[Allegedly Leaked]Battlefield 4 Sticks 720P/60 FPS on Next-Gen Consoles

lets hope the random weather is synced between players.

its annoying on BFBC2 where i see nothing due to dust, but enemy see me clearly because on their POV there are no dust.

repeatable by sniping long range with sniper scope. Dust not appear if sniping with another gun like handgun, AT4, etc.

If this is true then it's another good reason to go for Killzone Shadow Fall instead.
1080p 30fps is for me preferable to 720p 60fps.

If both PS4 and Durango run it at 720p/60fps despite the power difference, then what gives? Would one system have worse detail or one system being held back? Sorry I just had to go there.

Again I'd much prefer 1080p/30fps for maximum clarity and effects. Upgraded to a 65" Bravia HX955 for the nextgen consoles and was hoping 1080p becomes the norm.

Exactly, same for me. If you have a good screen, you don't want it polluted with 720p content...

Sure anything is possible. But 25% faster (PS4 over PC) with a much weaker CPU? That's basically saying the PS4 is just as fast as a top of the line PC with a 7950 (~60 FPS in that same review). I don't so. :)

But aren't most PC games not that well optimised for multicore CPUs? I mean what percentage of CPU utilisation is a title like BF3 at on an i7, I doubt it'd be the same as a game running on Xenon or Cell.

BF3 really need CPU on PC.

When the CPU too busy, it will starting to delete sound processing one by one. Engine sound, missile warning sound, etc then finally all muted.

Exactly, same for me. If you have a good screen, you don't want it polluted with 720p content...

Welcome to reality. There will be many many sub-1080p games, and if you didn't read forums where people do pixel counting, you probably wouldn't even notice.

60Hz for Battlefield 4 will be a huge improvement. It's primary game mode is online competitive, and it's twitch based. Also, they can go heavy on the destruction, and if the framerate is not locked, there is a lot of room before the reach slideshow territory.

If this is true then it's another good reason to go for Killzone Shadow Fall instead. 1080p 30fps is for me preferable to 720p 60fps.
I wouldn't think that resolution will be the deciding factor for most people. Battlefield is a totally different game than Killzone, unless you only play the single player.

I think going 720p and 60fps is the best decision they could make. Long as it is native 720p, and has some form of AA it will look fantastic. Being 60fps will make it a much more responsive game, especially in multiplayer.

Nothing would make me happier. It's the smartest thing for developers to do next gen. 1080p isn't worth it over making the game play and look more amazing at a perfectly good resolution of 720p and with 60fps.

Welcome to reality. There will be many many sub-1080p games, and if you didn't read forums where people do pixel counting, you probably wouldn't even notice.

60Hz for Battlefield 4 will be a huge improvement. It's primary game mode is online competitive, and it's twitch based. Also, they can go heavy on the destruction, and if the framerate is not locked, there is a lot of room before the reach slideshow territory.

Sorry scott, but I do not agree. At least, every console generation brought a general increase of resolution. Lots of games are 720p on PS360. So if we get 720p BF4...there is simple no progress and that is dissapointed. I know that some games this gen had super low resolution (ps3 the darkness?!) but were still higher than last gen. So, reality is that substantial sub 1080p, which 720p is in my opinion, would be dissapointing in the sense of the ps3 the darkness resolution and I do not expect this from one of the most technical capable devs around!

Furthermore, I clearly recognize the difference of 720 and 1080 on my screen, I promise you that you will see the difference as well. I did lots of test with my gaming PC and it is obvious. Played PC 1080 all time, until GoWA on PS3...which was super jarring in the first hour, although lots of forumites praise this game for its high IQ.

I wonder the following: if devs want to crank up the detail level of the graphics, e.g. texture and shader detail...720p will clearly limit them due to the artifacts. I don't want to have super high details...where the whole image is jagged and constantly shimmering.

In conclusion: I vote 1080p.

Furthermore, lets not forget that it is not 1080p or 60Hz. This is per se not an exclusive festure. It is in the hands of the devs to deliver both, 1080p and 60Hz. In my test with PC, I am much less sensitive to actual quality of certain effects (medium or high setting is often good enough, no very high needed) which cost lots of performance to maintain framerate at 1080p.

So if they showed you Battlefield 4 running at 1080p60 and then listed all of the things they had to remove to get it to run that way vs 1080p30 or 720p60, you're sure you'd be ok with that? How can you even make that judgement call when no one has seen the game yet?

So if they showed you Battlefield 4 running at 1080p60 and then listed all of the things they had to remove to get it to run that way vs 1080p30 or 720p60, you're sure you'd be ok with that? How can you even make that judgement call when no one has seen the game yet?

I do not know.

But you are doing the same judgement. You are calling me stupid/unrealistic for being dissapointed if BF4 goes 720p. How can you even make that judgment call when no one...

I do not know.

