AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Two overpriced cards, do not justify another one.
So don't buy it. It will still have pretty big a pretty big effect the rest of the high and mid-high end cards' prices.

AMD no longer operates as if they're the budget alternative to Nvidia. They're now acting as if they're just as good or better, and price accordingly.

Preproductions cards have been sent to the AIBs, will/might have leaks soon
has a 12 layer board in (his) hands

7 cooling solutions competing for the final design
the cooling base coming from Sapphire

Interesting .. and he seems confirm october release in the title.

Preproductions cards have been sent to the AIBs, will/might have leaks soon
has a 12 layer board in (his) hands

7 cooling solutions competing for the final design
the cooling base coming from Sapphire
Nice to hear that they are being serious about improving their cooler.

Now they just need to justify making us wait for so long.

I'd be curious to know when was the last time AMD had a single chip board with 12 layer reference PCB. Is 7970 made on a 12 layer PCB?

October is still a quarter away, so long time to go that... :rolleyes:

But it would be interesting to see a card from AMD to close the gap with GTX 780 :oops:

And unfortunately, this would mean no 20 nm cards in the foreseeable future. If NV releases anything on 20 nm in Q2 2014, then AMD would probably be lagging with the manufacturing process... has that ever happened?

Please, learn how to do a silent cooler as the latest nvidia's ones
Quoted for effect. AMD reference coolers have been WAY too loud for years.

Also, please design air inlet so the fan doesn't starve when cards are stacked up next to each other. 6970s were horrible in that regard, way too boxy.

Yes, Nvidia introduced the first 130nm GPU (GeForce FX ;) )

And 110nm (7800 GTX). With 90nm they were two weeks apart with their launches. Next step was different nodes (55nm vs 65nm). So it's not like AMD was always faster to adopt new nodes.

Well, after consulting Wikipedia, you and I were both wrong. AMD was first, but only marginally so with a Xxxx card in June 2004 while Nvidia came shortly after in July with the 6600 (GT). So basically on par, one month is nothing.

And 110nm (7800 GTX). With 90nm they were two weeks apart with their launches. Next step was different nodes (55nm vs 65nm). So it's not like AMD was always faster to adopt new nodes.

Well, actually AMD was always faster, though ATI wasn't. It might just be a coincidence, or the consequence of the cumulative experience and know-how in physical design.

Also, please design air inlet so the fan doesn't starve when cards are stacked up next to each other. 6970s were horrible in that regard, way too boxy.

They fixed that already with the 7000 series, over 18 months ago...

Rumor or not, i put forth my past suggestion to Dave....please allow easy dis-assembly of your stock cooler and easy/standard installation points for a aio closed loop water cooler....like seriously check out how much a simple corsair h60 massively improves gpu core temps!

Back