Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (VGleaks)

So the mini version, I wonder if they'll let you rip all your existing 360 games to it's HDD somehow.

I figure use Durango's optical drive for that. Put your 360 disc in Durango, it installs it to the 360 mini's hdd and plays the game form there, using the optical disc in Durango just to authenticate that you really own the game.

So, buy a new 360 to have BC. LOL :LOL:

Unless they let you use your old 360. Depends how they're connected together and whether they can patch the Xbox 360 OS to support whatever features it would need.

I for one would not spend more than $0 on backwards compatibility.

This seems like a pretty good solution to the backwards compatibility problem, although $149 is a little high for what will be viewed as either a BC module or an Apple TV competitor. It sounds like it's supposed to work okay in standalone mode, even if only with downloaded content, so I wonder what its internal storage will be like.

Would be great if this unit can plug into Durango with no additional connections at all - power, video, and controls all going through the Durango to avoid all the extra cables (with limited ports to plug into) and controllers. Would be great if it could also access the Durango's storage; maybe Durango will expose itself as a USB mass storage device. Doing this all over a stackable expansion port would be nice.

Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates)

I wonder what this means. Since it says update instead of upgrade, I suppose it could be anything

Smells like controlled leaks, too bad no specs.

HDMI pass through is for TV functions, but I wonder if 360o (old) can pass through, minus the 360 mini functions.

I'd bet big money - at least 10 English pounds - that this is a leak direct from MS PR.

The Kotaku story wasn't a misunderstanding - their source had a specific figure for timeout to occur and an definite description of what would occur following this specific timeout.

Kotaku said:
"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time—currently three minutes, if I remember correctly—the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

And they weren't the only folks saying this was MS's policy. This is a huge fucking backpedal followed by a carefully placed piece of damage control due to a massive, snowballing backlash.

Hurrah!

I'd bet big money - at least 10 English pounds - that this is a leak direct from MS PR.

The Kotaku story wasn't a misunderstanding - their source had a specific figure for timeout to occur and an definite description of what would occur following this specific timeout.

And they weren't the only folks saying this was MS's policy. This is a huge fucking backpedal followed by a carefully placed piece of damage control due to a massive, snowballing backlash.

Hurrah!

Or gaming journalists, "insiders" and speculators got it wrong. Also, this is another set of rumours that really can't be verified until we have a launch event. This rumour itself could turn out to be completely wrong.

Now if only they allowed some type of user installed storage like PS3 I could install all of my existing games on a huge hard drive of my own choosing.

Would be great if it could also access the Durango's storage; maybe Durango will expose itself as a USB mass storage device. Doing this all over a stackable expansion port would be nice.

That would be fantastic especially if MS allows users to install their own hard drives like SSD/Hybrid drives like PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hurrah!

The article in the OP suggests (states, actually) the timeout was just a devkit thing due to the hardware being split up into multiple networked devices

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, not blocking used games, no online DRM crap, no mandatory online either.
So many good news today, I couldn't be happier :D

Unless they let you use your old 360. Depends how they're connected together and whether they can patch the Xbox 360 OS to support whatever features it would need.

I for one would not spend more than $0 on backwards compatibility.

Anything else would be a bad joke.

Anyway i'm curious to see how are they going to sell this console to the european and japanese:LOL: public. Seems very NA oriented console, much more than their previous consoles.

VGLeaks apart from specs stories (from superdae) is not very reliable. They posted fake info on next-gen only Assassins Creed and Sony developing FF seems very fishy

This add-on talk is straight from forum speculations and dosent look feasible

I'm liking what I'm hearing here, but it could get even more expensive if you have to buy both the 360Mini & Durango. I'm still in the wait & see attitude right now. I think I might sell my existing 360 to get the 360Mini & then still buy Durango. Ingenious plan on Microsoft's part! LOL

Tommy McClain

I hope they keep system link capability with this new 360Mini but I could see it being a problem since most if not all system link games require separate game discs per console.

Nice...so the Xbox Mini is basically a Backwards Compatibility module...that hopefully you could stack above/below the Durango unit. Looks like someone at MS was listening to some of my ramblings...:LOL:
That's a good idea. A very good idea IMO. It solves the issue of a limited interest BC module which has been discussed as a solution for BC in next-gen without adding to every SKU BOM by turning it into a general purpose STB. That idea would also fit in with Sony's shrinking Cell - they could create a PS STB that doubles as a BC box with PS4. A Lite console that shares components of the 'host' console seems like a great compromise in extending a platform into its final hardware phase at a budget price.

Or gaming journalists, "insiders" and speculators got it wrong. Also, this is another set of rumours that really can't be verified until we have a launch event. This rumour itself could turn out to be completely wrong.

Agreed!

However this just makes too much sense, it is a smart strategy mostly outside of the thoughts we have seen. Add in a lack of panic from MS and that makes more sense even.

Maybe I just like rumors that are good for us... lol

True. I'm possibly putting more faith than deserved VGLeaks. It's also possible that I'm biased by the fact that as the negative PR accumulated (exploded) I've been expecting some kind of backpedal (or clarification) from MS, so confirmation bias and all that.

The article in the OP suggests (states, actually) the timeout was just a devkit thing due to the hardware being split up into multiple networked devices

Actually the OP says that's where "most" of the always connected rumours are coming from, which means by extension that some of the rumours don't come from that.

This is what you guys are going to get. Take it or leave it.

There will be Durango (all the leaks we have currently pertain to this console). It is MS's next gen gaming console competing with PS4 and Wii U.

Possibly, there will be XboxTV (basically low-power tablet/cellphone guts in a box for media streaming and xbla style games). It could be a MS's answer to AppleTV, etc.

Finally, there will be a refresh of the Xbox 360 (a la PS2 super slim). This will enable MS to continue to capitalize on last gen gaming in the budget-minded audience space.

All 3 will likely include some form of Kinect and some variety of the Metro interface by way of a custom version of W8 or WRT (depending on the device).

I would make a serious bet on the above happening.

A dual APU console, while interesting, does not remotely make any bit of business sense. The whole idea of a system on a chip is to take advantage of a reduction of system complexity and power utilization in every aspect of system design from power supply to box size to single, simplified cooling solution.

I said this over a month ago on March 7. And look what news comes out today regarding the future XBOX(es): info on a new version of XBOX 360 (i.e., XBOX TV to compete with the likes of Apple TV, Google TV, and to provide backwards compatability for Durango) and the Durango next-gen console. : )

Disclaimer: I am not an insider (just an enthusiast with the ability to reason and infer based on the leaked and provided information).

I would love for this new 360 to function as an extender for any Durango game. Main Durango on main TV and cheap extenders on other TVs that would allow access to Durango games and services.

SS is hardly a negative in North America (chevrolet has been tacking SS onto performance versions of their cars for eons), but I doubt the name matters.

Certainly an interesting concept if true, but I wonder about the price point for an addon when a full 360 will undoubtedly have similar price point.

I remember a north american car called laputa and sold in south america with terrible results

Back