Doom 4 languishing in development hell; id internal management a shambles

I played it for a bit, but it felt very consoleitisy. Checkpoint saves, no command console or cheat codes, respawning enemies as soon as you turn your back; shit like that. And it had that irritating default unreal engine look to the lighting, making everything look kinda like plastic. Those were relatively minor niggles though, what made me lose interest was the way you had to pick up money and BUY upgrades...that totally just did not make sense to me.

...What am I here, a secret agent on an important mission, or a fucking tax collector? Sheesh!

I hate that unreal engine look too, the reason i get disinterested as soon as I come to know that a game is using unreal engine 3. As for Wolf 2009, I played the demo on my ps3 and it seemed pretty fun with. The zero grav gameplay and old school feel. Can't speak for the whole game though.

As for Doom4, I freaking still play Doom3(+sikkmod) every day , so I want my Doom4 ! You listen to that Id !! I want my Doom 4. :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: !

id Software 'Pushing Boundaries,' Focusing Only on Doom 4

Willits smiles and dances around any questions regarding the future of “the new project” -- he never says Doom. “We focused everybody. All hands on deck.” It is the only major project at id Software today. Willits says the team’s “cut distractions out,” and focusing hard on the next thing. “If you have everyone marching to the same drummer, you can get places.”

Presently, both id and Bethesda assure that the new game is well on its way to realizing a more cohesive, careful vision.

It wasn't scrapped, and they're supposedly focused in it.

At this point they should make it a PS4/XB1/PC title and just abandon the X360/PS3. Their current tech would simply shine there; it could have greater texel per inch density, dynamic specular, maybe even fully dynamic lighting. And with Doom they could avoid the large scale outdoor environments that take soo long to uniquely texture.
More importantly perhaps, Rage has demonstrated quite well that their gameplay dynamics are still very enjoyable, so the foundations of a new Doom game are already strong. And they could also bring back the flood of enemies ;)

It wasn't scrapped, and they're supposedly focused in it.
Of course it wasn't scrapped, why would id ever scrap a doom game? It's fricken DOOM for chrissakes! :D

At this point they should make it a PS4/XB1/PC title and just abandon the X360/PS3.
You'll hear no arguments from me, but I'm not sure the moneyhats at bethsoft agrees, unfortunately! PS360 market is quite enormous at this late stage, so you can be fairly sure they'll still develop the game with those two old clunkers in mind, even though there's no way in hell the game will be out ahead of PS4/xbone release day...

And with Doom they could avoid the large scale outdoor environments that take soo long to uniquely texture.
Didn't id say that there's quite a bit of texture tiling in Rage, despite the megatexture tech...? Anyway, a game with mixed indoors and outdoors environments is fully within Doom scope, a number of Doom/II levels were largely outdoors. It's just Doom3/RoE that was almost exclusively an indoors affair.

More importantly perhaps, Rage has demonstrated quite well that their gameplay dynamics are still very enjoyable
Oh yes indeed. Rage was a hell of an enjoyable game when not car racing, IMO. It was FPS shooting at its very best. I did buy a 360 pad for my PC not too long ago though, so maybe I could get through the races with my mind intact, I dunno. :) I'm itching to actually play all the way through Rage, I've just not actually dedicated myself to it yet...

And they could also bring back the flood of enemies ;)
Yeah, computers of today can absolutely handle it, unlike ten years ago with Doom3.

I played it for a bit, but it felt very consoleitisy. Checkpoint saves, no command console or cheat codes, respawning enemies as soon as you turn your back; shit like that. And it had that irritating default unreal engine look to the lighting, making everything look kinda like plastic. Those were relatively minor niggles though, what made me lose interest was the way you had to pick up money and BUY upgrades...that totally just did not make sense to me.

...What am I here, a secret agent on an important mission, or a fucking tax collector? Sheesh!

It used IDtech 4, FWIW.

I think Grall is getting mixed up with Ravens other game that came out a year later Singularity which did use the unreal engine and was very good imho

PS360 market is quite enormous at this late stage, so you can be fairly sure they'll still develop the game with those two old clunkers in mind, even though there's no way in hell the game will be out ahead of PS4/xbone release day...

I don't expect it before Q4 2014, at which time the new systems will be at least a year old. With the PC port on top, it should be a big enough market.
Also, id should capitalize on their existing megatexture based engine as soon as possible, before other companies catch up. Not to mention being one of the early FPS titles on the new sytems.
Edit: the reason is that they will probably have to redo a LOT of content for the nextgen systems - levels, characters and that already covers like 90% of the assets. They might end up rewriting some of the story too, so it might be close to a complete reboot and in that case even 2014 is not guaranteed. honestly, they should start a marketing campaign at least at the E3 of the release year, so if we don't see anything at the next show then it might end up a 2015 release.

The new Wolfenstein should take care of the PS360 generation sales wise.

Didn't id say that there's quite a bit of texture tiling in Rage, despite the megatexture tech...?

Not sure what you mean... They do start with repeating textures in the editor, but then come the stamps to make each scene unique.

Anyway, a game with mixed indoors and outdoors environments is fully within Doom scope, a number of Doom/II levels were largely outdoors. It's just Doom3/RoE that was almost exclusively an indoors affair.

The reason they shouldn't focus on outdoors is to maximize texel density within the game world. Without a vehicle, they won't need several dozen square miles of canyons and such, so they can make a more efficient use of disk space (the use of BR in the X1 also helps there). Nonetheless, do expect large city areas based on the leaked content.

Although I'd still love to see id embrace the art style of Wayne Barlowe's Inferno.
google images
It is remarkably similar to Doom1/2's art style if you can see past the huge pixels in the game. The way color is used, the spaces, even the creatures, it's actually closer to Doom than the Dante's Inferno game that was supposed to be based on it.

Oh yes indeed. Rage was a hell of an enjoyable game when not car racing, IMO.

It doesn't get nearly enough credit for that. After all the cover based shooting established by COD and Gears, it was refreshing... Yeah, Halo is like this too, but their dynamics are very different and the weapons added a nice flair too. Particularly the exploding ammo for the shotgun :)

I'm itching to actually play all the way through Rage, I've just not actually dedicated myself to it yet...

I'd really like to say that the endgame is worth it, but unfortunately I can't do that :(

That interview seems to suggest that they are basically rebooting Doom 4. If so, we will have to wait a loooong time before we see something. In a way its good as the leaked renders didn't really have the Doom mood to them. I want dark, with soft dynamic shadows, realtime GI......like Doom 3 with sikkmod but with next gen detail !

Where's my Thor's hammer?

I just hope that after they've completed Doom 4, they go back and finish Quake 1 ('s original idea). With the current technology, the game could be great.

A full walkthrough of the new Wolfenstien demo. These guys seem to be preserving the old school feel well. Hope ID takes notes.

@IST: wasn't wolf 2009 unreal engine 3 based? I played a demo on the ps3 n it sure looked like unreal 3.

That Wolfenstein gameplay demo doesn't excite me much. Looks like another console corridor shooter and not a very good one at that. Taking very basic gameplay with heavy scripting for "exciting" moments where you would obviously be killed easily.

Gfrankly, having watched it again, I think RAGE does old school in modern shooter better than this new Wolfenstein.

Rage is one of the best shooters, but that is hardly surprising. The rest of the game play elements in it just are not that great. The subway level was great, dead city was great the finale I admit was terrible, but otherwise... (and the finale was actually good from a story perspective, the gameplay just absolutely sucked).

Back