What's the oldest console game you still have an interest in playing?

How old can a console game be before you lose interest?

• No older than current gen. Tech's moved on, and me with it

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Last gen. I still like playing the games from then

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Two gens back (PS1). There are some classics and I don't mind the chunky pixels

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Three or four gens. 8 or 16 bit, a good game is still a good game.

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • No limit. I'd happily spend a few hours pinging a dot across an oscilloscope scren

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I don't play games. How did I get on this forum again?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
I see need for a parallel poll to the other legacy gaming poll. Is there an age limit on games by which you really don't care to play it ever again? Anyone desperate to play Pong still? Anyone feel any games from last-gen are so ugly and cumbersome we're better off without them?

Last gen, only because there haven't been decent sequels. There's generally enough new stuff to keep me entertained.

for me its zero.
But if include PC, then theres lots of it.

SimCity4,
Freelancer
Left4Dead
Call of Duty 4
Portal

for very old game
MechWarrior series
MechCommander series
Command and Conquer series

for very very very old game
Another world
and a bunch other i have on GoG.

i dontknow why some games still good to be played so many years and some other i just stop after a few stage or after finishing once.

I would like to play through Metroid Prime again, I'm just too lazy to actually do it... That is my most wishful wish regarding old games. Then there's some old JRPGs, FF4 and 6 primarily, that I haven't played in a decade or more, that would be fun to re-visit. From 8-bit era, not so much, games were so damn simple by then and most were of the "twitch" gameplay variety wether it was shoot-em-up, platform jumping or whatever. My reaction time just isn't what it used to be - and my patience with uncompromising game design like touching an enemy with my little toe and dying as a result is even worse. :p

...So I don't expect to play much 8-bit stuff for the rest of my life.

NES , but only for mario.

Amiga: Lemmings, Xenon, Alien Breed

SNES and Megadrive would be the real console limit i guess, but we are talking classics when it gets so old.

N64/PSX there is more titles and it's being played, just bought Pilotwings and Waverace

PS2/XBOX/Dreamcast/Gamecube got them all, the Cube has seen real action with the kid, PS2 had been played with GTA games. The XBOX is never played, as is the Dreamcast, but i plan to get some classics for the dreamcast. like crazy taxi and fighter games.

On the PC there is a mountain of old games that is still worth playing, they tend to scale better since some of them do support higher res. The only issue can be to get them to work, and in the case of multiplayer games, find servers and support for setting server up.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, i don't play through every old game, i usually just re-visit and mess around with them and is surprised by how much they suck, or how great they still are, it differs.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are actually a number of older strategy games I would/still like to play. Some of them go back to the early 80's. Heck, I would probably play a couple of old Atari games if they were readily available.

I'll revisit some games for the Genesis and SNES from time to time. Once a year I replay all the primary Sonics on the Genesis from start to finish. I do the same with Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island on SNES. There's just something about these old platformers that still make their gameplay great to this day and hard to find in new experiences.

32 bit era I go back to all the time. There were some damn good games back then, but I do admit the graphics make it hard to swallow.

Sonic, you play them on CRT SDTV or LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED HDTV?

very old games seems have heavy image quality degradation when played on LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED HDTV but still looks nice on CRT SDTV.

I feel like plugging in my Intellivision, it has a top down racer that my son will enjoy, and you can build tracks.

Lots of Sierra games I have on floppy, along with Wing Commander.

Not much from last Gen though comes to mind, plenty from this Gen I will replay soon or finally finish.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Games like Blaster Master, Gunstar Heroes, Gaiares, Thunderforce, Earthworm Jim, Legacy of Kain ect. are still a blast for me to play.

I answered 'no limit' simply because I feel it is important to know how it all started.

Quite fascinated by how gaming has evolved but I am also in the field of human centered informatics.

i was actually helping my sister move last month and i found my old gba, it turned out she stole it years ago.

so i played through golden sun again.

its still totally awesome.

i tend to do that every few years, just replay old games i have kicking around. super c, diablo 2, code veronica, final fantasies, chrono trigger, the longest journey.

i heard they were remaking rise of the triad, so im prolly gonna fire up the old one, i havent played that in over 10 years lol.

I only really go back to the 8/16-bit era games. For me personally, those aged well, but I have no interest in the PS1/PS2 era games. I don't think those aged as well.

castlevania SOTN, colony wars for PS1.
Also thinking about replaying the LoK series sometime.
still 3D PS1 games are a pain to look at nowadays - most of them are looking horrible

And further back, but not on console, I occasionally play some Amiga games like Turrican and Moonstone - nice kickback to times where there existed computers with personality!

A good game is a good game. Try to tell me with me with a straight face that a 4 player game of Warlords on the 2600 with paddles isn't as fun today as it ever was or that a quick game of Pong doesn't satisfy a need for some basic twitch.

Cheers

Back