But you are doing the same judgement. You are calling me stupid/unrealistic for being dissapointed if BF4 goes 720p. How can you even make that judgment call when no one...

I've never called you stupid. And I'm not saying you can't prefer 1080p30 to 720p60. I'm just saying expecting every game to run at 1080p this gen is not at all realistic. Some games will stray further from 1080p than others, depending on what they're trying to do. It will be exactly the same situation as this gen with 720p. Some games were exactly 720p and others were well short of it. There will always be situations where devs feel compromises in terms of resolution are worth it.

As for 1080p60, I think it's not very likely to happen often because the sacrifices they'd have to make to get there would be too great.

I've never called you stupid. And I'm not saying you can't prefer 1080p30 to 720p60. I'm just saying expecting every game to run at 1080p this gen is not at all realistic. Some games will stray further from 1080p than others, depending on what they're trying to do. It will be exactly the same situation as this gen with 720p. Some games were exactly 720p and others were well short of it. There will always be situations where devs feel compromises in terms of resolution are worth it.

As for 1080p60, I think it's not very likely to happen often because the sacrifices they'd have to make to get there would be too great.

Ok Scott, I see, thanks for the clarification. Well, actually I do fully agree with this post of yours!

I've had a "good screen" since 2008 (professionally calibrated Pioneer Kuro 151). 720p content with good artstyle and effects has looked great on it. I can't imagine what 720p content with all the bells and whistles from the power of the new consoles would look like.

Resolution is just one part of the IQ and one with diminishing returns thus my 4K comment earlier.

As with every gen, there will be a resource budget that everyone will have to work with. I personally hope that budget is used to show me enhancements in gameplay (AI, animations, particles, physics, more players on map, destruction, etc) than aiming for a resolution checkbox.

If a developer such as DICE feels that in order to provide the gameplay experience they want, they need to keep the resolution low, I'd like to see the community to wait and see the results before bringing out the pitch forks.

CoD is a perfect example of a game that said "FUCK YOU" to the spec whores and forum goers and focused on what they believe would deliver the best experience. I want to see more of that.

If specs are your end all, build a gaming PC and knock yourself out.

I'm not picking on you Billy, it's just that shit gets old every gen when corporate mouthpieces start spec hyping and enthusiast can't look past it.

As someone who also has a gaming pc attached to a half decent tv (50" 1080p from around 12 feet away) I fully agree with Billy, the difference between 720p and 1080p is surprisingly noticable. Ive done a lot of testing on this due to the trade off of 720p / 60fps or 1080p / 30fps using 3d via hdmi and despite really appreciating 60fps, id choose 1080p every time due to what I personally see as a severe loss of image quality.

Sorry scott, but I do not agree. At least, every console generation brought a general increase of resolution. Lots of games are 720p on PS360. So if we get 720p BF4...there is simple no progress and that is dissapointed. I know that some games this gen had super low resolution (ps3 the darkness?!) but were still higher than last gen. So, reality is that substantial sub 1080p, which 720p is in my opinion, would be dissapointing in the sense of the ps3 the darkness resolution and I do not expect this from one of the most technical capable devs around!

Furthermore, I clearly recognize the difference of 720 and 1080 on my screen, I promise you that you will see the difference as well. I did lots of test with my gaming PC and it is obvious. Played PC 1080 all time, until GoWA on PS3...which was super jarring in the first hour, although lots of forumites praise this game for its high IQ.

I wonder the following: if devs want to crank up the detail level of the graphics, e.g. texture and shader detail...720p will clearly limit them due to the artifacts. I don't want to have super high details...where the whole image is jagged and constantly shimmering.

In conclusion: I vote 1080p.

Furthermore, lets not forget that it is not 1080p or 60Hz. This is per se not an exclusive festure. It is in the hands of the devs to deliver both, 1080p and 60Hz. In my test with PC, I am much less sensitive to actual quality of certain effects (medium or high setting is often good enough, no very high needed) which cost lots of performance to maintain framerate at 1080p.

Maybe the problem is with your TV. I've gamed at 1080p and 720p on mine and it's hard to tell the difference.

A higher resolution is great if you are seeing pixels but having photo-realistic graphics has little to do with actual resolution.

Show me a game in 1080p on a top end PC that can beat today's best CGI film running at a DVD resolution in terms of detail and realism...

Damn the public's quest for ever-increasing resolutions! we keep getting everything set back to zero again with regards instead of actually increasing the density of detail.

A higher resolution is great if you are seeing pixels but having photo-realistic graphics has little to do with actual resolution.

Show me a game in 1080p on a top end PC that can beat today's best CGI film running at a DVD resolution in terms of detail and realism...

Damn the public's quest for ever-increasing resolutions! we keep getting everything set back to zero again with regards instead of actually increasing the density of detail.

Best 1st post I've seen in months.

People who are condemning DICE's choice before even seeing the final product because it misses a checkbox need to get over themselves.

Back