Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (VGleaks)

onQ

Veteran
http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013)

Microsoft is working hard in its new strategy for the next years. The company wants to expand its Xbox brand with two new Xbox. One would be next-gen, the other one would be a new redesign for Xbox 360. Take in mind the Wii Mini, MS would like to offer something similar to Nintendo. This cheap model would be focused as a set top box product, although you will be able to load games too, but the games should be load directly from the HDD. This Xbox wouldn’t have disc drive.

We have received new information about the latest Xbox Roadmap. Our source unveils new details for Durango, Xbox mini and the Microsoft strategy; moreover we don’t forget Kinect 2.0.

Microsoft expands its Xbox brand

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.
Kinect 2.0

A different department within Xbox handles Kinect hardware and software. The focus was more on developing and networking both consoles with Kinect more of an after thought at that point, considering dealing with it would be less of an issue even with hardware changes to the main console hardware. Kinect isn’t the primary focus.

The development kits required several pieces of hardware as to combine all “potential” hardware which may or may not be required to work with each other, which also includes the potential for any or all devices to required a network connection, which is where most of the “required” rumors are coming from.

It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Now that would be friggen sweet....if true.

Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately.

Nice...so the Xbox Mini is basically a Backwards Compatibility module...that hopefully you could stack above/below the Durango unit. Looks like someone at MS was listening to some of my ramblings...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Advert pausing. C'mon Xbox, do it. Embrace it. Become what you were born to be.

Sadly many adverts are higher quality than crap actually on TV. However making a crippled DVR wouldn't endear the product to anyone, I'd consider it unlikely.

So I can pause my order of crow at least, this information seems plausible.

I still think the new 360 should be a extender for Durango, actually all 360's would get an os update to do so in my universe.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Orignal Post said:
Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately.
WHAT "supporting device"? :p Sounds like a hardware backwards compatibility addon, which would be Big Surprise IMO. That, or the new 360 "XS" (standing for extra small; calling it "SS" (super small) would have bad connotations...) will actually hook up to a durango to play old games. Not having a disc drive would make sense in that case. So would the rumor of there being HDMI passthrough on durango.

Interesting. I'd like to know the source. I'm sure the unruly mob won't put their pitchforks away until they have a name. Any bets Microsoft leaked this to calm them down?

Basically you hook your Xbox mini (360) to the Durango with the HDMI input, so you can play your old 360 games on the old console but have it appear as if you're playing on Durango (can see Durango UI overlays, friends etc). If this is true, I wonder if people can hang onto their current 360s to do the same thing? Would kind of suck if you had to buy the 360 mini to do this, but I don't give a shit about BC anyway.

Didn't someone here mention the idea of backcomp via HDMI in from your old 360? Definitely a nice feature. Edit: Wait, do you need this new Xbox mini to do this?

wtf, I was told always online and no used games.

Used games don't matter so much if half the content is tied to a single use code or unique disk serial.

Wouldn't surprise me if this leak is intentional damage control. Try and stop the rot, runaway bad press and the PS4 momentum without looking weak and bringing their reveal forward. This isn't developer docs type stuff. And always online would be deactivated by a simple registry flag or something.

Adam Orthy: pro consumer double agent, forcing [strike]EA[/strike] MS to set the [strike]Sim City[/strike] Durango NetworkTimeOut flag to 0.

Didn't someone here mention the idea of backcomp via HDMI in from your old 360? Definitely a nice feature. Edit: Wait, do you need this new Xbox mini to do this?

Technically that's not BC since you own a complete 360 which includes a optical drive already so you don't need the Durango. The Xbox Mini module I could see being quite small since a lot of the space was due to the DVD drive. I'm guessing it'll be a physically low profile box like a 1U chassis.

WHAT "supporting device"? :p Sounds like a hardware backwards compatibility addon, which would be Big Surprise IMO. That, or the new 360 "XS" (standing for extra small; calling it "SS" (super small) would have bad connotations...) will actually hook up to a durango to play old games. Not having a disc drive would make sense in that case. So would the rumor of there being HDMI passthrough on durango.

SS is hardly a negative in North America (chevrolet has been tacking SS onto performance versions of their cars for eons), but I doubt the name matters.

Certainly an interesting concept if true, but I wonder about the price point for an addon when a full 360 will undoubtedly have similar price point.

Technically that's not BC since you own a complete 360 which includes a optical drive already so you don't need the Durango.

But this way you wouldn't exactly have to switch consoles to do it. Not exactly ... well sort of. You're playing on Durango (at least it seems that way) with access to all of the UI and services that entails, but the game is actually running on the stacked Mini (or 360?) I wonder how the controller situation would work. Is there some way they'd pass-through control. What kind of latency penalty?

Technically that's not BC since you own a complete 360 which includes a optical drive already so you don't need the Durango.

True, technically. But it's more from a convenience point of view that makes it semi interesting.

Reading that article again it seems you'll still need to buy this new $149 Xbox 360 mini network controllable version.

Technically that's not BC since you own a complete 360 which includes a optical drive already so you don't need the Durango. The Xbox Mini module I could see being quite small since a lot of the space was due to the DVD drive. I'm guessing it'll be a physically low profile box like a 1U chassis.

It's actually better than bc since you get 100% compatibility and the entire library of 360 games working from day 1 without any bc related software glitches. Plus if you eventually tire of 360 games and don't care for them anymore, simply disconnect it from your Durango and use it as a media box elsewhere in the house. As a side bonus, this same mini 360 lets them compete with Apple TV and the like. If this is all really true then I can see why they kept the idea hidden because it's a brilliant solution to the bc issue.

But this way you wouldn't exactly have to switch consoles to do it. Not exactly ... well sort of. You're playing on Durango (at least it seems that way) with access to all of the UI and services that entails, but the game is actually running on the stacked Mini (or 360?) I wonder how the controller situation would work. Is there some way they'd pass-through control. What kind of latency penalty?

You're talking about the Mini which ideally should be able to work independently as well like an extender and not just a thin BC piggyback module. Of course it needs a network connection to validate the disc. There's no reason why the Mini HAS to go through the Durango via HDMI given that it needs to have HDMI out to begin with which means it should be able to drive it's own display and work from different locations within the home. It just needs access to Durango's physical optical drive to read your 360 discs. If this 360 Mini could function as an extender as well then it would also have all the wireless controller functions intact. Now I see why the display panes functions were added...ie to facilitate overlaying the video output of the piggyback module with that of the Durango.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smells like controlled leaks, too bad no specs.

HDMI pass through is for TV functions, but I wonder if 360o (old) can pass through, minus the 360 mini functions.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I'm sure old 360's would work through pass through just fine (just like a PS4 would too, lol). But it just wouldn't have all the network controllable integration the mini version has.

So the mini version, I wonder if they'll let you rip all your existing 360 games to it's HDD somehow.

Back