Quantic Dream Old Man PS4 Demo 4K?

I don't understand why you're persisting with this. What is it you are trying to ascertain? the demo was rendered at 4k? The source material of the 15MP photograph is a blurry photo of an upscaled render. 4k is 2x2 times 1080p. There's not a single pixel in that image, either your 15 MP photo or my 720p closeup, that isn't blurred less than a 2 pixel Gaussian. There's no evidence that the detail is more than 1080p, and there cannot be any evidence as such because the resolving power of the higher resolution images is no better than a 1080p screenshot (or even SD screenshot in the case of Gubbi's test). Whatever detail you are seeing is in the model and the textures, and not in the rendering resolution or the projection.

I don't understand why you're persisting with this. What is it you are trying to ascertain? the demo was rendered at 4k? The source material of the 15MP photograph is a blurry photo of an upscaled render. 4k is 2x2 times 1080p. There's not a single pixel in that image, either your 15 MP photo or my 720p closeup, that isn't blurred less than a 2 pixel Gaussian. There's no evidence that the detail is more than 1080p, and there cannot be any evidence as such because the resolving power of the higher resolution images is no better than a 1080p screenshot (or even SD screenshot in the case of Gubbi's test). Whatever detail you are seeing is in the model and the textures, and not in the rendering resolution or the projection.

Huh? I haven't augured that it's 4K since the 1st post & even then I said that it might have just been really good upscaling.

I'm only asking questions because even when zoomed into the image I don't see any of the normal things that I would see in a 1080P or 720P game.

old.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Then what are you asking?! You haven't asked an actual question. You've linked to a photo and made some observations, but I don't see what the conversation is. It's repeatedly been said by several different folk that the source is too blurred to identify extra detail. And even if it did show more detail, what's the observation that you're making? It's like you've presented evidence in support of a view you haven't made. ;)

What are the faults you'd expect of a 1080p game that aren't present? Are those faults a limitation of current gen more than resolution? Would those faults be hidden by the same degree of blur your 15MP photo is showing?

I'm guessing that he expected to see some kind of artefacts, aliasing, what ever that would point to it being upscaled in anyway. A 15MP shot is some magnification, I think upon looking at it, he just expected to see some sort of pixel structure - that clearly isn't evident. Hence the question: is that reason for not seeing those down to upscaling, a very good projector, or perhaps a slightly out-of-focus shot by the camera (or a combination of all these) or could the footage that was shown indeed be from something higher res than 1080p?

Then what are you asking?! You haven't asked an actual question. You've linked to a photo and made some observations, but I don't see what the conversation is. It's repeatedly been said by several different folk that the source is too blurred to identify extra detail. And even if it did show more detail, what's the observation that you're making? It's like you've presented evidence in support of a view you haven't made. ;)

What are the faults you'd expect of a 1080p game that aren't present? Are those faults a limitation of current gen more than resolution? Would those faults be hidden by the same degree of blur your 15MP photo is showing?

The question I asked was if the Demo was 4K or if it was just really good up scaling.

& the reason for me asking was because I seen even more detail than what I had seen before of the old man when I seen photos that was above 1080P when I was able to zoom in closer on the image, which seemed strange to me because I was thinking "if the source is 1080P & the video & some of the pictures that I seen before was 1080P why am I seeing even more detail now that I'm zoomed in on the picture"

so basically it was more of me wondering how I was able to zoom into a small part of a image of a 1080P game & see more detail & not see jagged edges or anything.

I'm guessing that he expected to see some kind of artefacts, aliasing, what ever that would point to it being upscaled in anyway. A 15MP shot is some magnification, I think upon looking at it, he just expected to see some sort of pixel structure - that clearly isn't evident. Hence the question: is that reason for not seeing those down to upscaling, a very good projector, or perhaps a slightly out-of-focus shot by the camera (or a combination of all these) or could the footage that was shown indeed be from something higher res than 1080p?

Finally someone who understands.

I accepted their answer & I even said that it might just be a good upscaler in my 1st post I haven't been disagreeing with that.
So why then is this thread still an ongoing concern? :p

You asked; it's been answered.

Back