DSP sound chip is bound to take up some room as well as the double the geometry engine and the 512bit bus.

Let say if performance an par with GTX780 and a bit slower than Titan, then why? AMD needed 512bit bus for? similar with Radeon 2900XT back in a day that 512bit bus was overkill for R600 but when the refresh came out Radeon 3870 with ONLY 256bit bus and it was good enough and cheaper for ATI/AMD.

Let say if performance an par with GTX780 and a bit slower than Titan, then why? AMD needed 512bit bus for? similar with Radeon 2900XT back in a day that 512bit bus was overkill for R600 but when the refresh came out Radeon 3870 with ONLY 256bit bus and it was good enough and cheaper for ATI/AMD.

For how much performance the 7970 has, a 384bit bus seems like overkill too a bit. Perhaps AMD's architecture needs it more.

One thing I notice is that the 7970 ghz edition has a teraflop performance of 4.3 TF, hawaii xt only has 5 TF or 16% more. To get those numbers from the leaks, AMD would have needed to huge increase to their efficiency.

If this thing only get 900 more points in firestrike compared to a ghz edition, this doesn't really show a huge increase in efficiency.

So Mantle just flat out replaces DirectX in BF4? That surely has to lead to humungous performance gains.

Then in typical AMD fashion they manage to steal a draw from the jaws of victory by making us wait for a patch 2 months after the game releases. This couldn't have been sped up for the game launch AMD, really?

One thing I notice is that the 7970 ghz edition has a teraflop performance of 4.3 TF, hawaii xt only has 5 TF or 16% more. To get those numbers from the leaks, AMD would have needed to huge increase to their efficiency.

If this thing only get 900 more points in firestrike compared to a ghz edition, this doesn't really show a huge increase in efficiency.

Geforce Titan has 4.5 TF, I just have to wait for actual real benchmarks for hawaii xt in order to draw any conclusion.

Frankly my dear, once its in my case as long as it stays quiet & not too hot I just don't give a damn what it looks like.

Personally, i never use any original cooler, all my gpu/cpu are watercooled since a good decade.

For how much performance the 7970 has, a 384bit bus seems like overkill too a bit. Perhaps AMD's architecture needs it more.

Look like they was not really wanted to bring full performance number.. 5+Tflops... if the gpu have 2816SP we can assume it pass the 5.5Tflops at 1Ghz . So this will depend on the clock speed and turbo..
We dont have DP number anyway.

As for 512bit bus, i can imagine there's different question, and choice there: Hawai will make his road on professional sku, so 512bit bus was maybe needed for pass 12GB. we dont have much technical info on it.

By AMD's numbers, R290x is about 20% faster than the R280x which we can probably assume the 7970ghz. Not really the titan killer that the "leaks" showed. It should trade blows with the 780 given that.

By AMD's numbers, R290x is about 20% faster than the R280x which we can probably assume the 7970ghz. Not really the titan killer that the "leaks" showed. It should trade blows with the 780 given that.

To me, the r280x is more likely a regular 7970. The 7970 ghz needs an open air cooler to function normally without sounding like a banshee. And its seems like AMD wants to keep blower fans on everything except their low end cards.

Looking at the 6800 score, its closer to a regular 7970 as well.

If I were AMD and rebadging and reusing the same chip. I would make a new cheaper reference PCB of the 7970 board to make the 300 dollar price point more profitable. The standard 7970 PCB is kind of beefy for a 300 dollar card and really blows out the standard gtx 680 pcb. It makes sense on a 400 dollar plus card but not so much a 300 dollar one. I would also lower to default voltage to allow for a better power consumption and to allow for a smaller cheaper cooler to be added on. It might lose some overclocking room but then again, its only a 300 dollar card.

I'm doing wait and see.
It would be a pain anyway to try matching every new announced reference to any existing, old or recent GPU (what's an R5, an R7 260 or is it 250, an R9 270X, do they use Pitcairn, Bonaire etc.)

Well the 280X is almost certainly a base 7970. I guess by now at such low clocks and node maturity it should have far better power characteristics than at launch.

The 270X scores awfully close to a 7870 and the 260X scores awfully close to a 7770.

Well the 280X is almost certainly a base 7970. I guess by now at such low clocks and node maturity it should have far better power characteristics than at launch.

The 270X scores awfully close to a 7870 and the 260X scores awfully close to a 7770.

270X has a firestrike score of >5500 (according to AMDs presentation), which would be HD7950 territory. The 7870 has just 4900 points.
260X gets >3700 points, while the 7770 scores 2700 points.
So, something doesn't fit here.

[1] http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-im-test/18/

I guess Pitcairn has had an upgrade as well, but surely that's going to be really close to the 7950/R9 280 performance....

The 2GB memory of the 270X would fit to your upgraded Pitcairn. Or, AMD uses cut down versions oh Tahiti?

I think without mantle it should be able to take it. I think BF4 employs global illumination I think because it uses direct x 11.1. This has always been a performance killer on Nvidia cards. Enough to slow down a gtx 780 enough that a 7970 ghz beats its or catches it.

As far as this Mantle thing, I think if it somehow catches on and the performance is there, Nvidia would be dumb not to do their own version of it and use their much higher cash reserves to spread it more prolifically than AMD. They need a computer hook more than ever since games are going to be coded for GCN.

Back