NHL 14 ... as if you even care!

Yeah, they could do a lot more with play on the boards. You can pin people on the boards, and it is a very effective strategy. I just think the pin is too much like a hold, where in real hockey the player you're "pinning" would still be able to move a bit more.

I have my guy set up to resist checks, so unless I get caught straight on, I can usually bounce off. Guys need to get me at a good run to knock me over.

EASHL is a lot of fun. I'm not sure how well it would work for Hong Kong though. I know you can a region for your team, and that dictates which countries dedicated servers you play on. I know there are servers in Europe, but that's probably the only place besides North America.

Do they have a '94 mode in EASHL?

Yeah... being able to pin ppl on the boards is a nice boost to overall flexibility but knowing EA it kinda ignores the whole impetus for doing so, which is usually that the opposition is pinning the puck on the boards to begin with. Ultimately it comes down to being able to kick and trap the puck, and I'm going to guess that, at the speed EA NHL usually runs at, this sort of maneuvering would either be impractical or otherwise broken.

Again, thanks for the infos, I've been tempted to get back into EA NHL for years and years.

Yeah... being able to pin ppl on the boards is a nice boost to overall flexibility but knowing EA it kinda ignores the whole impetus for doing so, which is usually that the opposition is pinning the puck on the boards to begin with. Ultimately it comes down to being able to kick and trap the puck, and I'm going to guess that, at the speed EA NHL usually runs at, this sort of maneuvering would either be impractical or otherwise broken.

Again, thanks for the infos, I've been tempted to get back into EA NHL for years and years.

The board play has been in the game since NHL 12 ... maybe. You basically pin the guy on the boards, and he can move very slowly to try to escape from you or kick the puck to one of his teammates. The defenders can come in while the opponent is free and try to poke the puck free. What's missing is the more common middle ground, where the defender will basically keep his hands or stick on the opponents back to contain him on the boards while the opponent is free to turn on the boards.

sounds pretty good -- I've yet to play a version with actual board play, that will be interesting. So, have you heard which version is "the one to get"? I've got both consoles and I presume they're too lame to have a PC version anymore..?

sounds pretty good -- I've yet to play a version with actual board play, that will be interesting. So, have you heard which version is "the one to get"? I've got both consoles and I presume they're too lame to have a PC version anymore..?

No PC version. I don't think there's any difference between the sports titles on either platform. I'd just pick the one with the controller you prefer, or the one with the friends you want to play with.

The last two titles have really gone in a sim direction, but you can adjust the difficulty and simulation level (or sliders manually) to make it more of an arcade experience, if that's what you prefer.

No way, I'm all sim, sim, sim, I want it to take five minutes to get up and down the ice and 27 shots, 15 hits, and seven penalties per game. Thanks for the input again -- so fast! ;D

No way, I'm all sim, sim, sim, I want it to take five minutes to get up and down the ice and 27 shots, 15 hits, and seven penalties per game. Thanks for the input again -- so fast! ;D

Oh, and a tip. The new game features left-stick hitting. Basically you just have to steer into someone with the left stick and you will hit them automatically. You can still direct your hitting with the right stick if you want, but if you gave left stick hitting on, there isn't much point. My problem with the left-stick hitting is it made board play pretty much impossible. To pin someone, you hold the Y button (Triangle?) and skate into the opponent if they are against the boards. With left-stick hitting, it seemed to override that control and I'd always end up going for a hit. So if you want to pin, go into the control settings and disable left-stick hitting. Then you can pin to your hearts content. It's actually an incredibly good and underused control if you are playing online. If you are on a team that has a good forecheck, and you always pin on the boards instead of going for the hit, you can cause mayhem for the other teams defense. If you know how to do a 2-man cycle, you can really drive teams nuts.

Oh, and when you start the game it'll ask you some questions about your familiarity with the series and the style of play you like to adjust the difficulty and the sim. Hardcore sim is basically high-realism with manual passing. Online play is simulation (not hardcore) with AI difficulty above Pro for CPU players.

Oh, and a tip. The new game features left-stick hitting. Basically you just have to steer into someone with the left stick and you will hit them automatically. You can still direct your hitting with the right stick if you want, but if you gave left stick hitting on, there isn't much point. My problem with the left-stick hitting is it made board play pretty much impossible. To pin someone, you hold the Y button (Triangle?) and skate into the opponent if they are against the boards. With left-stick hitting, it seemed to override that control and I'd always end up going for a hit. So if you want to pin, go into the control settings and disable left-stick hitting. Then you can pin to your hearts content. It's actually an incredibly good and underused control if you are playing online. If you are on a team that has a good forecheck, and you always pin on the boards instead of going for the hit, you can cause mayhem for the other teams defense. If you know how to do a 2-man cycle, you can really drive teams nuts.

Does keeping the puck in the offensive zone, even if you are pinned against the boards by the D for a time, have the appropriate effect of tiring out the team in the defensive zone and increasing the chance to score (or draw a penalty)? Even if not on a per shift basis, as the game wears on?

Does keeping the puck in the offensive zone, even if you are pinned against the boards by the D for a time, have the appropriate effect of tiring out the team in the defensive zone and increasing the chance to score (or draw a penalty)? Even if not on a per shift basis, as the game wears on?

I'm not totally sure. The teams that I've played on tend to draw a lot of penalties playing that style, because it's frustrating as hell for the other team, and when we'd cycle well they'd chase out of position and have to recover with a bad poke check or stick lift. Whether there is some type of "momentum" programmed into the game that would change the frequencies of penalties, I do not know. Hitting people definitely tires people out. I'm not sure about pinning them. It should, but I don't know. The strength stat has a big effect on how long you can pin someone, or how long it takes you to escape.

Back