Would a PS Vita HD refresh work?

Yes, price drop will boost volume, but to generate a high, sustainable volume, Sony will need to tighten more than just pricing alone.

Nintendo may react if Sony try to target the same user base.

Nintendo has their own fire to put out with the Wii U.

I think this E3 will be bigger for the Wii U and Vita than it will be for X720 and PS4. Those two will be the de facto choice. Wii U and Vita still have to prove they have worthwhile content.

I don't mind a good PSP game on Vita. It seems to consume less battery than full blown Vita games. ^_^
Persona PSP was my most played game on Vita. I liked Valkyria Chronicles 2 on Vita too.

However, sooner or later, they will have to create HD assets for iOS and Android version anyways.

Considering the raw power in today's smartphones and the fact that most to grossing games on iOS and Android are still 2D, I don't think that pressure exists. Besides, fancy 3D graphics visibly negatively affects battery life. PSP learned that the hard way.

Today's smartphones spend a lot of resources on non-games (e.g., phone app, GPS, web browsing, network stuff, etc.). 3DS and Vita are leaner.

3D graphics like Vita's Uncharted is pretty interesting, but yes not all good games need 3D rendering. I'm hoping Soul Sacrifice delivers though. When I get a Vita, I will most certainly get LBP and DoA5+ too. OTOH, I didn't like GTA for PSP. Never been a fan of GTA.

Vita HD... Why not just wait for Vita 2? Vitae? Lol.

Vita I think suffers from a few flaws: price being undercut by 3DS, a target age group already married to many portable devices, and horrible memory card and game pricing ($40 just cannot be the average portable game price today). It's like being squashed between the power of Mario and Pokemon on one side and then Android and iOS on the other. Vita needs a unique property to keep it alive.

Anyway, I don't think the solution is a HD Vita. It needs to make the Vita intrinsically valuable from a content and feature perspective I think. I think Vita will have a full "life" when its companion PS4 comes along and more portable appropriate games reach the platform. And more games from DrinkBox wouldn't hurt a bit.

Being intrinsically valuable means finding that niche purpose that makes it relevant to a target gamer. And that should mean gradually growing the content and selling itself as a sister device to PS4 I think. HD screens won't help in the slightest I think. The HD ship has already sailed for portables on phones. Copying features other multifunctional portables already have and will get better at will just dig a deeper hole for Vita and make it less relevant. Bringing a higher spec is a job for the Vita's successor.

Vita HD... Why not just wait for Vita 2? Vitae? Lol.

Vita I think suffers from a few flaws: price being undercut by 3DS, a target age group already married to many portable devices, and horrible memory card and game pricing ($40 just cannot be the average portable game price today). It's like being squashed between the power of Mario and Pokemon on one side and then Android and iOS on the other. Vita needs a unique property to keep it alive.

Anyway, I don't think the solution is a HD Vita. It needs to make the Vita intrinsically valuable from a content and feature perspective I think. I think Vita will have a full "life" when its companion PS4 comes along and more portable appropriate games reach the platform. And more games from DrinkBox wouldn't hurt a bit.

Being intrinsically valuable means finding that niche purpose that makes it relevant to a target gamer. And that should mean gradually growing the content and selling itself as a sister device to PS4 I think. HD screens won't help in the slightest I think. The HD ship has already sailed for portables on phones. Copying features other multifunctional portables already have and will get better at will just dig a deeper hole for Vita and make it less relevant. Bringing a higher spec is a job for the Vita's successor.

I would be perfectly fine if the Vita had 5-10 exclusive high quality games like Guacamelee. And the price is excellent too at $15. I am really hoping the Vita finds its strength on games based on the Unity engine which thrive on having hardware controls which iOS and Android lack.

It should already have pretty good games now, no ? When I had it, I play the unit more than anything else.

Now that I have an iPad mini, it will be interesting to see what I play more when my Vita arrives. My guess is 50/50.

There are a bunch of great and cheap games like Tales from Space, Hardboiled Chicken, and I'm not even sure anymore how many PSP and PS1 titles lol. PS Plus is still quite a bargain on Vita too when you get Wipeout, Uncharted, and Gravity Rush as the base free games. It's kind of a shame though, because Tales and Hardboiled aren't the type of games that win a lot of publicity on gaming sites. Hopefully upcoming games like Dragon's Crown will change that.

