Battlefield 4 : Prepare 4 battle !

All the scripted parts have a much higher quality than before:oops:

Is repi around to give info on the specs running it?

I think that they should add an animation for entering, exiting vehicles.
Maybe it's just me but I think teleporting into the driver's seat it's very awkward and dated.

The lighting is also very impressive IMO.

So here we are in Battlefield 4. And the big news for now is, the single player has been completely re-thought. EA DICE knows it did the wrong thing in the previous game, aping the corridor-based, super-linear antics expounded in Call of Duty. Instead, the campaign action is going to reflect the open, emergent feel of multiplayer.

Is that why the gameplay looks more like COD than ever? Nothing but scripted and linear

Wow looks mighty impressive, the particle effect in this game is pretty insane. I wonder how close PS4 version would come close to this.

Parts look good, it looks very good, but like Shadowfall it's less than I expected for next gen. Perhaps this software is still too early to fully exploit next gen hardware.

I hope the rumor (meaning I guess, some neogaffer speculating lol) of this getting a Durango reveal on Apr 26 is true. I guess it would make sense since I believe EA skipped the PS4 show.

The game looks more and more like CoD :/
small corridor, heavyli scripted event.
btw the worst offender is the QTE. Its still there...

Luckily the blue tint seems already gone now.

Parts look good, it looks very good, but like Shadowfall it's less than I expected for next gen. Perhaps this software is still too early to fully exploit next gen hardware.

I hope the rumor (meaning I guess, some neogaffer speculating lol) of this getting a Durango reveal on Apr 26 is true. I guess it would make sense since I believe EA skipped the PS4 show.
For launch titles I'm more than content but of course the 2nd or 3rd wave should really blow those two out of the water. Heck KZSF was even developed with 1.5gb of ram yet the city sprawl still looks better than anything right now. I just hope this game is 1080p at least on consoles.

kz:sf is more good looking than bf4 but it doesnt have dat facial and body animations .

Guerrilla Games handles animation in a different way compared to DICE and a key word in KZ is "weight"
BF has weight as well but it's a lighter, faster FPS than KZ.
The soldiers in BF 4 are very nimble (amazing "foot/leg work" here) less so in Killzone but it is intended.
Both games have believable animations but DICE opts for more realistic animation while GG opts for "choreographic" animations, pass me the expression.
Movement speed, camera, mobility, reloading, melee are really catered differently by these devs and in meaningful ways.
I personally think both DICE and GG are the best in what they do.
Both approaches to animation are to be praised but it's hard to say who's better when so much is about "style" rather than "technique".

Also as ultragpu said we didn't see enough of SF to comment on facial animations; based on GG previous work it's not hard to imagine excellent facial animations for SF as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very impressed by this demo. To me this looked beyond anything out there so far. I was worried there wasn't going to be any game at the beggining of ps4 gen capable of showing-off significant fidelity improvement over the best games on current consoles. None of the next-gen games showed so far seemed better enough for me. Deep down was close, but wasn't playable. This to me is a true-next gen leap. If it end up looking just like that in ps4 and playing at stable 60fps as rumored that is, ( let's not forget to be a little skeptical right )
It showed impressive lighting, specially in the building interiours with lighting relying heavily on Global Illumination. I wonder how that plays out with the highly dynamic environments, I guess this is gonna be the first game to really show what Enlighten's engine is capable of.
Animation was great, textures were amazingly detailed, and there were all sorts of props all over the place. A very varied set of objects on the environment, and in huge numbers. Great post, great particles. Everything was above what we are used to see in real time games.
But most importantly, this felt to me like proof of the importance of great graphics, animation and sound, and the artistic value of going realistic.
This is still some silly militaristic shooter with a story that probably won't go beyond the usual themes of exitment, fear, comradery, courage and so on. But those scenes were you are interacting with your mates, be the opening one at the sub, or when they talk inside the first building, it felt very immersive and powerfull. And exept for the graphics, it didn't do anything other games hadn't before. Those are typical modern shooter campaign moments, you and your palls in a tough moment, and the emotion really only works if the game can really make you feel like you are there. Half Life did that with less then a tenth of the graphical fidelity, and it felt amazing at the time, but the improved visual do heighten up the experience a lot, or at least I felt that way. Graphics (and sound) are not just a gimmick here, they are an important piece of creating the mood and selling that moment to the player. Watching this made me feel like the first unvealing of HL2 footage. Promise of a game so realistic you believe you are there. Sure when we play it we will find many shortcomings, but games sure are evolving. This apeased me a little bit.

Won't even care until they show MP footage. Just like BF3, I won't touch SP. Wish it was just a MP game and all that time and resources were focused on MP.

Let's get past the Killzone comparisons ok?

my biggest beef with BF3....and now BF4...

why are the models..environments..everything... still so low polys? ...limitations of FrostBite Engine? Where's dat tessellation?

I could not agree more RobertR1. The single player game at this point seems to only exist for the purpose of supplying promo material for advertisments.

It's sad as Battfield Bad Company's single player game was great . . . sandbox + environmental destruction was so much fun. After experiencing the lame single player in BFBC2 I never even bothered firing it up in BF3.

Cheers

I could not agree more RobertR1. The single player game at this point seems to only exist for the purpose of supplying promo material for advertisments.

It's sad as Battfield Bad Company's single player game was great . . . sandbox + environmental destruction was so much fun. After experiencing the lame single player in BFBC2 I never even bothered firing it up in BF3.

Cheers

So you've judged BF3's (and 4's) single player to not be worth playing without ever having played it?

So you've judged BF3's (and 4's) single player to not be worth playing without ever having played it?

Like Robert, I couldn't care less about the SP. I just want the multiplayer to be great. I really want to see what the multiplayer looks like. Hopefully they saw my tweet and add velocipedes and high-wheel bicycles.

Back