Doom 4 languishing in development hell; id internal management a shambles

Yeah, PK was just a hodge-podge, and I personally would much rather have preferred a more connected series of levels to the storyline, but some of the levels were REALLY cool. Boss battles were gimmicky as hell though and I pretty much hated all of them.

Maybe something like Terminator Future Shock which had huge, dark, foreboding maps with vehicles along with exploration elements. Throw in some "fighting with the human resistance against the evil hellspawn" vibe. Keep it entirely first-person. Hire the Mooze guy who did the STALKER soundtrack. ;)

Yeah, PK was just a hodge-podge, and I personally would much rather have preferred a more connected series of levels to the storyline, but some of the levels were REALLY cool. Boss battles were gimmicky as hell though and I pretty much hated all of them.

Yeah like I said with the exception of the final one (it might only have been in black edition) I did not really like the boss battles, but I never do. They are pretty dumb and I don't know why we have them (can I blame id and Quake1 there as well ;) )

I really did not mind the hodge podge, or the poor story b/c PK was simply fun. I like games that are fun, someone else can grind.

I find that Doom 1&2 / Serious Sam / Painkiller / Duke / etc are a lot of fun for a few hours but I get bored of the formula. I've never actually beaten the games. I did manage to beat Hard Reset, probably because it's short and I liked the setting.

I find that Doom 1&2 / Serious Sam / Painkiller / Duke / etc are a lot of fun for a few hours but I get bored of the formula. I've never actually beaten the games. I did manage to beat Hard Reset, probably because it's short and I liked the setting.

I personally never understood the apeal of these type of games. To me they feel like endless circle-strafing shoot reload repeatedly untill the level is over. Even the original Doom I find rather dull. I was amazed the first time I played it, granted, but every time I pick it up nowadays I find it boring. But I hear many people saying they still love it, I just don´t know what they find fun in that game.

No!
You don't have to reload in these games :)

Doom 1&2 (well, Doom 2 seems better) are peculiar though because these were keyboard games, you play them with the . and ; keys (; and : on azerty) to strafe, and they're about exploring the map and listening to the music too.
The artwork was insanely great too. Then there are some tactical aspects in which monsters to take down first, conserving ammo and using monster infighting, gutting the pain elemental with the chainsaw or berserk etc.
Also, some levels are beatable when starting them with the pistol (but not all) I think it would be awesome if you had a game where you started with the pistol and knuckles at each level. Handwave it as it being a "mission based" game like Goldeneye on N64 or Dark Forces were, or provide no explanation. Have two or three difficulty levels : cakewalk, normal and challenging.

Hell, we had Quake 1 as a 3D FPS that was almost there but lacked a bit variety and challenge. Maybe we need enemies that fire homing rockets and others who spam dozens of fireballs. Also, the Arch-e-vile in doom2 was a really dangerous enemy.. this game had bosses as regular monsters too.

I personally never understood the apeal of these type of games. To me they feel like endless circle-strafing shoot reload repeatedly untill the level is over. Even the original Doom I find rather dull. I was amazed the first time I played it, granted, but every time I pick it up nowadays I find it boring. But I hear many people saying they still love it, I just don´t know what they find fun in that game.

Honestly I can't say they are like that unless they are poorly done. And I have to admit some of serious sam felt that way and I got bored. Painkiller had very nice pacing and variety to keep it interesting. That is the hodge podge I was talking about.

The artwork was insanely great too.
I was never really terribly fond of Doom's texture work; it was stylish in its own way but a lot of it was muddy and brown (partly due to the ultra-low resolution of the era of course, since the whole game fit into 4MB RAM; Doom II needed 8 to run smoothly), but the monsters were truly great IMO. I think they were scanned physical models.

gutting the pain elemental with the chainsaw or berserk etc.
Cacodemons could also be stunlocked pretty easy with the chainsaw (or chaingun for that matter).

Hell, we had Quake 1 as a 3D FPS that was almost there but lacked a bit variety and challenge.
Quake was too brown. Also, not enough monster variety, and all the graphics was extremely crude. Modern games use more polys just for the hero model than what was in an entire Quake level... Never really got into Quake, it had a cool backstory that was a bit chthuhlu-inspired, but there was zero story built into the levels themselves so the backstory was basically just fluff and a BS excuse to kill lots of monsters.

I was never really terribly fond of Doom's texture work; it was stylish in its own way but a lot of it was muddy and brown (partly due to the ultra-low resolution of the era of course, since the whole game fit into 4MB RAM; Doom II needed 8 to run smoothly), but the monsters were truly great IMO.

You're right about Quake being brown but DOOM was not brown at all, it was colourful as hell (pun intended). You had red skies, green slime, pink skin walls, blue floors, green fireballs, bone fences, green marble, red/yellow/blue torches! DOOM II was a little less colourful since it was set on earth but the levels that showed the demonic influence recaptured the original DOOM's colour palette.

Oh, I find playing Doom today a little boring, but the style of the game still hasn't worn out. Those levels had some sort of modern gothic architecture that really felt original. I'd say I feel like levels of doom seem like churches. They don't resemble any actual place besides a doom level, they have huge tall walls and very wide-open spaces that leave a strong impression on the player. And the midi tunes also made the music much more creepy and scary than if it was actually orchestrated in my opinon.

midi with high quality sound fonts to this day still can sound f***ing awesome. Just such a shame windows 7 makes them such a pain to use.

Have to agree, because midi is essentially sheet music you can do amazing things with it like dynamic music

midi with high quality sound fonts to this day still can sound f***ing awesome. Just such a shame windows 7 makes them such a pain to use.

I heard you need a small "midi output switch" software such as this one http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Vista-MIDI-Picker.shtml
because Microsoft removed midi related GUI sections after XP.
I used "twsynth" under XP, dunno if it works under vista/7/8 and on 64bit Windows.

On linux it's worse. You have to use fluidsynth and not timidity, you have to start the synth everytime using a GUI (qsynth) and then I failed to get prboom talk to the midi synth but could configure dosbox to use it.
So I ended up running the DOS version of doom2 in 2013 and had subtle slowdown in big areas as if I were on a real 486 :)

Yup.

Edit: Not that Hellraiser and the original story it's based off of The Hellbound Heart, are bad. Indeed, I love them, but Clive has done better.

Back