AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

"Not a 780 competitor" could simply mean it competes with Titan; which, by the way, sounds more reasonable for a brand new generation.

My point being that the general performance delta between GTX 780 and Titan is from small to close to negligible. It is one and the same, almost

What surprise me a lot , thoses 3 images, look to be taken from a reviewers sample box.. but i really dont see how someone could have them allready. ( when technical presentation will been in more thant 1 month and half )...
( And we still dont know if the cards will be launched or not at this date )

What surprise me a lot , thoses 3 images, look to be taken from a reviewers sample box.. but i really dont see how someone could have them allready. ( when technical presentation will been in more thant 1 month and half )...
( And we still dont know if the cards will be launched or not at this date )

Actually he mentioned "EA" in other posts and hinted that game companies were "real tigers", which are opposite of "paper dragon"

"It does not compete with 780" means it competes and beats Titan. I am worried when we will be able to buy the card though. The possible demand does not match the production capabilities for H2/13.

"It does not compete with 780" means it competes and beats Titan. I am worried when we will be able to buy the card though. The possible demand does not match the production capabilities for H2/13.

Even if true, it is exactly GTX 780 which Nvidia will have much more freedom to play with regarding pricing and even though it is possible Hawaii beats Titan, if those pricings are arranged in such a way, it would be exactly GTX 780 competing... All depends and we will see but it is too early now

Clearly it doesnt mean that. Thats just what you want it to mean (so do I). That doesnt make it any more than an assumption at this stage though.

If it's a 28nm chip, availability shouldn't be an issue.

You're assuming it's 20nm, when a fall launch says it's 28nm because 20nm won't be ready for mass production for some time.

Given how long it's been since 7xxx series launched, there's no way AMD can stretch things out for another six months (or more if there are delays) in order to get a 20nm chip out the door.

It's gotta be far too early for mass production of 20nm, especially for something as complex as a GPU

I am sad now.

I thought you had already understood that TSMC would start mass production as late as Q1 2014, and most probably for Nvidia.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/17...-kretsar-i-20-nanometer-forsta-kvartalet-2014

Chairman Morris Chang said the equipment is on its way to its plant Fab 14, Phase 5, and installed. Then calculate all the equipment be tested and ready to start mass producing chips in 20 nanometers in the first quarter of 2014

I thought by now everyone understood TSMC or other fabs enough to realize their PR statements are typically off by at least a full year before their tech is used by any nontrivial chip and likely off by more for more complex chips.

I am sad now.

I thought you had already understood that TSMC would start mass production as late as Q1 2014, and most probably for Nvidia.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/17...-kretsar-i-20-nanometer-forsta-kvartalet-2014

Chairman Morris Chang said the equipment is on its way to its plant Fab 14, Phase 5, and installed. Then calculate all the equipment be tested and ready to start mass producing chips in 20 nanometers in the first quarter of 2014

Yeah now is August, Q1 2014 is 4 1/2 months away best case, 7 1/2 months worst case. And that's *starting* mass production so add another 6 weeks before the first chips are ready. So now we're 6 months away at best, probably closer to 9 months though before the first mass produced 20nm chip is available.

I am sad now.

And if things get delayed (as they have for the last few nodes), then AMD have no product for most of a year. It's not like they can backpedal and port a 20nm product to 28nm. Nor would they want to when it would have such a short life if it were to come out in July 2014. Remember what happened to AMD when TSMC had problems and skipped a node, forcing AMD to throw away 6-12 months of work?

Past experience says that 20nm will be late, risky and expensive, so it makes sense for AMD to get a generation in at the end of 28nm to last until Q4 2014 when 20nm is truly ready.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if 9xxx is 20nm, but there's plenty of reasons to think otherwise. Just like I'd be pleasantly surprised if I won millions on the lottery, but it's not very likely.

Supposedly there are other TSMC Fabs that have Q4 '13 for 20nm, or at least that hasn't been updated to '14. Think someone posted a list on anand.

Edit- Found it, supposedly Fab 12 started risk early Q1 '13 and is starting mass production Q4 '13.

Last edited by a moderator:
New specs & stuff

Just saw this info posted on some forums. Sounds like wishful thinking but who knows? Matches what is in the first page of this thread.

Hawaii
TSMC 20-nm SoC
GlobalFoundries 20-nm LPM
GlobalFoundries 22-nm HPP

New Zealand
Dual GPU 7990 Malta successor
Maui x 2
3840 SP x 2

Maui XT
7970 Tahiti XT successor
385mm2
1050mhz core
7ghz mem
290 Tdp
3840 SP
240 TMU
64 ROP
512bit
8064 Gflops
252 Gtexels
67.2 Gpixels
68.2 Z stencil

Iceland
2816 SP / 176 TMU / 48 ROP / 384bit

Tonga
1536 SP / 96 TMU / 32 ROP / 256bit

AMD should have had the new design ready for console chips (I suppose), so the reason for delay are very likely dictated by other factors, not by having the 28nm design available in time.

Back