TIP: Air Travel Gaming with a Gaming Laptop

You mean I've been having bad luck with planes all my life?

Not at all. AC power has only been rolled out over the last year or two. If you've flown a 777 in that time frame it likely had AC power (outlet under your seat on most, under seat pocket on some, only two outlets per three seats). Really, just check seatguru. If you tend to fly smaller planes or older planes (747) chances are almost zero for AC power.

Not at all. AC power has only been rolled out over the last year or two. If you've flown a 777 in that time frame it likely had AC power (outlet under your seat on most, under seat pocket on some, only two outlets per three seats). Really, just check seatguru. If you tend to fly smaller planes or older planes (747) chances are almost zero for AC power.

Not entirely true. I know Northwest Airlines used to have AC power in most economy (even non-refundable economy) seats in their trans-Pacific (dunno about Atlantic) 747s as far back as 2002 or 2003. But other than Northwest, it was pretty damned rare. And I usually flew United at the time, which didn't have them.

Regards,
SB

Not entirely true. I know Northwest Airlines used to have AC power in most economy (even non-refundable economy) seats in their trans-Pacific (dunno about Atlantic) 747s as far back as 2002 or 2003. But other than Northwest, it was pretty damned rare. And I usually flew United at the time, which didn't have them.

Regards,
SB

I used to fly Northwest Detroit to Tokyo quite often and the closest I ever saw were those proprietary airline plugs (in business class I believe). Certainly there was no in seat entertainment. Probably flew that route on the way to Beijing or Taipei at least a dozen times.

Just did a little digging and NWA had AC in the front half of economy on their Airbus 333s back in the day. The DTW-NRT route was a 747 so that's why I never saw them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to fly Northwest Detroit to Tokyo quite often and the closest I ever saw were those proprietary airline plugs (in business class I believe). Certainly there was no in seat entertainment. Probably flew that route on the way to Beijing or Taipei at least a dozen times.

Just did a little digging and NWA had AC in the front half of economy on their Airbus 333s back in the day. The DTW-NRT route was a 747 so that's why I never saw them.

Yeah, when I took NWA, it was the SF to Tokyo route. At the time I was surprised to see AC outlets in economy. Perhaps it was more rare for NWA flights than I thought.

Regards,
SB

LOL. I was in Tokyo the last two days and Osaka today and tomorrow. It's not terribly fun travel,but someone has to do it.

I would be HAPPY to do it! What do you have to do when you get there? Did you stay at the place that Bill Murray stayed in "Lost in Translation"? Did you do liquor ads? I could do that.

I'm with Mize on the travel itself not being terribly fun. And I only have to go from WA state (so for me it's only about 12-14 hours fight + commute to/from airport in the US and at the destination), he goes all the way from the Midwest. The first couple of times the flight is fun. After that, the flights are just tedious. Oh and customs. And if you have to switch flights. :p

Once you get there, however, if it's not all business it can be fun. :)

Regards,
SB

I'm COMPLETELY okay with tedious I can handle tedious like it was nothing. So nothing is tedious to me really, I can spin my mind up into such a quivering jelly, that I'm never bored! What do you have to do when you get there?

Japan is actually pretty tough since it's still a suit and tie business environment. I make controls and analyzers for the heavy thermal processing industry so I'm out on production floors and on giant furnaces for heat treating, glass melting, steel forming, etc. all in a suit here in Japan. I never check bags so that means the same suit day after day (clean shirts, etc. of course). In China I manage our subsidiary there (sales office as our production is USA and EU) which means personnel issues with huge cultural differences. There's very little time for fun things unless you like drinking a lot and staying out late for KTV or Karaoke. I don't mind Karaoke at all, but days on end of too much drinking really mess with one's health and it's hard to get up for a run in the morning to offset the debauchery. I've been doing this (6-15 international trips per year) for well over ten years and I'd be perfectly fine with giving it all up...go get about 20 years experience in analyzers and controls, as well as some kind of expert certification like a PE or PhD and a strong understanding of how to run a business and I'll definitely consider handing over the reins :)

How the fuck does that kind of career happen to you? I mean. I'm playing softball, and such. NOBODY approaches me with an offer like this. Do I have to know your dad? I could marry your sister! I'm like TOTALLY a "catch". I don't get it. The job seems so anonymous, and I never even knew it was a possibility. When you were 5, did someone say "look at that kid standing in the molten lava."? Then it was all set? I just don't get it. I bet I could beat you at some games sometimes. How come the Chinese get to meet you, and not me? I don't get it. Is it like I'm one of the nameless folks who get murdered when the bombers come to town? Is that who I am?

If you sent me to anywhere, they would say, sheesh, that guy is something else (in a good way). I imagine. I can make a stick out of nothing.

How the fuck does that kind of career happen to you?

I guess it all starts with going to college and taking a degree in Engineering.
A meaningful engineering BTW. No one gets anywhere with Colored Straws Engineering unless they're someone's son or husband.

It's not all good, though.

Maybe college->graduate school->doctorate->NASA->NIST->private sector helps some ;) Never too late to start. No family connections, just hard work in science, engineering and then small business.

And, no, it's not all good. Don't think that for a second.

Hey Mize, great tip!

Just wondering if you've had much success with this in more recent times?

I've got a 23h flight coming up and it would make the time go by a little easier if this works.

Mike

Hey Mize, great tip!

Just wondering if you've had much success with this in more recent times?

I've got a 23h flight coming up and it would make the time go by a little easier if this works.

Mike

Holy thread resurrection!
Haven't traveled much for a couple years but power outlets are quite common now, just check seatguru.com.

Holy thread resurrection!
Haven't traveled much for a couple years but power outlets are quite common now, just check seatguru.com.

haha yeh, it is quite the resurrection.

I will definitely have a power socket, I was just curious to know if the trick still works. I've read a couple of recent accounts from people that suggests the socket shuts down for the whole flight once you plug in something that draws too much power.

I'll let you know how I go in a couple of weeks unless someone else tries it before me!

Thanks for replying.

Back