Disney shuts down LucasArts

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
If they put Bioware doing a Knights of the Old Republic (not another MMO brainfart) and DICE another Battlefront, both just sticking to the formula and without too much DRM stupidity, then Disney might have made the right choice after all.

I don't know what exactly can Visceral do for the franchise since I don't think a survival horror would fit the Star Wars universe at all. Maybe they can pick up 1313?

Considering that Disney retained the rights to produce online games, Bioware is only going to be able to make single player SW RPGs.

You know how DICE could overthrow COD? Star Wars Battlefield.

Not a bad idea at all, if you ask me ... Even just having a completely different theme for a shooter like that would help me be interested.

I'm not sure I want another Bioware cover-based shooter interactive movie experience.

I'm not sure I want another Bioware cover-based shooter interactive movie experience.

Which is why I said they'll be successful if they just stick to KOTOR's formula.
Or Dragon Age 2's at least.

No game should follow Dragon Age 2's formula... NO GAME. That game had so many terrible design decisions. That said, its gameplay mechanics would probably work ok with a SW game, heck even some of the ridiculous combat animations would work better in a SW game than in a fantasy game.

I doubt we'll end up with a cover shooter because cover and light sabre fighting doesn't make much sense, but I don't think they'll be able to resist not making an interactive movie experience. I foresee a game sort of like Mass Effect 2 or 3, not one like KOTOR 1 or 2. Oh also, the Dark Side path will be really terribly written with the character doing random acts of violence and just being generally nasty to people for no good reason.

Apparently I don't have much faith that Bioware will make a great game... probably only a good game.

Isn't that what Star Wars 1313 was essentially going to be?

No game should follow Dragon Age 2's formula... NO GAME.

Oh dear GOD NO!. Dragon Age 2 sucked in so many godawful ways. And that after such a fantastic game in DAO.

Now, a Star Wars game that was like DAO might actually get me to consider buying a game made by Bioware again, assuming they allowed it to be sold on Steam. :p

Regards,
SB

I liked Origins more, but I definitely enjoyed Dragon Age II quite a lot. :yep2:

Also, to intimidate and strike fear in subordinates, express displeasure with failure, and so on.

Its being filmed in Britain so I guess its going to rain in a galaxy far far away lol

Whoops wrong thread

I doubt we'll ever see as much as a tentacle eye of jar-jar's again (or any other gungan-schmungan for that matter), considering how universally hated that abomination is.

Of course they'd declare the EU non-canon, how couldn't they? Fifty-eleven million comics and novels, most of them not even any damn good anyway... It'd be a hell of a mess trying to make sense of things, and Chewbacca DEAD? Yeah, that'd be a real hit with the moviegoing public who haven't the first bit of interest in any of those crummy novels and comics in the first place.

I doubt we'll ever see as much as a tentacle eye of jar-jar's again (or any other gungan-schmungan for that matter), considering how universally hated that abomination is.

Of course they'd declare the EU non-canon, how couldn't they? Fifty-eleven million comics and novels, most of them not even any damn good anyway... It'd be a hell of a mess trying to make sense of things, and Chewbacca DEAD? Yeah, that'd be a real hit with the moviegoing public who haven't the first bit of interest in any of those crummy novels and comics in the first place.

I get that they would prefer to make the new movies based on a story that hasn't been released to the public yet, but why the need to make everything non-canon?

The KOTOR games happen 3000 years before the movies, what would be the problem in declaring them a legit precursor to the original movies?

I can only surmise that they don't want to feel limited by what has been already established, even if it was 3000 years ago or not. It just makes things easier overall to write the whole lot off rather than pick and choose and try to cobble something working together.

Besides, most moviegoers haven't played the KOTOR games anyway, so there's no genuine loss in any case. Heck, I'm a gamer and starwars fan and I haven't played any of the KOTOR games...

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

So not only did Disney shut down LucasArts but now every single game, novel and comic is declared non-canon from now on.

Jar Jar stays, Revan and Bastilla from KOTOR go away.

Disney boardroom based declarations are non-canon. I say declarations outside of the creator George Lucas himself are non-canon. Hes the creator... and a cfo with a pie chart influencing a board of directors who are looking to recoup the 4 Billion they spent purchasing Luasfilms have very little say in declaring the ENTIRE universe non-canon.

Because a boardroom of Disney execs made a callous decision based on what will make them the most money at the expense of the franchise as a whole, doesn't mean we have to suffer for it or accept their destructivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back