AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

But then AMD could come out with a faster 295X, i.e. Hawaii at ~10% higher clock speed. You know, like in the good old days of the GF 79(5)0s and Radeons X19(5)0s with the successive GT, GTX, GTX, XT, XTX, XXX, GX2, Ultra editions… :D

I mean, if you think about it, the only reason this stopped is because NVIDIA really opened a gap with G80, and the two companies have never had approximately equally fast top GPUs since then. But it would appear that Hawaii and GK110 more or less fit that bill. Could be fun.

Dont need to go so far in past: 7970 -> 7970Ghz.

The problem for Nvidia, is they was many reason to dont use a full GK110 before the quadro release ( who cost 6000$.. ~2000$ more of the Tesla K20x ) .. and surely even more to dont use a 2688SP chips for the GTX780..

They can release a Titan Ultra.. but even by decrease the price of the "first " Titan by 100-150$ ( dont expect a price cut of 300$ as i have read some post above ( lol 30% down ).

Nvidia could decrease the 780 price to 550-599$... maybe adjust the Titan to 800-900 and release the ultra to 900-1000$ price....

Maybe a faster 780 ( 2688SP @ same clock speed ).. but no matter what, this will mean higher TDP.... this will cost them a lot ( higher binned chips who have high " ASIC " and low voltage ). + their 7000mhz GDDR5 is eating 5% more TDP.

Titan is not so much faster of the 780.. and limited by clock speed / TDP. You have some overclocked retail 780 who are as fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
This leak seems kind of suspicious because usually AMD is better at keeping secrets.

This has the smell of viral marketing all over it. Dice revealed the PCB and all this stuff(obviously with AMD's permission) and shortly after, a single website releases benchmarks.

AMD has usually been alot better at keeping these things under wraps until the very end. And that AMD head that mentioned the 30% smaller than the competitions should have been talking about performance a lot more if these were the gains.

The gains over the 7970 ghz are kind of suspicious at this point for the die size increase.

At this point and with the cards being actually released in a month, I could see AMD leaking fake information in regards to performance to kill Nvidia's high end sales. It would costs them nothing almost for advertising and it has a pretty dramatic effect as most website would post these results for the web traffic.

People will wait for AMD's cards until they actually come out and even if they don't perform as well as the leaks, with similar performance to Nvidia's lineup and free battlefield 4 and it simply being a new card, it makes it an attractive alternative to Nvidia's offerings. It doesn't even hurt AMD's current offerings because with 7970's in the 300 price range, its clearly a different market. All it hurts is 600 dollars cards and up.

Whoa, that's a little bit of paranoia up there. The cards are launching soon, reviews with real benchmarks are going to hit in sometime either on 9/25 or 10/2. What good is releasing fake benchmarks a few days in advance of launch? All it did was hurt sales for few days.

This has the smell of viral marketing all over it. Dice revealed the PCB and all this stuff(obviously with AMD's permission) and shortly after, a single website releases benchmarks.

The PCB shots were not from Repi (only this), but from the same site that made the benchmarks, giving them some credibility (at least they would be able to produce correct benchmarks, if they are on overclocked card etc we can't know).

Whoa, that's a little bit of paranoia up there. The cards are launching soon, reviews with real benchmarks are going to hit in sometime either on 9/25 or 10/2. What good is releasing fake benchmarks a few days in advance of launch? All it did was hurt sales for few days.

IF this is a tech unveil on the 25th rather than a full release with reviews, then it is more than a few days.

If this cards gets release at the end of the october, that's more than a month of sales which is pretty big. Particularly if they get those people upgrading for battlefield 4.

About the 512 vs 384bit, this GPU will be a FirePro and compute card as well and there 8GB simply is bigger than 6GB. And nvidia is at 12GB on the highest end (with a crazy price, twice as expensive as Firepro W9000 which is a professional Radeon 7970 w/ 6GB)

Let's say I'm shopping for a pro card and I see the new Hawaii pro thing with 6GB, aw this looks old, same as the W9000 and like the old generation Quadro 6000. If I see 8GB, the bigger number will make me happy, I'll say "oh, this can take bigger datasets".
(It's only a supposition, as I'll be happy if I manage to be able to use a doom wad editor or write single threaded code that does something)

About the 512 vs 384bit, this GPU will be a FirePro and compute card as well and there 8GB simply is bigger than 6GB. And nvidia is at 12GB on the highest end (with a crazy price, twice as expensive as Firepro W9000 which is a professional Radeon 7970 w/ 6GB)

Let's say I'm shopping for a pro card and I see the new Hawaii pro thing with 6GB, aw this looks old, same as the W9000 and like the old generation Quadro 6000. If I see 8GB, the bigger number will make me happy, I'll say "oh, this can take bigger datasets".
(It's only a supposition, as I'll be happy if I manage to be able to use a doom wad editor or write single threaded code that does something)
FirePro will have a 16GB model.

View Single Post
Old Today, 01:09 AM
Kyle_Bennett HardOCP Editor-in-Chief, 16.4 Years

AMD Sez
Next gen faster than anything NVIDIA has...

So...

I really hope these things do well, if only to bring Nvidia's pricing here in AUS under control. Seriously the price difference between a stock 780 and a custom 7970 is on average around 300 bucks

Kor, I respect you; it is DIFFICULT being a hardware enthusiast here in Australia

If the leaks are to believed, the fastest AMD card is either toe-to-toe or faster than the 780 and Titan with certain games.

But, if AMD brings this card out to $599 USD with that kind of performance, Nvidia needs to think long and [H]ard about their pricing.

R9 290X = $599

vs.

GTX 780 = $650 (before rebates and discounts)
Titan = $999

:LOL:

Nice following comments ;)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040220915#post1040220915

Road to Hawaii

Last edited by a moderator:
FirePro will have a 16GB model.

Do we know for certain that the next FirePro will be based on this GPU? And do anybody know whether this will be the ones included in the upcoming Mac Pro?

The reason I'm asking is because I would love to know whether there will be some quality support from apps like Adobe Premiere Pro CC etc. :cool:

Do we know for certain that the next FirePro will be based on this GPU? And do anybody know whether this will be the ones included in the upcoming Mac Pro?
Not yet, perhaps later today we will; Although i cannot imagine them not using it.
Concerning the Mac Pro; I do not think people would be happy paying thousands only to receive 7970 x2.

Not yet, perhaps later today we will; Although i cannot imagine them not using it.
Concerning the Mac Pro; I do not think people would be happy paying thousands only to receive 7970 x2.

Many user dont even know what is really in their MacPro.. Now they will maybe offer it as an option later ( and you can wait a good moment: - the cooler is specific to this tower, and Apple will need to redo all the config and tests for temp, tdp, and cooler etc. )

Im not sure, but t the "7970" inside it are the W9000 FirePro ?

I think like Wynix there:: 512bit 8GB for the lower models > 512bit 16GB for the higher model.

Apple's page says there will be two FirePros with 6 GB VRAM each and 7 teraflops total. Given that information, I think it's most likely that the top-end GPU is an underclocked FirePro W9000 (the regular W9000 has 4.0 TFLOPS), unless Apple adds another GPU before the Mac Pro's release.

Back