Battlefield 4 : Prepare 4 battle !

So you've judged BF3's (and 4's) single player to not be worth playing without ever having played it?

I watched some Youtube vids of it and realized it was more of the same as BFBC2 so why waste time with it that could be spent playing multiplayer?

In Battelfied Bad Company, the single player was functionally very similar to the multiplayer due to the sandbox nature of it. It also was well written, funny and most importantly fun to play. It also used the same mechanics as multiplayer so play in it was transferable to multiplayer.

In BFBC2 (and BF3 based on reviews + youtube) the two components are entirely different games. BFBC2's writing was abysmal and swapped BFBC's rollicking humour for an ultra bland corridor shooter. BFBC2 single player was terrible enough (especially after the solid BFBC) that watching some Youtube vids was enough to let me know it was a waste of my time to fire it up on BF3. I did try out the co-op on BF3 but it was also pretty weak though at least stuck with the multiplayer mechanics unlike single player.

I've put hundreds of hours into BFBC2 and BF3 multiplayer and I don't have to play the latest single player iteration to question why it is taking up development resources in what is primarily a multiplayer game.

Cheers

Do I remember wrong or DICE said that Frostbite 2 was ready for the next generation? o_O

If so, why a new engine, then?

Well DICE explain it saying: "Like Frostbite 2 was tailored to Battlefield 3, Frostbite 3 is now tailored to deliver Battlefield 4."

the demo was running on Radeon HD 7990

Battlefield 4 Demo Ran on AMD Radeon HD 7990 'Malta' Video Card
AMD announced this morning that last nights demonstration of Battlefield 4 was powered by the AMD Radeon HD 7990 'Malta' video card! AMD also goes on to say that the AMD Radeon HD 7990 is the worlds fastest video card, which might get some people over at NVIDIA upset as the card isn't for sale just yet!

Based on this news we can assume safely that Battlefield 4 will be an AMD game title

AMD and EA DICE are proud partners in gaming, with a recent history that includes the award-winning Battlefield 3 in 2011. That relationship continues today with the world’s first public demonstration of Battlefield 4, powered by the AMD Radeon HD 7990—the world’s fastest graphics card! Today’s unveiling not only demonstrates the commitment EA DICE makes to state-of-the-art PC graphics, it stands as further proof that the critically-acclaimed Graphics Core Next architecture in the AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series is the best choice for truly advanced PC games.
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/15327/

Hope it will be in 60 fps as the rumors say. Bf3 ha so terrible input lag it ruined it for me

Also gotta say I think it looks awesome! And this is a first gen game!! Next gen is going to be awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY looking forward to this game, not for sp but for mp. All I hope for is no console exclusivity stuff for next gen. *crosses fingers*

Won't even care until they show MP footage. Just like BF3, I won't touch SP. Wish it was just a MP game and all that time and resources were focused on MP.
Hell yes to this! DICE needs to just give up on the whole SP campaign thing. They are laughably terrible at it.

Stick to MP, which will be excellent for a few months until DICE gets schizophrenic
and tries to "balance" the game play.

The comparison with KZ SF is out of place.
The two demos are running on different hardware at a different resolution and we saw too little about KZ.
Not to mention that lighting, sound design are approached diffidently by DICE and GG since BF 4 is a military FPS and SF is a sci-fi FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
KZ SF looks pretty good but BF4 looks far better in overall detail, texture quality, lighting, sound design, draw distance, particle effects etc.

From what I can observe KZ is rendering tons more polygons at least in that city sprawl, just so much more buildings, objects, flying cars and the draw distance is far greater. Lighting wise I don't know which part in BF4 looks better though, it doesn't even have volumetric light shaft. Particle effects are more or less a wash, both have plenty of thick plume of smokes on screen and nice bloom on the fire. But I guess that big oil rig explosion is more well animated. There are some dodgy texture work in BF4 if you look at the vehicle. I can say the destruction in BF4 is definitely something special, it's got that Bad Company 2 physics back again.

The game was running at 3k/60fps by the way on a 7990, I guess it should run just fine on a PS4 at 1080p/60fps with that graphics setting.

From what I can observe KZ is rendering tons more polygons at least in that city sprawl, just so much more buildings, objects, flying cars and the draw distance is far greater. Lighting wise I don't know which part in BF4 looks better though, it doesn't even have volumetric light shaft. Particle effects are more or less a wash, both have plenty of thick plume of smokes on screen and nice bloom on the fire. But I guess that big oil rig explosion is more well animated. There are some dodgy texture work in BF4 if you look at the vehicle. I can say the destruction in BF4 is definitely something special, it's got that Bad Company 2 physics back again.

No offence but I think any attempt to compare specific features between the two is mostly just BS. There's far too much going on in the scene to simply pick on one aspect and say "that's missing" or "that looks better" and the declare one game technically superior to the other. Graphics technology has gotten to the point now were there will be little to pick between high end games on next gen platforms aside from subjective artistic preference, image quality and frame rate. Physics/interactive environments could also be an objective differentiating factor too, although we don't know enough about either game to compare them on that basis yet.

No offence but I think any attempt to compare specific features between the two is mostly just BS. There's far too much going on in the scene to simply pick on one aspect and say "that's missing" or "that looks better" and the declare one game technically superior to the other. Graphics technology has gotten to the point now were there will be little to pick between high end games on next gen platforms aside from subjective artistic preference, image quality and frame rate. Physics/interactive environments could also be an objective differentiating factor too, although we don't know enough about either game to compare them on that basis yet.

Just throwing my 2c around, of course no one can be certain of those things to 100% accuracy. They're both amazing looking in their own ways.

The game was running at 3k/60fps by the way on a 7990, I guess it should run just fine on a PS4 at 1080p/60fps with that graphics setting.

It would take 2.56x more power to run the game at 3K compared with 1080p. The 7990 could be achieving real world performance in excess of 2.56x Orbis so I don't think 1080p/60fps on Orbis can be concluded from this.

Plus hasn't it already been confirmed to be running at 720p on Orbis? 3K requires 5.76x more power than 720p and the 7990 certainly doesn't have that advantage over the PS4 hence making 720/60fps definitely achievable.

After BF 4 reveal DICE has been very elusive about the PS4/Xbox versions.
Even when asked directly they didn't say a word.
BF 4 running at 720p 60fps on next-gen is a rumor not confirmed by DICE...for now.

It would take 2.56x more power to run the game at 3K compared with 1080p. The 7990 could be achieving real world performance in excess of 2.56x Orbis so I don't think 1080p/60fps on Orbis can be concluded from this.

Plus hasn't it already been confirmed to be running at 720p on Orbis? 3K requires 5.76x more power than 720p and the 7990 certainly doesn't have that advantage over the PS4 hence making 720/60fps definitely achievable.
Call me blind but even if it takes 3x Orbis to render it at 3k, when you drop down to 1080p res wouldn't that perfectly suit Orbis since 1080p is 1/3 of 3k in pixel density?

Call me blind but even if it takes 3x Orbis to render it at 3k, when you drop down to 1080p res wouldn't that perfectly suit Orbis since 1080p is 1/3 of 3k in pixel density?

It's 39% the pixel density which means to run at the same framerate with the same graphics would require Orbis to be 39% as powerful as the 7990 (in real world terms). Which it likely isn't. Obviously that's not accounting for further optimisation of code, the fact that resolution increases don't scale as linearly as that, or how utilised the 7990 was to achieve 60fps. In reality what we have so far doesn't tell us much but my point is we can't automatically take from it that 1080p/60fps is possible on Orbis. However we can derive 720p/60fps being entirely possible from what we've seen.

Back