I think Vita is on a good path right now though overall. It's steadily building a strong library of great portable games. PS1 support and stuff is just a great bonus (and they don't take up much space lol).

Pixel density is fine on the Vita and so is the overall power... If anything it needs a new cheaper model ($179-$199) with cheaper memory cards. It is the 3DS that is in dire need of greater pixel density. I wish they came up with a double pixel density version of that portable.

Pixel density is fine on the Vita and so is the overall power... If anything it needs a new cheaper model ($179-$199) with cheaper memory cards. It is the 3DS that is in dire need of greater pixel density. I wish they came up with a double pixel density version of that portable.

Well, you know Nintendo's MO, lets take tech from 10 years ago and put it into our console. It's just after the near perfection in design that was the DS Lite, the 3DS and 3DS XL are bulky monsters that I simply can't stand.

It should already have pretty good games now, no ? When I had it, I play the unit more than anything else.

Now that I have an iPad mini, it will be interesting to see what I play more when my Vita arrives. My guess is 50/50.

I just can't get to grips (sic) with gaming on my tablet. There are some mighty fine games to play: NOVA3, Shadowgun, Dead Trigger, Horn etc. But I just can't do the whole virtual buttons and stick arrangement.

I'm just glad that Android supports the PS3 controller out of the box. It's made life so much easier. But that where the Vita has complete mastery and why it is always going to be my go to mobile games machine.

Though a HD refresh with an SD card and speakers that aren't under your fingers would probably get me reaching into my pocket again!!

Well... Plants vs Zombies is a pretty good game in my book. And it begins its life on iOS. There is a PS3 Dualshock 3 port, but the Vita and iOS versions win hands down.

Clash of Clan works very well with tablet form factor also.

It depends on what games you like.

I would get a Vita HD, ie a revision that has enough power to run current Vita games at native res.

That's my biggest issue with getting a Vita, games don't run at native res and I'm spoiled by pin sharp Retina displays.

But not if the price is significantly higher than the current Vita.

Otherwise, I'd get the Vita as it is if it has a price drop to $150 or so, which is what I'm hoping happens in time for the PS4 launch as I primarily want to use it for Remote Play.

I would get a Vita HD, ie a revision that has enough power to run current Vita games at native res.

That's my biggest issue with getting a Vita, games don't run at native res and I'm spoiled by pin sharp Retina displays.

But not if the price is significantly higher than the current Vita.

Otherwise, I'd get the Vita as it is if it has a price drop to $150 or so, which is what I'm hoping happens in time for the PS4 launch as I primarily want to use it for Remote Play.

I predict a PS4/PSVita premium bundle where the Vita effectively becomes $150 or so at the high end. Stock of PS4s will be so limited (and the Vita still useful enough with Remote Play) that it would be absolutely idiotic not to do it.

Thread resurrection tiem!

I couldn't find anything more appropriate, and did not feel like starting a new one so I'll post here.

Bought a Vita yesterday! The 3G/GPS version, just for the hell of it (and that I got a decent deal on it); don't have a SIM card for it yet though and not sure I'll bother with getting one either. Depends on if I can get a second SIM for my current subscription or not (I'm not going to buy an entirely new sub just for this thing that's for sure.) Also bought a cheap 2nd hand 4GB memory card just to try things out with.

The hardware is really nice and rigid, virtually no flex at all in the casing even though it's mostly just a lump of plastic. I decided to buy the old version of the hardware even though the update is incoming...soon-ish, anyway. I don't think battery life will be an issue for me, and the smooth glass top of the original vita beats the new partly plastic one IMO. It's a bit heavy to hold tho, as I noticed lying in my bed and surfing the web last night.

One problem is that the PSN store is being a b----, it gives the error message NP-8120-1, claiming my credit card information is invalid even though it isn't. Fking sony shit software....

Your screen is plastic too ;)

And congrats! It's a great system. Never had issues with the credit card though. Maybe your account region doesn't match the location of your cc?

Your screen is plastic too ;)
Really? I was led to believe the top cover is glass, but I guess everything's possible. Didn't know capacitive tech worked with plastic, but I guess there shouldn't be a reason why it would not...

Never had issues with the credit card though. Maybe your account region doesn't match the location of your cc?
It seems the card got drained by my gym membership withdrawing its monthly recurring charge, and PSN simply failed to give an appropriate error message. Or I think that's the reason anyway. I haven't topped up the card again yet so I can't be sure.

Back